Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-05-2016, 08:17 PM   #1

Hello

It's been a long time coming [since way before the 'innerwebs'] but, I have finally raised my K-Mount flag; My first SLR was a Pentax SF-10 and have had a difficult time using any other brand to my satisfaction. What has prompted me to come to the neighborhood, so to speak, is that my first non-previously owned [i.e. brand-new-in-the-box] Pentax DSLR, the K-3 Gunmetal Prestige Edition with matching battery grip and 18-270mm zoom, was recently stolen [April 19 2016] and though I've filed a police report, I can't just sit and trust that everything will be alright, given enough time. Needless to say; as soon as I'm finished writing this, I'm heading straight over to the serial number database to fire off another signal flare in this situation.

I Love Pentax - there have not been any other machines that have performed as well for me as my trusty workhorses have over the last 30 years. I have used others cameras, but in terms of overall quality of performance, image/color rendering and build, nothing beats a Pentax. The loyalist in the other camps constantly claiming that the opposite is true, but I have compared them right where it counts: the image, and in the real world Pentax performs much better than the biased reviews would have you believe.

Last edited by Jonitron; 07-05-2016 at 09:25 AM.
06-05-2016, 09:58 PM   #2
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonitron Quote
in the real world Pentax performs much better than the bias reviews would have you believe.

Hi Jonitron. Welcome to the Pentax forums. You have hit the nail squarely on the head there !!! Very bad news about your Prestige, I hope you get it back soon. Good luck.
06-06-2016, 02:27 PM   #3
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Welcome to the forum, sorry to hear your news, just the excuse you need now with insurance funds to go get a K1 perhaps.
07-05-2016, 09:37 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Welcome to the forum, sorry to hear your news, just the excuse you need now with insurance funds to go get a K1 perhaps.
Thanks for your words of encouragement and my apologies for not responding sooner. Life has been a rather rough sea of late; I just now making the attempt to normal life after a short hospital stay so my hopes of seeing my electronic friend again have dimmed significantly as I have been preoccupied with my recovery and health adjustments. I'm going to keep moving forward and perhaps devise a plan around a replacement. As glowingly wonderful as the prospect sounds, a K1 will not be in the budget for a while yet.

07-05-2016, 09:56 AM   #5
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonitron Quote
Thanks for your words of encouragement
I wish you a speedy recovery, there are plenty of fine preowned Pentax cameras on the forum marketplace, which could get you rolling again once you feel able.
07-05-2016, 10:09 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pjv Quote
Hi Jonitron. Welcome to the Pentax forums. You have hit the nail squarely on the head there !!! Very bad news about your Prestige, I hope you get it back soon. Good luck.
Thanks. It's true, I have seen reviews and comparisons of the K3 with other comparable machines [complete with 'examples'] that portray the Pentax as inferior in both image quality and high ISO noise response but having shot with other cameras, I can still say that the Pentax is far superior to its reviews. This image of pizza and cake at a farewell party a few years back was shot hand-held under office lighting conditions at f/6.3 1/250 sec ISO 8000