Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
06-25-2016, 05:50 AM - 1 Like   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A number of issues of a new member asking for response

Hallo,

I am a new member and owner of a Pentax 645z and a 35mm lens.

I am very impressed by the performance of this package.

The photos seem to be clearer and more detailed than those my my Nikon D810. They look very good.

But I do not think that the Pentax is a full replacement of my D810 for the time being. The number of modern lenses of the Pentax system obviously is limited, which I regret. I do hope Ricoh will offer modern products in the focal range between 100 mm and 200 mm. Why is there no 25 mm lens available any more? If I am correct I would have to search for a second hand product in that focal range. The new 90 mm Macro looks quite promising.

Therefore I am interested in any information on new products by Ricoh. Perhaps other landscape photographers share my views on the demand for new lenses. May be Ricoh listens.

This week`s presentation of Hasselblad new xd1 called for attention. The shutter speed up to 30 minutes and the portability of the camera are very attractive features in my view. But it is not clear to me if the camera has been designed for professionals or amateurs. Hasselblad may have had in mind the owner of a classic Hasselblad who suddenly discovers that his camera is a too heavy burden for a long hike. That sounds reasonable to me. Ricoh may follow the innovative step Hasselblad has taken and develop a mirrorless camera with the same sensor, half the prize of the 645z and interoperable with all 645z lenses. Why not? And more modern lenses as I already said. Many Hasselblad owner would start to entertain some doubt as to there decision. Of course if money is not relevant or the camera is a matter of prestige I can fully accept that. The point of matter for me is how does Ricoh react to Hasselblad`s obviously successful efforts to extend its system?

Colleagues may have a look at: cl57photography.com Comments are most welcome

My main field of interest is landscape followed by bw architecture. I am an amateur photographer who likes hiking. I live in Berlin. Married.

Kind regards

Ohrensessel

06-25-2016, 06:47 AM   #2
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

welcome and we hope to see shots from your Z!
06-25-2016, 07:33 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ohrensessel Quote
The point of matter for me is how does Ricoh react to Hasselblad`s obviously successful efforts to extend its system?
They stopped reading the newspaper on the toilet, and went back to their office and scratched their head for 20 minutes .......................just kidding !

No, Ricoh has a "situation room" for such emergencies when a competitor releases a competitive model. The board members meet there, its a room with lava lamps, a disco ball twenty bean bags an a giant bong in the middle of the room and Indian Sitar (guitar) music playing .....just kidding !

Well you do pose an interesting question but I guess that Ricoh is doing its thing, investigating the market and then making commercial decisions based on its own analysis. This MF HB looks like a very compelling device, and surely Pentax will recognize it as a significant threat. But I doubt that ricoh will make the investment in scrapping the 645Z line and creating a new line of mirrorless cameras ........ it really should. This should all ready be underway because the technology is already there for mirrorless.

Sony is transitioning to mirrorless, there's a couple of SLT's left and eventually that'll be scrapped. Pentax should be in mirrorless in a significant way but its not. Canikon is firmly in DSLR and most pros support this, only because Sony FF might not tick all the boxes for pro's. Sony's got OIS that works with IBIS and they're really developing the groundwork for a mirrorless system that will probably take over DSLR's. But pro's are like gun-nuts - "I'll give up my DSLR when you pry it from my cold dead hands ".
06-25-2016, 10:10 AM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

If history repeats itself, which it most likely will in the case of the digital Pentax 645 business model, the camera to succeed the 645Z will incorporate the suite of technologies and upgraded hardware components that have been developed since its launch, including pixel shift resolution, a new interface, faster processing, etc. I'm sure we'll see more of it in whatever replaces the K-3 II, and that will ultimately make its way into a 645Z successor in say 2018. A new sensor is most likely a given, though I'm not sure it will be 100Mp (that wasn't a particularly credible rumor).

The success and low price of the 645D/645Z hinges on the fact that both cameras re-use technology from the Pentax K-mount line. If the system can remain profitable at a lower price, I'm sure Ricoh will keep the price very competitive.

Since Pentax now has a SR mechanism for full frame, one might speculate that it's only a matter of time before they give medium format cameras a stabilized sensor, which could potentially be groundbreaking. Much more groundbreaking than removing the mirror, if you ask me. I think Pentax will be late to the pro mirrorless party since that's an area in which other brands (namely Sony, but now also Hasselblad) have already established themselves.

I also don't think that the 645Z is intended to be a replacement for smaller format cameras. Perhaps such an addition to the medium format line will be made later on.

QuoteOriginally posted by Ohrensessel Quote
But I do not think that the Pentax is a full replacement of my D810 for the time being. The number of modern lenses of the Pentax system obviously is limited, which I regret. I do hope Ricoh will offer modern products in the focal range between 100 mm and 200 mm. Why is there no 25 mm lens available any more? If I am correct I would have to search for a second hand product in that focal range. The new 90 mm Macro looks quite promising.
The 25mm turned out not to be sustainable due to a high defect rate. Apparently the glass in it was really expensive and a high percentage of lenses came back from customers, so ultimately the offering was discontinued. The reps I spoke with said that the current lens design could only be profitable if it were sold at a 40% premium over the $5000 price tag.

There are currently three lenses between 100mm and 200mm. These are in production but stem from the film era:

Pentax 645 Lenses between 100mm and 205mm | PentaxForums.com

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-29-2016, 12:13 AM   #5
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, looking forward to seeing your images once you get your lens choices in place.
09-29-2016, 12:47 AM   #6

Original Poster
Lofoten photos und Fuji medium format mirroless

1. You will find new Lofoten Photos on my Website.
2. I fully agree that Pentax has to wake up as to new lenses. If not many people will buy the smaller Fuji next year.

Ohrensessel

Last edited by photolady95; 09-29-2016 at 02:38 AM. Reason: Website link in body of post.