Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-22-2016, 02:44 PM   #1

Old Film Pentaxian back with Pentax Digital

I shot slide film with Pentax for 10 years 1978 to 1988 with my ME, LX and MX bodies with Pentax M lenses. 20F4, 28F3.5, 50F1.7, 85F2, 100F4 Macro, 40-80 F2.8~4 and 80-200F4.5. Had a couple of lenses like the 135F3.5 that I sold.

The colors with pentax glass and with a polarizer for landscape on slides were just amazing. No with film being obsolete, I still wanted a FF DSLR to use with those old manual lenses. I just didn't want to do crop and so I waited very patiently . In the meantime I shot Canon EOS crop and FF.

Now 40 years later, with the K1 and its excellent FF sensor + in body image stabilization, I took the plunge and ordered a K1 today!!! I did shoot some slide film on my MX between 1988 till now, but it just so cumbersome to scan it in etc. But the magic was still there in those slide pictures. Im sure the K1 will keep my old lenses relevant still.

I'm going to wait for new Pentax AF HD-D-FA lenses for the K1 a while since they really have a few lenses selling at MSRP etc.

Anant

06-22-2016, 02:49 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to Pentax Forums Anant.

And congratulations on the new camera.
06-22-2016, 02:56 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by AYD Quote
Now 40 years later, with the K1 and its excellent FF sensor + in body image stabilization, I took the plunge and ordered a K1 today!!! I did shoot some slide film on my MX between 1988 till now, but it just so cumbersome to scan it in etc. But the magic was still there in those slide pictures. Im sure the K1 will keep my old lenses relevant still.
A great choice. Congrats!

It will be interesting to see how the planned D FA primes turn out.

Until then maybe you'd be interested in the D FA 28-105mm? It's compact and quite sharp.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

06-22-2016, 03:32 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forums. I hope you enjoy your new camera.

06-22-2016, 10:07 PM   #5
pjv
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi Anant. Welcome to the Pentax forums.
06-23-2016, 04:02 AM   #6
AYD

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
A great choice. Congrats!

It will be interesting to see how the planned D FA primes turn out.

Until then maybe you'd be interested in the D FA 28-105mm? It's compact and quite sharp.
Yes, I was looking at the D-FA 28-105. Its the right size but I want to try out my manual focus lenses first.

I prepared a "dummy's guide or cheat sheet" for myself to using completely manual Pentax lenses K or M series lenses, not A or later as follows (in anticipation of the camera coming tomorrow):

Let me know if I'm missing anything, specific to a K-1 only since the menus are slightly different from previous ASP-C cameras.

TIA, Anant

PENTAX K-1
Steps for Pentax M-series Lens Use

I. SETTING THE SHAKE REDUCTION FOR A M-series LENS

The Shake Reduction function operates by obtaining the lens
Information such as focal length. Set the focal length when
using a lens that the focal length information cannot be automatically obtained.

1. With Camera OFF without lens mounted, Set mode dial to M (Manual Mode).

2. Turn ON camera. Go to Custom Setting Menu C4. Set [26 Using Aperture Ring] to “Enable”.
3. Turn the camera OFF.

4. Attach a lens to the camera and turn the camera ON.
The [Input Focal Length] screen appears.

5. Use Up/down arrows to set the lens focal length.
Press (left arrow) to select a value from the list.
When using a zoom lens, select the actual focal length which the zoom is set to.

6. Press OK.
The camera returns to standby mode.

Note:
• The focal length setting can be changed in “Input Focal Length” of the Camera Record Mode (Camera Symbol)-4 menu.

II. HOW TO ACHIEVE THE CORRECT EXPOSURE FOR A M-series LENS

The correct exposure can be achieved by the following steps on an M lens.

1. Set the mode dial to M (Manual Mode). Do not use any other modes (P Av S Tv)

2. Set the aperture ring to the desired aperture.

3. Press green dot O. The correct shutter speed will be set.

4. If the correct exposure cannot be achieved, adjust the ISO sensitivity.

IMORTANT: Always turn the camera off before mounting and dismounting a lens.
06-23-2016, 06:23 AM   #7
Moderator PEG Judges

Welcome, I'm sure you'll enjoy that K1 once you get your hands on her.
06-23-2016, 06:26 AM   #8
Moderator PEG Judges

Welcome, I'm sure you'll enjoy the K1 once you get your hands on her.

06-23-2016, 07:17 AM   #9

Im sure the K1 will keep my old lenses relevant still.

I'm going to wait for new Pentax AF HD-D-FA lenses for the K1 a while since they really have a few lenses selling at MSRP etc.

Anant, I use my old lenses all the time. My K100d lets me know when I'm in focus, which is nice because my eyes don't work as well at that as they used too. I have a few current lenses but I never go out without at least one, usually two old lenses in my bag, and I mean pre-auto-focus, pre-everything lenses. Good, old glass is still good glass.

Enjoy!

Mark
06-23-2016, 01:52 PM   #10
Administrator
Site Webmaster

II. HOW TO ACHIEVE THE CORRECT EXPOSURE FOR A M-series LENS
You also need to set a custom function to allow use of the aperture ring.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/54-pentax-lens-articles/110657-how-use-me...k-x-k-7-a.html

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

06-24-2016, 04:43 AM   #11
AYD

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
You also need to set a custom function to allow use of the aperture ring.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/54-pentax-lens-articles/110657-how-use-me...k-x-k-7-a.html
Thanks for the link, Adam. I'll update my procedure.

My K-1 arrives today! If my old 28F3.5 M lens works as good as it did on my first SLR, a Pentax ME, Ill be in heaven. Like a sweet scent from the past.

Will look at D-FA and limited lenses when I can find the money and time, which I should when I retire in a few years.
06-24-2016, 04:45 AM   #12
AYD

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mark Freburg Quote
Anant, I use my old lenses all the time. My K100d lets me know when I'm in focus, which is nice because my eyes don't work as well at that as they used too. I have a few current lenses but I never go out without at least one, usually two old lenses in my bag, and I mean pre-auto-focus, pre-everything lenses. Good, old glass is still good glass.

Enjoy!

Mark
Mark, good to know. I have 7 old M lenses in pristine condition, can't wait to try them on.

Once I set the camera up to use them correctly, that is. I'll then enjoy the simplicity of a Pentax MX again.