Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-23-2016, 09:29 AM - 1 Like   #1

Hello from Midwest USA

Hi everyone. Hard-core Pentax fan. Started with a Brownie as a child, went to a rangefinder that my dad bought in Germany in the 1950s--used it for high school photography class. Had some point & shoots for a few years then got an ME from my dad when he upgraded to a Super Program. The ME convinced me Pentax was for me and I soon added a new K1000SE. That was my kit for years. Then I got a Ricoh (kinda same same?) XR-P, which was then stolen along with my beloved ME from an upscale hotel room in Chicago, along with my main camera bag and all my lenses. Fortunately I had my K-1000 and a Vivitar Series 1 24-70 lens in a small case elsewhere that was overlooked. Next I bought a used but excellent MX--I know, from program everything to nothing but manual. (I still enjoy thinking about exposure.) Later I acquired a P3 and then a P30T. At this late date I don't know what prompted me to get both. Ultimately I inherited my father's mint Super Program, and I still own all those film cameras. All are fully operational and in excellent or better condition.

As my dad got older he had purchased a K100d, but rarely used it, preferring a simple Minolta digital he also had. I had resisted digital for a long time, but finally picked up a cheap digital camera just to simplify posting online. Dad offered me his K100d, and when I found out it was backward compatible with the dozen or so lenses I already owned, I took it.

Photography, but it has always been part of me. Today I am still shooting with the K100d, and I don't feel shortchanged. (I also use a Canon G9 for family snapshots and some still life stuff. Nice for a non-SLR, and it has a viewfinder.) I'm keeping the film cameras, though I am not motivated to fool with film. I'm not really an equipment geek, though I certainly understand the mindset. I've never been one to buy lenses like new toys all the time, though I did just buy a Tamron AF 70-300mm f/4.0-5.6 Di LD Macro Zoom Lens. To me, this is just a focal length I wanted and could afford.

I may add a second body sometime, just because I've always liked carrying two bodies, each with a different, purpose-driven lens attached for a quick grab. It will be a Pentax digital SLR, but probably used, not new, as there have been several excellent cameras in the ten years since my K100d came out. In casual research the K10d looked like it might be a nice second (or primary body) for my modest needs/desires. I'll stick to APS-C as I don't want to essentially obsolete my lenses.

I will be reading more on this forum and perhaps asking questions as well. --Mark

06-23-2016, 10:28 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mark Freburg Quote
Hi everyone. Hard-core Pentax fan. Started with a Brownie as a child, went to a rangefinder that my dad bought in Germany in the 1950s--used it for high school photography class. Had some point & shoots for a few years then got an ME from my dad when he upgraded to a Super Program. The ME convinced me Pentax was for me and I soon added a new K1000SE. That was my kit for years. Then I got a Ricoh (kinda same same?) XR-P, which was then stolen along with my beloved ME from an upscale hotel room in Chicago, along with my main camera bag and all my lenses. Fortunately I had my K-1000 and a Vivitar Series 1 24-70 lens in a small case elsewhere that was overlooked. Next I bought a used but excellent MX--I know, from program everything to nothing but manual. (I still enjoy thinking about exposure.) Later I acquired a P3 and then a P30T. At this late date I don't know what prompted me to get both. Ultimately I inherited my father's mint Super Program, and I still own all those film cameras. All are fully operational and in excellent or better condition.

As my dad got older he had purchased a K100d, but rarely used it, preferring a simple Minolta digital he also had. I had resisted digital for a long time, but finally picked up a cheap digital camera just to simplify posting online. Dad offered me his K100d, and when I found out it was backward compatible with the dozen or so lenses I already owned, I took it.

Photography, but it has always been part of me. Today I am still shooting with the K100d, and I don't feel shortchanged. (I also use a Canon G9 for family snapshots and some still life stuff. Nice for a non-SLR, and it has a viewfinder.) I'm keeping the film cameras, though I am not motivated to fool with film. I'm not really an equipment geek, though I certainly understand the mindset. I've never been one to buy lenses like new toys all the time, though I did just buy a Tamron AF 70-300mm f/4.0-5.6 Di LD Macro Zoom Lens. To me, this is just a focal length I wanted and could afford.

I may add a second body sometime, just because I've always liked carrying two bodies, each with a different, purpose-driven lens attached for a quick grab. It will be a Pentax digital SLR, but probably used, not new, as there have been several excellent cameras in the ten years since my K100d came out. In casual research the K10d looked like it might be a nice second (or primary body) for my modest needs/desires. I'll stick to APS-C as I don't want to essentially obsolete my lenses.

I will be reading more on this forum and perhaps asking questions as well. --Mark
Welcome Mark, the people here are great, friendly and a vast wealth of knowledge and suggestions. I myself don't have a fancy whiz-bang new camera, though it's in the worls as my K200D has decided it wants to retire soon so no choice, but I've loved it and will hate to replace it. Like you I'm not an equipment geek either, though that's due to money heh, My beloved 16-45 is still great but has since been discontinued but I refuse to part with it... Have a great time here, ppl don't bite, very hard
06-23-2016, 10:11 PM   #3
pjv
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I will be reading more on this forum and perhaps asking questions as well

Hi Mark. Welcome to the Pentax forums. Once you start joining in, you won't be able to stop !!! Enjoy all that the forums have to offer.
06-24-2016, 06:53 AM   #4
Site Supporter

You don't say, Mark, what area of the great Midwest you rattle around in? Greetings from the Prairie State! I like your tales of hand-me-down equipment from your Dad. My first slr, a Ricoh TLS Singlex, came from my dad; some co-worker had given it to him.

