Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-03-2016, 04:01 AM   #1

Strange K-1 problem

I recently bought the K-1 and it has proved an excellent camera. However, yesterday it behaved rather strangely and I am wondering if it was due to a camera error or to an inadvertent action on my part.

The camera had the 31mm Limited lens fitted. After a series of good photos in RAW, I had a series of images where two successive photos were superimposed on each other. This showed up as ghost images on the rear screen which, after downloading in Lightroom confirmed that two separate images had been recorded on the same space on the card (making to multiple exposure on a film). I switched on/off, removed the card and then the battery, to no effect. Only when I reset all settings did the problem disappear and things return to normal, implying that I must accidentally have activated some feature of the camera.

Is this a problem with the camera or my ignorance of its functioning? I have not been able to find an explanation in the Manual.

07-03-2016, 04:13 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi and welcome to the forums Could it be that, somehow, you had multi-exposure drive mode enabled?
07-03-2016, 04:18 AM - 2 Likes   #3
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by hutchst Quote
I had a series of images where two successive photos were superimposed on each other
Welcome, you just need to remember to wind the film on between exposures...

07-03-2016, 04:24 AM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sounds like the multi exposure drive mode all right. It's pretty easy to enter on accident by pressing the up button.

If you often use the 4-way controller for AF point selection, I'd recommend setting C20 to 2:

Pentax K-1 Review - Recommended Settings | PentaxForums.com Reviews

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

07-03-2016, 04:30 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by hutchst Quote
Only when I reset all settings did the problem disappear and things return to normal, implying that I must accidentally have activated some feature of the camera.
Hey, welcome!
There are a couple features that blend multiple exposures. They bled them in different ways, but you should check all of them just to be sure
- HDR
- Multi-exposure
- Pixel Shift
- Bracketing (there are numerous types of bracketing, and they generally make separate files, but make sure it is disabled in regular use)
These functions do different things and have different purposes, but they have in common that they take multiple exposures and save them in the same "frame". They should be disabled, unless you want to use one on purpose.

Hope this helps. Another thing I have found is that most digital cameras have a couple odd hiccups in the first weeks of use, which then go away on their own. I have not observed this with the K-1, but with some previous cameras and stories from other users.
Also, you did right by taking out the battery and trying things. Sometimes removing SD card, charging battery and leaving it outside of camera for some hours, cleaning lens and camera mounts, resetting options and updating the firmware will fix small problems. These things I mentioned are not official repairs, but they seem to work, and they are worth a try before doing more drastic things.
07-03-2016, 04:49 AM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks to all who have replied. It was indeed the multi-exposure issue. I must have moved the controller whilst walking. Much appreciate the quick responses.
07-03-2016, 10:04 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

I find the drive mode on the 4 way controller far too easy to change. Every now and then I find my self in multi high, and tends to be a waste of my post processing time when I am shooting static subjects.