Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-16-2016, 05:06 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
I believe Paul might have been talking about a older card reader not seeing your larger card, especially since you're using a SDXC instead of a SDHC card. But if you are using the USB cable, that wouldn't or shouldn't be a problem on Vista.
Yes, I was talking about an older card reader that was unable to read the larger capacity cards (32+ gb). It would not read them on Win7 or Linux Mint, and I ended up buying a new card reader compatible with larger capacity cards. The hardware in the card reader was unable to detect them.

06-16-2016, 05:23 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by shart4legged Quote
No, no messages no sounds. Its like nothing was introduced to the computer.
Silkypix sees that there is a card (drive F but does not open the files
I have SilkyPix but I have never uploaded through it so I don't know if there could be a problem there. Did you try viewing the files through Windows Explorer, you should also be able to view and import them through the Windows file structure..
06-16-2016, 05:29 PM   #18

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
Yes, I was talking about an older card reader that was unable to read the larger capacity cards (32+ gb). It would not read them on Win7 or Linux Mint, and I ended up buying a new card reader compatible with larger capacity cards. The hardware in the card reader was unable to detect them.
AHH HA! Another Linux Mint user! Lnux is actually my favorite OS for photo and video tasks. I have already tried to down load using Mint with the same results. The OS doesn't even know I am there. This was a shock to me because Grub never missed any other camera have used, and I have used some real junk. I was hoping a quality camera would be a pleasure to use.... So far- won't even make it as a boat anchor. In this day of TeraByte HDs what is few gig?
06-16-2016, 05:45 PM   #19
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Does an extra drive show up in Explorer?

You say Silkpix sees the files on drive F, do you see that drive in your list of drives under Windows Explorer?

06-16-2016, 05:47 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Make sure your PC does have this update to read 64gb cards:
64 bit: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=5292

32 bit: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=4271
06-16-2016, 05:54 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For Mint you will need to download and install 2 files: exfat-fuse and exfat-utils. Then Mint can see the cards larger than 32G.
06-17-2016, 01:12 PM   #22
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
I'll just say welcome to the forum, can't really help as I run an fruit alternative OS system to windys.

06-18-2016, 06:56 AM   #23

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
Does an extra drive show up in Explorer?

You say Silkpix sees the files on drive F, do you see that drive in your list of drives under Windows Explorer?
I want to say thanks to all of you who took time out of their day to help me figure this out. Sorry I didn't post yesterday, I was quite literally knocked of the internet. One of my horses knocked down my dish that allows me to connect to the net. I hope to go into town today and buy a smaller sd card. I will report what happens then.Hopefully I will be able to download pics then. As this is my first DSLR I look forward to using this forum for advice and information. Thanks again from a 63 year old "newbie" living in rural eastern Colorado.
06-18-2016, 07:12 AM   #24
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by shart4legged Quote
I hope to go into town today and buy a smaller sd card.
Instead of a smaller SD card, buy a USB controlled memory card reader. Easier than plugging the camera into a USB port and it won't drain the batteries in your camera as a cable will do if you leave it plugged in awhile.
06-24-2016, 12:33 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think if you do those Vista downloads you can use your larger card just fine, and get those images off the card.