Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
07-03-2016, 11:51 AM   #1

It's starting to make sense.

Hi from Texas.
My name is Jeremy. I have enjoyed struggling with photography since I picked up a used k1000 with a Sears branded 50mm lens about 18 years ago. I say struggling because maybe one out of 24 shots on a roll was even worth showing and since I was in school I didn't have the budget for a lot of film so I did not improve much. A few years later I got a zx-10 and an "AF" kit lens and saw improvement except when trying all manual. I realized I was missing something. Soon after that I went point and shoot digital but did not find it as rewarding.

My brother(k-7 user) gave me a hand me down 100d super a few years ago and some "A" lenses, which sat in the closet mostly due to time limits, and fear, but has recently made it out of the bag and all of a sudden I love the struggle again.

It seems having the SLR functions with instant feedback of digital has really helped me see what I was doing wrong. I am now seeing good pictures.even with my old Sears lens. I am also also thinking of upgrading to the k-s2 or k-70.

My brother encouraged me to join the forum and find answers to my questions here. So i'd quit bugging him I'm sure. Be warned lol

Thanks

07-03-2016, 11:57 AM   #2
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
I'm sort of new here myself, but it seems like a great group of folks here. Glad you took the plunge!
07-03-2016, 12:07 PM   #3

Original Poster
I agree with you. Everyone seems very helpful and respectful.
07-03-2016, 12:10 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome from a fellow Dallasite! The K100D was my first digital SLR (many moons ago). I had it converted to an infrared camera and still shoot with it occasionally. It's a great camera!

07-03-2016, 12:35 PM   #5
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by Jeremydmartin Quote
It's starting to make sense
Welcome to the forum, that's what I said many years ago... I'm not going to tell you if it got any clearer since then.
07-03-2016, 12:52 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Welcome to the forum, that's what I said many years ago... I'm not going to tell you if it got any clearer since then.
Kerrowdown lives in a perpetual fog of his own making
07-03-2016, 12:59 PM   #7
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by Erikka Quote
perpetual fog
I prefer to call it the "mists of time", sounds a tad more exotic than just fog.

07-03-2016, 01:03 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
I prefer to call it the "mists of time", sounds a tad more exotic than just fog.
A little fog is never mist.
07-03-2016, 01:06 PM   #9
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
A little fog is never mist.
You've not come across real Scotch mist then?
07-03-2016, 01:27 PM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

That's the aim. If you want to get better at photography hang around a bit and people in the specific form of photography you are into could offer you some valuable tips. Be ready though to go ahead and start buying (the right) books and watching B&H youtube videos....

Also do your best with an image and post it up in the critiques forum and take advantage of that. Don't be put off if people say 'your image sucks'...it's nothing personal but getting honest constructive feedback is the only way to learn. Keep in mind we are a community of people of all different levels so just try to absorb what you can.

Getting better is a long term process not an event.
07-03-2016, 01:49 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It seems having the SLR functions with instant feedback of digital has really helped me see what I was doing wrong.
I agree, it seems that learning the ropes goes a lot faster now than it did in the film days.

I still have my K100D, and it still takes some very good looking photos within its limitations. (Some say the old CCD sensor renders colors better than CMOS.) I got a K-S2 not long ago, though, and it's quite a step up: better viewfinder, live view on the swivel screen, more megapixels, more low-light performance, better autofocus, faster saving, and the list goes on. . .
07-03-2016, 01:50 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Adorama's vids are also pretty good; I tend to gravitate to those by Mark Wallace and Gavin Hoey. Their equipment is more sophisticated, involved and expensive than can be justified for the average enthusiast, but the principles they illustrate can be very useful.

We are generally very good at telling people WHY their pictures suck, as opposed to just saying that they do.
07-03-2016, 01:52 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tony Belding Quote
I agree, it seems that learning the ropes goes a lot faster now than it did in the film days.

I still have my K100D, and it still takes some very good looking photos within its limitations. (Some say the old CCD sensor renders colors better than CMOS.) I got a K-S2 not long ago, though, and it's quite a step up: better viewfinder, live view on the swivel screen, more megapixels, more low-light performance, better autofocus, faster saving, and the list goes on. . .
yeah I had a thread on the whole CCD thing, and am also considering a K-S2 so I can retire my K200D
07-03-2016, 01:56 PM - 1 Like   #14
Veteran Member

Oi! Who on here is being helpful!? That's not how we work!

Welcome to the forum chaps. If no one else is unhelpful, I'll try to fill that gap.

Cheers,

Ron
07-03-2016, 02:07 PM - 2 Likes   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by p38arover Quote
Oi! Who on here is being helpful!? That's not how we work!

Welcome to the forum chaps. If no one else is unhelpful, I'll try to fill that gap.

Cheers,

Ron
helpful ?? that's a blatant internet rumour hahaha
« New Member | Hi!! »