Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-11-2016, 01:09 PM   #1
Forum Member

K1 raw file size question

As the K1 and Nikon D810 are using basically the same sensor, @36MP, I was a bit surprised to see the size of non Pixel shift raw from the K1 weighing in at around 45MB and the non compressed raw from the D810 or other Nikon in the D800 family coming in at 75 or MB.

This implies that Pentax might be using a compression on their files, which I prefer not to use, but in the camera menu I can't find any options for raw size, or non compressed.

Just curious if there is a setting I have might have missed.

Thanks
Paul Caldwell
LIttle Rock AR

Last edited by photolady95; 07-11-2016 at 02:58 PM.
07-11-2016, 01:18 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax uses lossless compression, which doesn't affect the image quality but does force the camera to do some extra internal processing at the time it writes the file. It'd say it's worth the 30Mb of space you save

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

07-11-2016, 01:23 PM   #3
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, hope Adams reply has put your mind at rest about the K1.
07-11-2016, 02:30 PM   #4
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul2660 Quote
As the K1 and Nikon D810 are using basically the same sensor, @36MP, I was a bit surprised to see the size of non Pixel shift raw from the K1 weighing in at around 45MB and the non compressed raw from the D810 or other Nikon in the D800 family coming in at 75 or MB.

This implies that Pentax might be using a compression on their files, which I prefer not to use, but in the camera menu I can't find any options for raw size, or non compressed.

Just curious if there is a setting I have might have missed.

Thanks
Paul Caldwell
LIttle Rock AR
I agree with Adam on this one. I bought a K-1 and wandered off to Alaska and took 500 raw images. I'm now choking on pixels.
TB harddrives fill up etc..... I like the raw but hard drive capacity hasn't kept up with the pixel growing. a TB hard drive seemed like
a lot until i wasn't.

I'm trying to understand what a photo archive of the 21st century looks like. Grandma had a photo album. I've got a couple boxes
of 35mm negatives from the film days of photograpy and 10 reels of slides, and now even though I was a bit of a late adopter
of digital (my first digital was a K10....) I've got a couple terrabytes of images. what should I do?

Last edited by photolady95; 07-11-2016 at 02:59 PM.
07-11-2016, 02:36 PM   #5
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rvannatta Quote
I agree with Adam on this one. I bought a K-1 and wandered off to Alaska and took 500 raw images. I'm now choking on pixels.
TB harddrives fill up etc..... I like the raw but hard drive capacity hasn't kept up with the pixel growing. a TB hard drive seemed like
a lot until i wasn't.

I'm trying to understand what a photo archive of the 21st century looks like. Grandma had a photo album. I've got a couple boxes
of 35mm negatives from the film days of photograpy and 10 reels of slides, and now even though I was a bit of a late adopter
of digital (my first digital was a K10....) I've got a couple terrabytes of images. what should I do?
500 DNG files is only like 22 Gb. Thats only around .008 of a 3TB hard drive (that you can get for $60).
07-11-2016, 03:22 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Pentax uses lossless compression, which doesn't affect the image quality but does force the camera to do some extra internal processing at the time it writes the file. It'd say it's worth the 30Mb of space you save
The time to do the compression is balanced handily against the time to write almost twice as much data to the SD card. On the D800/D810 this can be offset by storing to a fast CF card, but not so on the K-1.

Steve
07-11-2016, 04:08 PM   #7
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by enoeske Quote
500 DNG files is only like 22 Gb. Thats only around .008 of a 3TB hard drive (that you can get for $60).
Fortunately or unfortunately, depending on how you look at it, I was only in Alaska for 4 days.