Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-06-2016, 05:46 PM   #1
Unregistered

Hello from Los Angeles, CA

Hello everyone!

I am a college student looking to get back into photography. A couple of years back, I started out with a K100D Super, and now I'm trying to make photography more of a persistent hobby instead of just on vacations and stuff. In particular, I am interested in landscape and long-exposure stuff. I'm also learning how to use Lightroom with RAW, instead of just using JPEG right out of the camera.

Currently, I do not have any gear besides the K100D Super and kit 18-55mm lens, both of which I'm planning to give to a sibling. My main complaints with the K100D Super are the slow autofocus and poor low-light performance. Would I be good staring off with a K-3 II and 16-85mm lens? It's kind of pricey, but if it's worth it, then I won't have an issue buying it.

Thanks!

06-06-2016, 08:44 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome!

I do not own the K-3II, but do have the 16-85, which I can recommend. Your projected purchase looks like a great avenue of approach.

Good luck.
06-06-2016, 08:47 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tediscool310 Quote
Hello everyone!

I am a college student looking to get back into photography. A couple of years back, I started out with a K100D Super, and now I'm trying to make photography more of a persistent hobby instead of just on vacations and stuff. In particular, I am interested in landscape and long-exposure stuff. I'm also learning how to use Lightroom with RAW, instead of just using JPEG right out of the camera.

Currently, I do not have any gear besides the K100D Super and kit 18-55mm lens, both of which I'm planning to give to a sibling. My main complaints with the K100D Super are the slow autofocus and poor low-light performance. Would I be good staring off with a K-3 II and 16-85mm lens? It's kind of pricey, but if it's worth it, then I won't have an issue buying it.

Thanks!
First of all, welcome to the Forum, good to have you on board. I have found my Pentax K100D Super with the 18~55mm lens to be an outstanding performer. I have no problems with slow auto focus. The camera takes the readings and "Presto", we are in business. As far as low light conditions, true it is not a fast lens, but it does have a built-in flash that for me, works very well. I have read many, many glowing reports regarding the K-3 II. I do not know about the 16~85mm lens. Good luck with that.

Adios,

Anthonio
06-06-2016, 09:45 PM   #4
Unregistered

Thanks for the welcome!

One other thing I was considering: If I purchase the K-3 II and 16-85mm separately, it will be $1350 USD. I can alternatively get the K-3 and 18-135mm bundle for $990 USD. The benefits I can think of in the K-3 II vs. K-3 are Pixel-Shift and GPS. The benefits of the 16-85mm lens vs. 18-135mm lens are less vignetting and wide-angle. Did I miss anything else, and do you you guys think I should spend the extra $360 USD?

06-06-2016, 09:58 PM   #5
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by tediscool310 Quote
Would I be good staring off with a K-3 II and 16-85mm lens?

Hi tediscool310. Welcome to the Pentax forums. Either the K-3 or the K-3 II are excellent performers. If you go to the " sample photo gallery " you can enter either camera body with many lenses to see what other members have achieved with that combination. It is worth a look if you are wanting to buy a certain body or lens. Good luck with your choices.
06-07-2016, 06:46 AM   #6
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, enjoy your photography even more with all these proposed kit additions.