Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-02-2016, 10:28 AM   #1

New Mexico Photographer

Hello Pentaxians I joined awhile ago but only now greet you. It all started when my wife's Nikon1 died. I did research and was persuaded by this forum to buy Pentax. I got her a K50 with a 18-270, she loved it and carries it everywhere. Then I noticed that the forum posted a sale for the K50 with 18-55 for $250. Thus I became a Pentaxian. My professional photographic life entailed mostly Nikons in the film era though I rented many other cameras depending upon the job. I moved to a technology career before the digital photographic era started.

I've been using a Canon full frame and an Olympus m43 before becoming a Pentax shooter. What I have noticed, that I don't like, with the Pentax DA 70mm and the 21mm lenses is that they are noisy, don't focus as surely as my Olympus and Canon lenses. Also my Olympus and Canon lenses are quiet. But I like the sizes of the Pentax lenses, they are almost the same size as my Olympus lenses. I have a few other quibbles about Pentax annoyances but still I can't complain about the price and also through this forum I got both DA 21 and DA 70 for great prices. So Pentax Forum - thanks.

Truthfully I've enjoyed photography more as an amateur photographer than a so-called professional, money can sometimes warp your photographic creativity. And I realized I really loved photography and I was making money but steadily hating my photography. The jobs that made the least amount of money were the most enjoyable. Off I went into technology. I'm thinking seriously of resuming shooting film, I still have plenty left. At one time in the film era I almost bought a Pentax. Now I wished I had since I got the K-50.

07-02-2016, 11:03 AM   #2
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Homer Eames Quote
money can sometimes warp your photographic creativity
Welcome aboard, absolutely... because your working to someone else's brief.
07-02-2016, 11:16 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome, Homer - good to have you with us

Re focusing with the DA21 and DA70, have you confirmed the focus accuracy and carried out AF fine adjustment if necessary? I use both lenses on my K-5 and K-3, and find they focus reliably. On my K-5, however, they both needed some AF fine adjustment to give consistent results at wide apertures and close range (on my K-3 they required no adjustment). I do agree that they're noisy compared to DC or sonic motor lenses, but for my purposes this isn't an issue.
07-02-2016, 05:10 PM   #4
pjv
Loyal Site Supporter

And I realized I really loved photography

Hi Homer. Welcome to the Pentax forums. Amateur or professional, the love of photography is all that counts here. Glad you joined up.

07-02-2016, 11:20 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Welcome aboard, absolutely... because your working to someone else's brief.
Actually Kerrowdown - I assume by your comment that a client might want too much control of my work. That really wasn't it --- actually it was the problem of the sheer boredom of mechanical repetition. For example you're doing the photography for a corporation, their annual report --- from corporation to corporation --- they want the same. Lighting problems might be a challenge but you're expressing the same old corporation. Even when they were supposedly doing innovative stuff --- they wanted the same type of images. Rigid. Yes well paying jobs but unfortunately I started photography for other reasons. Remember this is before Apple - Microsoft etc. in that era you could tell a IBM employee at a goodly distance, yep identical suits, think Men In Black without humor.

---------- Post added 07-03-16 at 12:39 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Welcome, Homer - good to have you with us

Re focusing with the DA21 and DA70, have you confirmed the focus accuracy and carried out AF fine adjustment if necessary? I use both lenses on my K-5 and K-3, and find they focus reliably. On my K-5, however, they both needed some AF fine adjustment to give consistent results at wide apertures and close range (on my K-3 they required no adjustment). I do agree that they're noisy compared to DC or sonic motor lenses, but for my purposes this isn't an issue.
Thanks BigMackCam - I'll try your advice; maybe I'm spoiled by my Full Frame Canon and lenses. Might be an unfair comparison with the K50. Although the DA 70 mounted on the K50 is amazingly compact when compared to the Canon camera and lenses. In bright light conditions the K50 works adequately but when light is challenging then it has problems. I know I'll have to do some digging into the causes of the problems.
07-03-2016, 12:41 AM   #6
Moderator PEG Judges

I assume by your comment that a client might want too much control of my work.
Exactly... I've been given a storyboard before now of what's required.

think Men In Black without humour
Aye there was a great line from one of the movies... "We at the FBI do not have a sense of humour we're aware of."