Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-23-2016, 03:57 AM   #1

German Greetings

Hello everyone!

Coming from a Nikon 1 V1 I wasn't quite satisfied any more with resolution, picture quality and sensitivity, so I looked around for some time for an APS-C sensor sized camera. It took a while to see beyond what Nikon's entry level cameras were offering (Canon was never really an option) to find the amazing feature set (especially regarding the price) Pentax put in even their entry level cameras.
So now that the D3300 wouldn't match my desires any longer, the K50 was the logical step. Was it? It would have been, but I did find a nicely priced K-S2 kit with the 18-135, so I invested some more for swivel screen etc., and I didn't regret it. A cheap Tamron 70-300 and a plastic fantastic DA 50 complete my kit for now, but I'm looking forward to getting a Sigma 17-50 short-term (perhaps dismissing the DA 50 then? I feel I have to stop it down for best quality anyways, so if I can use the Sigma wide open, the DA 50 will eventually have to go), a UWW and a better tele mid-term.

I'm not quite satisfied with the pictures the 18-135 delivered so far, but that's probably because I've been pushing the camera's limits too far feeling so confident about high ISO capabilities I really like the sharpness of the DA 50 so far. The Tamron is ok, especially for the money, as far as I can tell now.

Gotta get out and make some more realistic test shots with the 18-135 to see if I'll keep it.
I'm shooting way too little for my liking. What am I shooting anyways? Occasionally friends, wildlife/zoo, landscapes/cityscapes (typical tourist stuff),...

Anyways, the very nice in-depth tests and reviews on this site contributed a lot to get me to get a Pentax, and what I can see so far (been reading for a few weeks here already) the people on this forum are all very nice and helpful, and I do enjoy reading discussions and looking at your beautiful pictures here, and perhaps I'll contribute something myself soon.

06-23-2016, 04:33 AM   #2
pjv
Eager To Learn

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ehrwien Quote
and perhaps I'll contribute something myself soon.

Hi ehrwien. Welcome to the Pentax forums. The 18-135 is a good general purpose, walk around lens. I think the more you test it, the more you will like it. Hope to see some of your photographs soon.
06-23-2016, 05:00 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Greetings! I lived in various places in Hessen and Bayern during the 12 years I lived in Germany, it's a beautiful place!

QuoteOriginally posted by pjv Quote
he 18-135 is a good general purpose, walk around lens
I assume you have the WR version of the 18-135. Being able to be out in bad weather without worry allows you to take some great shots!

I recommend keeping a prime 50mm, no matter what other zooms you have that overlap that range. A prime generally gives you a wider aperture than any zoom.

Consider joining the Single In group, we use the same lens, every day, for one month. It has helped me really learn the lens I have, in a variety of situations. since most of us will use a variety of lenses and camera in the same month, you can get an idea of what your next lens might be.
06-23-2016, 05:44 AM   #4
smf
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome and best wishes.

06-23-2016, 06:20 AM   #5
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
Welcome, sounds like you need to make more "me" time... For you and Pentax.
06-24-2016, 08:18 AM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks, everyone!

QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
I assume you have the WR version of the 18-135. Being able to be out in bad weather without worry allows you to take some great shots!.
Oh right, it's the WR version. In my attempt to use the shortest term to describe the lens I neglected the other version(s?).
WR was of course a major factor to get a Pentax in the first place and then a sealed lens to go with it in the second, because how would I benefit from a sealed camera without a suitable lens to go with it?
But now that I spent that money on camera and lens, I'm still overly protective of it and afraid that I'll overstress the sealings and ruin camera and/or lens And I'm not so sure that I can keep all the sealings dust-free when changing batteries or cards. And the battery tray cover looking a bit loose doesn't help much with that, either But I guess when I'm on a hike and it starts to rain and I want to take some shots, I'll be confident enough to do so

QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
Consider joining the Single In group, we use the same lens, every day, for one month. It has helped me really learn the lens I have, in a variety of situations. since most of us will use a variety of lenses and camera in the same month, you can get an idea of what your next lens might be.
Will definitely have a look, thanks.
06-24-2016, 11:07 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

In my experience the 18-135 is best below the 100mm range, and stopped down a bit. It's a good zoom, and the motorized focus makes it a pleasure to use.

Eventually you may want to get other lenses, but think about what you want to do better than what you can do with what you have - then search for the lens to provide that function.
Personally I think 50mm is often too tight for much of what we generally want to photograph. I really like the 21mm on my K3II (and the K5 before that). It's a great wide FL.

Welcome to the clubhouse!
06-24-2016, 09:57 PM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
In my experience the 18-135 is best below the 100mm range, and stopped down a bit. It's a good zoom, and the motorized focus makes it a pleasure to use.

Eventually you may want to get other lenses, but think about what you want to do better than what you can do with what you have - then search for the lens to provide that function.
Personally I think 50mm is often too tight for much of what we generally want to photograph. I really like the 21mm on my K3II (and the K5 before that). It's a great wide FL.

Welcome to the clubhouse!
I second that; for street photography I use my 35mm by default and still I often find myself stepping back when framing a picture. (anyone got a nice Zeiss 20-25mm prime? )

MfG aus 47533 Kleve

06-25-2016, 06:45 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

Also, I prefer primes (though i'd like to have the 18-135 as a walk around lens), because I find that if I move around to get the shot, I pay more attention to what I am shooting and how it is composed. I get lazy with a zoom.

Most of my primes are used, because I don't like to spend money, and most are wide angle, because that's how I "see" the shot, and I do a lot of city and landscape photos. Funny thing is, I often wind up cropping out a lot in PP, because it's only then that I realize what made me take the shot. I must always remind myself to slow down and really compose the shot.

I look forward to seeing your pictures