Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-13-2016, 06:28 AM - 1 Like   #1

Hello from Regional Australia!

Hey all,
As a resident of Mildura, a regional town near the top of Victoria, I'm constantly surrounded by the beauty of nature and I can't help but want to start taking photos.
Pentax as a company in the camera market has drawn my attention! I'm currently saving up for a K-1 and look forward to getting snap happy!!
Charles.

06-13-2016, 08:28 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forums Charles. The K-1 should definitely give you nice nature/landscape images from your scenic surroundings. Good luck.
06-13-2016, 12:13 PM   #3
Moderator PEG Judges

Welcome to the forum, there are many here from "down under" so you should feel right at home.
06-13-2016, 05:09 PM   #4
Des
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Welcome Charles. It's a harsh and beautiful environment up your way. Mungo, Murray-Sunset, the Mallee parks, the river, vineyards and orchards - endless photo ops.

The K-1 is wonderful value, and we are seeing great results. But don't overlook APS-C: you'll find a K-3 or K-3ii can give you extraordinary images, and leave more change for lenses and accessories.

Great birding up your way - I'd be giving priority to a telephoto lens if I were you. The DFA 150-450 is the current gold standard - it's just rather hefty and expensive. The DA*300 + 1.4x teleconverter is a lighter alternative and maybe a little cheaper.

06-13-2016, 05:30 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

You have some stunning country out there, Charles...look forward to seeing some shots.
06-13-2016, 10:06 PM   #6
pjv
Eager To Learn

QuoteOriginally posted by Charles Hutcheon Quote
I'm currently saving up for a K-1 and look forward to getting snap happy!!

Hi Charles. Welcome to the Pentax forums mate. Mildura is a lovely part of the world, so I hope it is not too long a wait before you start posting some photographs.
06-14-2016, 12:29 AM   #7

Hi Charles

Everywhere inland from mildura is a treasure trove of photographic possibilities, excellent spot to be located! Often thought how good it would be to be living up there... portraits and street shots in mildura, broken hill and menindee... landscape around mungo and the lakes, murray, darling... astrophotography....

K-1 will soak it all up.
06-14-2016, 01:49 AM   #8
Site Supporter

G'day mate and welcome to the forum

I have visited Mildura a few times, love swimming in the Murray.

06-14-2016, 02:10 AM   #9
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome!

As you already know, I have a big soft spot for Mildura, having lived there for a couple of years. I need to make an excuse to visit again.

I can't wait to see your images. Hot air ballooning anyone?
06-14-2016, 07:03 AM - 1 Like   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
Welcome Charles. It's a harsh and beautiful environment up your way. Mungo, Murray-Sunset, the Mallee parks, the river, vineyards and orchards - endless photo ops.

The K-1 is wonderful value, and we are seeing great results. But don't overlook APS-C: you'll find a K-3 or K-3ii can give you extraordinary images, and leave more change for lenses and accessories.

Great birding up your way - I'd be giving priority to a telephoto lens if I were you. The DFA 150-450 is the current gold standard - it's just rather hefty and expensive. The DA*300 + 1.4x teleconverter is a lighter alternative and maybe a little cheaper.
I did consider going with a K-3/ii but I think in the end I'll be more drawn to landscape and Astronomy photography and I don't want to invest in aps-c only to end up moving to a full frame slightly down the track for that landscape capability. I'm also an absolute sucker for new technology!

I also don't see myself being super passionate about chasing bird shots, although no doubt I will do some in time.

---------- Post added 06-14-16 at 07:12 AM ----------

Also thanks everyone for your lovely welcomes! So refreshing and encouraging to read such nice things about my hometown, unfortunately there's a lot of negativity towards it from the youth of this town (Being a fresh young man heard a lot of talk through school about leaving and not wanting to return! That's the majority of the new generation for you :/), makes me proud to live here!