Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-17-2016, 07:13 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Happy to read the opinions

I am new to Pentax Forums. I have been a Canon user since 1968. I have many of those lenses and bodies. However, this new Pentax K1 seems to have a lot of features that I really want and can not get from Canon. I have spent days gathering information and opinions about K1. What I want this camera body for is outdoor macro work. I believe that I can do low angle photography much more easily with the swing out LCD back. At 72 years old it is more difficult for me to get down flat onto the ground, take a picture, then get back up again. I have used external monitors with my Canons, but that creates more problems all by itself. I am just about ready to purchase this K1 with a 100mm macro lens. It is in my "shopping basket" at Adorama for the last two days while I ensure myself that this camera will live up to my expectations. Anybody with a lot of experience doing macro work with K1 please share some ideas with me.
Is it possible to magnify the view on the LCD screen before the shutter is released?

06-17-2016, 08:42 AM   #2
Pentaxian

What kind of macro are you talking about? I mean how small is small in your world? What kind of subject matter are you talking about? And what kind of 'zoom' are you looking for 1:1 or what?

As a whole for what I would think you simply can't go wrong for the situation you've described. I think some other brands offer more powerful dedicated macro lenses that go beyond 1:1 but if that will do you lens wise I don't think you will ever find anything better. I am not saying that because I own Pentax I am just saying between the WR and the design and the WR lens you could technically sit indian style on the ground and put your camera in the dirt without fear.

When I was in Africa my camera got COMPLETELY covered in super fine dust. I mean my camera looked tan instead of black...so when I got home I just took a shower and brought my camera in and washed it off leaving a big mud puddle. No harm no foul. Try that with Canikon.
06-17-2016, 09:39 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lenscracker Quote
Is it possible to magnify the view on the LCD screen before the shutter is released?
Yes, this is sometimes called "punch-in magnification", it can be achieved in live view by simply hitting the "OK" button. There is also focus peaking which highlights edges that are in focus so you can tell where in the scene, front to back, your plane of focus falls.
06-17-2016, 12:18 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here's an image I did with the K-1 and a Sigma 105mm macro at about 1:1. I would have wanted more DoF in the image but I was hand holding and the day was so breezy I could not risk a lower shutter speed! The K-1 is great for these applications!

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
06-17-2016, 01:19 PM   #5
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
I ensure myself that this camera will live up to my expectations
Welcome, have a good look round the forum at some of the quite stunning imagery that's being posted from the K1s, hopefully that will helpful to you in making your decision.
06-17-2016, 05:08 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Yep, 16x magnification.

Of course you can send that to your phone or tablet or HDMI to a screen as well.
06-18-2016, 07:38 AM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks

This is exactly the information I was looking for. I will order my K1 today. Thanks for your reply.

06-18-2016, 05:20 PM   #8
Veteran Member

What I want this camera body for is outdoor macro work. I believe that I can do low angle photography much more easily with the swing out LCD back.
WR, big viewfinder, Live view with digital zoom and focus peaking, and Pixel Shift make this camera a great choice for outdoor macro.

Especially when you look at articles like these: Pentax K-1 Review - Pixel Shift in the Studio - REDred Photo School | Photography Classes in Seattle | REDred Photo School | Photography Classes in Seattle
diglloyd: Pentax 100mm f/2.8 Macro Aperture Series: 'Map' (Pentax K1 SuperRes)
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/190-pentax-k-1/323583-k1-outdoor-macro-pi...so-8000-a.html

DFA 100mm WR is a great lens, but note that it does not have aperture ring, so you generally cannot use it on bellows and most extension tubes and really old film SLRs (well, you can, but you will have problems setting aperture to anything other than minimum or wide open). The previous DFA version is not WR, but it has some different barrel and features. Older still are FA and F versions, which again have slightly different build and features. But all of these share the same optical lineage, and all of these have very high IQ.
06-18-2016, 06:26 PM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for all the helpful information from you guys. I am quite well experienced with close-up photography and I have some top of the line gear with which to do it. This K1 seems to have options that I can not get elsewhere. I wanted to get confirmation before I spent the money. You all convinced me that the reviews I have been reading are for real. I just went to the Ado**** web site where I had the K1 and 100mm macro lens in my shopping basket. Guess what, in the couple of days I spent researching this camera it has disappeared from stock and is now on the backorder list. The other place I usually buy from is also out of stock (B&* *hotovideo), so now I am in the waiting game.
06-18-2016, 07:31 PM   #10
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Thanks for all the helpful information from you guys. I am quite well experienced with close-up photography and I have some top of the line gear with which to do it. This K1 seems to have options that I can not get elsewhere. I wanted to get confirmation before I spent the money. You all convinced me that the reviews I have been reading are for real. I just went to the Ado**** web site where I had the K1 and 100mm macro lens in my shopping basket. Guess what, in the couple of days I spent researching this camera it has disappeared from stock and is now on the backorder list. The other place I usually buy from is also out of stock (B&* *hotovideo), so now I am in the waiting game.

Welcome to Pentax Forums!

B&H, and Adorama are forum supporters, it is OK to mention them here.

Also, when the gear you are after does become available click through one of the banners here to make the purchase. Doing so will earn you site supporter status and help support the forum.

Check it out here: [url=https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/58-troubleshooting-beginner-help/128050-where-buy-your-photo-gear-support-us-get-free-account-upgrade.html] Shop Here And Get Free Site Supporter Status[\url]
06-19-2016, 09:19 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I will order my K1 today.
I hope you'll return and share your photos with us once you receive the K-1 and lens.
06-19-2016, 07:16 PM   #12
Forum Member

Original Poster
I have never shared my photos online before. I may start doing that once in a while. The Pentax K-1 will probably inspire me to do that. Thank you for asking robgski.
06-28-2016, 08:52 AM   #13
Forum Member

Original Poster
Elephant Garlic in my garden

QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
I hope you'll return and share your photos with us once you receive the K-1 and lens.
This is my first close up subject with the K1.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
06-30-2016, 09:57 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The sharpness on that image is astounding, I think you made a good choice.
06-30-2016, 10:04 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This is my first close up subject with the K1.
Has the tilting screen been what you hoped?