Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-23-2016, 11:42 AM   #1

An inherited Pentax K10D

Hi

This camera was purchased new by my brother who sadly past away a couple of years ago. He was a Pentax fan, previously owning film cameras. My sister-in-law gave the camera to me last week. It is in excellent condition (mint), with a couple of lenses, and the original accessories. After charging the battery, the cameras powered up. I then took a few shots around the garden, and played with the controls. The results are pleasing.

Last evening, I updated the firmware from version 1.0 to 1.31, which has added a few additional functions. I am now ready to take the camera on a trip and take some shots. OK, it doesn't have the speed and megapixel count of the latest cameras, nor the advanced features offered on Canon and Nikon SLRs, but it is compact, weather resistant, and still capable of good images. It will be fun to use.

Joining the Forum will be a good source of reference for any problems I experience. After all the camera was introduced in 2006, purchased in 2007, and now "discontinued". My camera collection includes many brands such as, Canon, Nikon, Olympus, Leica, Werra, Mamiya, Petri, and now Pentax.

06-23-2016, 11:52 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome! The K10D was, and still is a great camera capable of wonderful images. The older CCD sensor renders colors in a distinctly different way compared to more modern offerings. Be sure to join us over here sometime: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/6-pentax-dslr-discussion/242738-k10d-club.html

The forums are an invaluable resource for information, sharing of photos and fun Good to have you here!

Last edited by paulh; 06-23-2016 at 12:01 PM.
06-23-2016, 11:59 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to Pentax.

RIP your brother. I'm sure that being a camera buff already, you will do his K10D justice. "Compact, weather resistant and capable of good images" is quite a holiday package, regardless of its other qualities. Just make sure the lenses share those weather-resistant qualities or it will all be for naught!!
06-23-2016, 12:50 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Welcome to our community!

Thanks for your introduction. As others have mentioned, the K10D is still a well-regarded camera, and can produce excellent images. Have fun with it.

You have quite a lot of experience with various brands; the Pentax should complement your gear nicely.

Hope to see some of your travel pictures.

Regards,

- Craig

06-23-2016, 02:55 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I still own the K10D, though it is a modified one, with IR filter removed. I had so much fun with it!
06-23-2016, 02:59 PM   #6

The K10 is a capable camera, I use mine still most times I go out along side my K50. The colours from the thing are awesome. It feels good in the hands and performs quite well as long as you don't bump up the iso. Long exposures give great results as long as noise reduction is left on.
06-23-2016, 03:39 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Welcome to the forum! Looking forward to seeing some of your images posted here.

The K10D is still a very capable camera. Megapickles aren't everything and I've had some 20 x 30 inch prints made that you can pixel peep without a worry.
06-23-2016, 03:48 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
The older CCD sensor renders colors in a distinctly different way compared to more modern offerings.

This! Don't be too quick to discard that K10D. It's more than capable of making images suitable for most consumer needs.

06-23-2016, 06:39 PM   #9
Pentaxian

As well as professional needs. The K10D is unbeatable to this day at ISO 100. The sensor in it is quite unique.

Great to have you here. Share some photos when you can.
06-23-2016, 10:03 PM   #10
pjv
Eager To Learn

QuoteOriginally posted by Quorum Quote
This camera was purchased new by my brother who sadly past away a couple of years ago.

Hi Quorum. Welcome to the Pentax forums. Sorry that you acquired your camera that way. Any help you may need is only a question away.
06-24-2016, 01:34 AM   #11

Original Poster
Encouraging feedback

Thanks everyone for your positive feedback about the camera. My first impressions of the camera are good. I will spend time getting to know how to get the best from it.
06-24-2016, 07:57 AM   #12
Moderator PEG Judges

Welcome, the K10D is a much loved camera by many here, myself included.