Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-15-2008, 09:18 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Hello Everyone

I just joined the Pentax forum.

Reason for this is that i now own Pentax equipment, well hope to do so in a couple of days when it gets delivered.

I was basically a Canon user, D40, 27-40, 50 1.4 and 70-200 4.0 and lots more, which I actually enjoyed using during the time i did.

I really got P'eed of with Canon when having my D40 serviced, to cut a long story short I was out of a camera for 6 weeks and after I complained I basically received a message that is was all my fault, should of read better etc. etc. I sold all my Canon related and decided to buy Pentax, and this because they have always come across as sympathetic to me, both the company as the users in the various forums. I have never even seen a Pentax Dslr in my life, let alone touch/handle one, but then I'm not a very demanding person, I'm sure it can make good pictures.... I also dislike the increasing "technology advancements" other companies are currently marketing... Face recognition, life view, etc. etc. I don't need that, and never ever used it....

So I bought a Kd20, a 18-250mm Pentax zoom lens for day to day use and a 31 and a 77 which app. cover my favourite focal lenght, and supposably they ought to be very good.

Anyway that was me, you will hear more from me soon ....

Getting all deeply in this gear stuff ..... I am Jan, Male Dutch nationality, living in Munich at the moment and moving to Valencia Spain in 2008-Q4/2009-Q1.

I have a wife and a 3 year old kid and conservatively split my time between work and family with a bit of free time in between .... I like photography, I like good images (my sort of images) and don't spend much time on evaluating stuff. If I buy a mega-zoo, I know what to expect and will use it with pleasure, if the corners drop off a bit ... so what. I make roughly 25K images a year (I do actually image everything) of which i print about 1000, of which 200 annually are hung somewhere in our house. Needles to mention that we have a large house filled up with photographic images documenting our lives on a weekly basis.

I process my images on a Mac and actually save all images I ever made, might downsize them a bit, but not one single one is ever trashed. I order them by date (moth/year to be exact) and store them internally on external HDisks and externally on Amazon S3.

I also make use of 2 Drobo's both 4x1TB, one USB for images and the other firewire 800 (since yesterday) for my films.... I like images, I used to do wet-room development with my Leica M4, I don't anymore but do occasionally make use of pin-hole 6x6's .... I print on an Epson printer 2400 and occasionally sell the odd image or film.

well that was me, hi

Last edited by JCdeR; 07-15-2008 at 09:33 AM. Reason: add-on
07-15-2008, 10:27 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Hi Jan, let me be the first to Welcome you to the forum.

That is quite a nice introduction - I like your attitude towards photography. I have no doubts you will like it here.
07-15-2008, 11:15 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Hi and welcome!

An idea... I was faced with the same issue as you, regaring hanging pictures all around the place. I bought a large (12 inches) digital frame, and now my worries have gone away. I have no problems showing all my pictures, one at a time, and I'm not forced to remove pictures I still like.

I cannot stand small 7 inches frames, however. Go with the real thing
07-15-2008, 11:27 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Digital frames .... questionable for me at least. I like having our residence covers in frames, and believe me it is (our cleaning lady always complains about the dust) but seriously I think we have over 1500 frames hanging around our house (from top to bottome), mostly 13x18cm hanging about the house, it's the mass I like not the variety.... We do however give digital frames to my mother.... and I have one standing on my desk .... we also try to keep the themes all in one place which means re-arranging
most of the time, but it provides a very homely atmosphere, although dusty and very cluttered

07-18-2008, 09:04 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
1500 frames? Wow. And I thought my walls were cluttered!

Go with what pleases you, after all, it's you who lives in this house