I don't suppose you know any Vivitar Series 1 24-70mm repair secrets, do you? [ In case anyone wonders, I have already asked about this in the Series 1 and Vivitar lens club threads, i but that didn't lead to the sort of specifics this novice lens repairer would need.] I have one that only zooms out to about 45mm, before the zoom mechanism jams. Not such a big problem, since I really got it for the 24mm angle of view. However, if I could at times zoom it out to 70, I could try out its "macro" (really about 1:5 repro ratio close-focusing) mode.

My only dslr is a K110D, very similar to your K100D though slightly less capable in a couple of respects. What's not to like about those cameras, unless one can't stand the cropped sensor or only having 6mp. Neither issue bugs me. I love shooting it with film-era lenses.

06-24-2016, 07:35 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome from the Chicago area. I'm busy taking pictures of insects, slowly driving myself insane as I discover tiny wasps everywhere.

I tried two cameras with two slings one day at Fermilab. It was nice carrying a longer lens to get bird pictures but I need a dedicated two-camera system not two slings. That was not comfortable.
06-24-2016, 08:04 AM   #6
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, good to hear your enjoying your photography the Pentax way.
06-25-2016, 12:17 PM   #7

Original Poster
Thank-you everyone for the welcome! With all the "hello I'm new messages" it is so nice that you take the time to say hello.

goatsNdonkey, I grew up in the Prairie State--Rockford, Springfield, Champaign then Springfield again. The last was where I spent most of my early life until the Air Force. The last couple decades I've spent in the Buckeye State, which is like Illinois except our state government isn't broke. (My mom still lives in IL so she keeps me posted on the funny doings there.) TER-OR, I have lots of family in Chicago, both in the city and out in the suburbs. Lifetime Cubs fan, too.

P.S. Sorry, no lens repair tips--that is way above my pay grade!
06-25-2016, 08:18 PM   #8
Site Supporter

My parents lived most of their later years in Ohio, so I've traveled there several times. I have lived near Rockford and Chi-town areas, too, but originally hale form (and have lived the last few decades in) West-central Illinois. It's not that Illinois is really broke, it just that we have an incompetent billionaire governor who for two years now won't compromise on anything that would make having a state budget possible. The last governor we had of his same party has been calling on him for months to place the welfare of the state over his own narrow agenda. Even an organization run by the current governor's wife has sued him for the money the state owes it! Around the winter holidays reporters wondered what happened to him, because he disappeared from the state without any public announcement about where he was going. I suspect that he went to the Cayman Islands to visit his money. On the other hand he might have been hiding out in any one of the nine luxury homes he owns.... I live in the part of Illinois where about half of the people are Cubs fans and half are St. Louis Cardinals fans. It's a loyalty that sometimes divides families -- ha, ha, ha!

06-26-2016, 01:00 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by goatsNdonkey Quote
My parents lived most of their later years in Ohio, so I've traveled there several times. I have lived near Rockford and Chi-town areas, too, but originally hale form (and have lived the last few decades in) West-central Illinois. It's not that Illinois is really broke, it just that we have an incompetent billionaire governor who for two years now won't compromise on anything that would make having a state budget possible. The last governor we had of his same party has been calling on him for months to place the welfare of the state over his own narrow agenda. Even an organization run by the current governor's wife has sued him for the money the state owes it! Around the winter holidays reporters wondered what happened to him, because he disappeared from the state without any public announcement about where he was going. I suspect that he went to the Cayman Islands to visit his money. On the other hand he might have been hiding out in any one of the nine luxury homes he owns.... I live in the part of Illinois where about half of the people are Cubs fans and half are St. Louis Cardinals fans. It's a loyalty that sometimes divides families -- ha, ha, ha!

When my brother goes to a Cardinals game with his in-laws from Springfield, half the family wears red caps, half blue caps. Pretty funny. Probably more of downstate would be Cardinals fans if it weren't for WGN Superstation broadcasting the Cubs everywhere all those years--before MLB broke up the superstation monopoly on games.

Macomb? Quincy? Trying to remember who we used to play in basketball in high school.... I live near Dayton, Ohio these days....
06-26-2016, 08:49 PM   #10
Site Supporter

Dayton? My parents lived in the Englewood-Union area not far from there.

My mom grew up on a farm 20 miles east of Quincy. I live about a 45 minute drive east of Macomb.
06-27-2016, 05:08 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm from Cincy, but have been here in Dundee since '95. Hard to believe.
Recently I've become involved in some conservation efforts. I'd like to do more, but there's only so much time in a week.
06-27-2016, 07:45 AM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by goatsNdonkey Quote
Dayton? My parents lived in the Englewood-Union area not far from there.

My mom grew up on a farm 20 miles east of Quincy. I live about a 45 minute drive east of Macomb.

Small world--I know that area pretty well.

---------- Post added 06-27-16 at 07:47 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
I'm from Cincy, but have been here in Dundee since '95. Hard to believe.
Recently I've become involved in some conservation efforts. I'd like to do more, but there's only so much time in a week.

My sister has worked in Dundee for quite some time. I'm headed to Cincy for a ball game on Wed. Again, small world!

06-27-2016, 08:59 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter

My sister has worked in Dundee for quite some time. I'm headed to Cincy for a ball game on Wed. Again, small world!

Small world indeed. Your sister has probably seen us around, we have 3 huskies. OK, two huskies and a Malamute. Hard to miss.
06-30-2016, 09:04 AM   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
Small world indeed. Your sister has probably seen us around, we have 3 huskies. OK, two huskies and a Malamute. Hard to miss.

Who carries the cameras?

My sister also graduated from Northern Illinois, home of the Huskies. Now this is just gettin' weird....
06-30-2016, 10:13 AM   #15
Site Supporter

NIU is in Dekalb, which I always think of as the home of the winged ear of corn logo for Dekalb hybrid corn seed.