Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-05-2016, 05:22 PM   #1

Hello and a welcome return to DSLR country

Hey guys, newly registered here. First time owner of a Pentax DSLR and multiple time owner of the Ricoh GR. Like many I'm afflicted with GAS and spend more time obsessing about gear than actually going out to shoot. Most recently I'm shooting with the Olymous E-M1 after selling my Sony a7rII in favor of the Fuji X-Pro 2 and finding out that it wasn't my cup of tea. Instead of boring you with gear details, I'm excited to be a new owner of the Pentax K-1, it's coming in this Wednesday.

After finding myself not too satisfied with the IQ of the E-M1 even with the best of lenses, I was mulling a repurchase of the A7rII and loading up on the glass. I had a preorder for the 24-70GM. It dawned on me three nights ago to log onto B&H and check my order status when I saw the Pentax 24-70 option. Saw how it was shorter, smaller, and almost half the cost. Sure the GM seems like a great performer but for 2x the cost it better be. Then one thing lead to another and I spent the night reading up on the K-1. I was fully ready to move on from dslrs but it just kept on appealing to me more and more.

A high Rez sensor, the tilt screen, the dual card slot (vital for my mobile workflow I've embraced). GPS since I travel as much as I can with my family with two small kids. The pixel shift. The clean hi ISO. I was sold. What pushed me over the top was pricing. The a7rII ($3,200), the 24-70GM ($2,200), the 55 1.8 ($800) and the 85 Batis ($1,200), puts m at $7,400. Quite an investment. Also have to deal with shorter battery life, poorer ergonomics, and menu diving. The K-1 ($1,800), 24-70 ($1,300), 43 limited ($550) and 77 ($750) takes me to $4,300 or $3,100 less. Also get better ergonomics, close enough sensor, etc. only drawbacks I can see are size/weight (about 400 grams on the base body+24-70) and probably AF. Both system lack a touch screen, both lack an AF joystick. I would assume that both are equally as much a hassle to manually move the AF point. The Sony has the great eye AF and all those AF points while the K-1 doesn't have eye AF and onl 33.

But I'm looking forward to it. I shot with the D810, 50 1.8, and 24-120 f/4 for about a year before making the switch to Mirrorless and at that point I told myself I was done with dslrs. But just when I thought I was out, the K-1 seems to have pulled me back in.

06-05-2016, 05:55 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery
You can use you smart phone & the Wi-Fi feature to use your smart phone as a touch screen.
06-05-2016, 06:01 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jypfoto Quote
Hey guys, newly registered here. First time owner of a Pentax DSLR and multiple time owner of the Ricoh GR. Like many I'm afflicted with GAS and spend more time obsessing about gear than actually going out to shoot. Most recently I'm shooting with the Olymous E-M1 after selling my Sony a7rII in favor of the Fuji X-Pro 2 and finding out that it wasn't my cup of tea. Instead of boring you with gear details, I'm excited to be a new owner of the Pentax K-1, it's coming in this Wednesday.

After finding myself not too satisfied with the IQ of the E-M1 even with the best of lenses, I was mulling a repurchase of the A7rII and loading up on the glass. I had a preorder for the 24-70GM. It dawned on me three nights ago to log onto B&H and check my order status when I saw the Pentax 24-70 option. Saw how it was shorter, smaller, and almost half the cost. Sure the GM seems like a great performer but for 2x the cost it better be. Then one thing lead to another and I spent the night reading up on the K-1. I was fully ready to move on from dslrs but it just kept on appealing to me more and more.

A high Rez sensor, the tilt screen, the dual card slot (vital for my mobile workflow I've embraced). GPS since I travel as much as I can with my family with two small kids. The pixel shift. The clean hi ISO. I was sold. What pushed me over the top was pricing. The a7rII ($3,200), the 24-70GM ($2,200), the 55 1.8 ($800) and the 85 Batis ($1,200), puts m at $7,400. Quite an investment. Also have to deal with shorter battery life, poorer ergonomics, and menu diving. The K-1 ($1,800), 24-70 ($1,300), 43 limited ($550) and 77 ($750) takes me to $4,300 or $3,100 less. Also get better ergonomics, close enough sensor, etc. only drawbacks I can see are size/weight (about 400 grams on the base body+24-70) and probably AF. Both system lack a touch screen, both lack an AF joystick. I would assume that both are equally as much a hassle to manually move the AF point. The Sony has the great eye AF and all those AF points while the K-1 doesn't have eye AF and onl 33.

But I'm looking forward to it. I shot with the D810, 50 1.8, and 24-120 f/4 for about a year before making the switch to Mirrorless and at that point I told myself I was done with dslrs. But just when I thought I was out, the K-1 seems to have pulled me back in.
Congrats on the purchase! On the K-1, it's really easy to move AF points around: just use the directional buttons after putting the AF in SEL mode.

I'd also recommend setting custom function #20 if you plan to frequently move the AF point around, as otherwise you have to toggle AF point selection using the little button above the 4-way controller. With this custom function set, the 4-way controller always controls the AF points, and you instead press on the little button to gain access to the drive mode/white balance/JPEG custom image menus.

Details below:
Pentax K-1 Review - Recommended Settings | PentaxForums.com Reviews

You might also wish to read the focus page in the review for more information on the different AF modes and how to access them.

Pentax K-1 Review - Focusing | PentaxForums.com Reviews

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-05-2016, 06:07 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome to the forums, Hopefully the K-1 will meet most of your expectations.

06-05-2016, 09:53 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
It's been a really fun and amazing couple of weeks with the K-1. Been trying out a bunch of K-mount lenses and there are a lot of lenses that I didn't think would do that well that are really surprising me which means there are a lot of high quality glass for not much money. This site has a lens review section that is as good as any if a touch exuberant at times from happy owners. In any case, hope this is the camera you've been looking for and you can settle into taking good pics instead of learning new gear. But of course in the short term, there will be a learning curve, but the rewards are worth the effort IMO. Good luck and let us know if we can help!
06-05-2016, 10:02 PM   #6
Closed Account

But just when I thought I was out, the K-1 seems to have pulled me back in.

Hi jypfoto. Welcome to the Pentax forums. The K-1 has certainly sparked the interest of many. Good luck.
06-06-2016, 02:31 PM   #7
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
spend more time obsessing about gear than actually going out to shoot
Welcome aboard, you've no excuse now... as a K1 owner, just get out there shooting, forget gear, it's all about the image.