Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
07-14-2016, 09:17 AM   #1

New to Pentax and the forum with a question about iPads

Quite a large forum group with a broad base of knowledge which is very nice. I purchased the K50 with both kit lenses and have added the 50 mm f/1.8 prime and the 100 mm macro. Weather sealing was very important to me and the value of the K50 was outstanding. I had made the change from a Canon DSLR.

Doing some travel photography and wanted to know if anyone has had any success downloading images from and iPad to an external hard drive? If you have can you please walk me through the gear and set-up. Thanks in advance.

07-14-2016, 10:03 AM   #2
farmerDavid

Hi and welcome!
I don't own Apple stuff but I helped my sister with a similar setup. We used a Passport Wireless WD drive with the MyCloud app.
It was painful and not easy, but I was (and still am) unfamiliar with iOS.
It did work.
David
07-14-2016, 10:03 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Joe M Quote
Doing some travel photography and wanted to know if anyone has had any success downloading images from and iPad to an external hard drive? If you have can you please walk me through the gear and set-up. Thanks in advance.
Without a computer in-between, the short answer is no.

While it is easy to transfer photos from a camera to an iPad, it is not easy to transfer photos from an iPad to a hard drive...

Your best bet for backup while traveling is something like a Hyperdrive.

https://www.amazon.com/HyperDrive-Colorspace-Portable-Storage-Backup/dp/B017...rds=hyperdrive

or a iUSBport HD...

https://www.hypershop.com/products/iusbport-hd

How to back up and store photos when traveling - CNET

Otherwise, invest in a data plan and use the cloud...
07-14-2016, 01:27 PM   #4
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Welcome to the forum, good advice given already, hope it all helps.

07-14-2016, 04:54 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Without a computer in-between, the short answer is no.

While it is easy to transfer photos from a camera to an iPad, it is not easy to transfer photos from an iPad to a hard drive...

Your best bet for backup while traveling is something like a Hyperdrive.

https://www.amazon.com/HyperDrive-Colorspace-Portable-Storage-Backup/dp/B017...rds=hyperdrive

or a iUSBport HD...

https://www.hypershop.com/products/iusbport-hd

How to back up and store photos when traveling - CNET

Otherwise, invest in a data plan and use the cloud...
Thanks for your input!
07-14-2016, 10:04 PM   #6
Closed Account

Hi Joe. Welcome to the Pentax forums. Good to have you on board.
07-15-2016, 03:51 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I use "Photosync" app for jpegs.... mostly to flickr for me

07-15-2016, 05:21 AM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have an iPad but never transfer images from my Pentax to the iPad. I would assume the size and amount of the raw files from the K3 would be very large to store on my limited iPad. The only photos I transfer from the iPad to the PC are one that I took with the iPhone or iPad. I use the usb cord from the iPad and directly transfer the photos to the PC. When I want to transfer photos from my camera I always take a laptop PC and download with the SD card but I don't use my iPad with only 6.4 gb of available space left for giant photo files. My grandson laughs at it.... Lol, I tell him he didn't have to pay for it.
07-15-2016, 12:13 PM   #9
Pentaxian

The drive whose shortcut is listed below "WD 2TB My Passport Wireless Portable External Hard Drive" says that it will back up files straight from the SD card. It also has wireless capability. Supposedly it has built in wi-fi.

- One wireless storage solution to connect with multiple devices
- Wirelessly connect with up to 8 devices at a time
- Back up or transfer photos and videos from your SD card
- Stay mobile longer with up to 6 hours of video streaming and 20 hours of standby
- No Internet connection needed to enjoy your photos, videos and music

https://www.amazon.com/Passport-Wireless-Portable-External-Drive/dp/B00M9B44...sport+wireless

Last edited by C_Jones; 07-15-2016 at 12:28 PM.
07-15-2016, 03:53 PM   #10
farmerDavid

QuoteOriginally posted by C_Jones Quote
The drive whose shortcut is listed below "WD 2TB My Passport Wireless Portable External Hard Drive" says that it will back up files straight from the SD card. It also has wireless capability. Supposedly it has built in wi-fi.

- Stay mobile longer with up to 6 hours of video streaming and 20 hours of standby

https://www.amazon.com/Passport-Wireless-Portable-External-Drive/dp/B00M9B44...sport+wireless
Exaclty the one I set my sister up with. Download the MyCloud app on the Ipad and have fun.
David
07-16-2016, 06:55 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by farmerDavid Quote
Exaclty the one I set my sister up with. Download the MyCloud app on the Ipad and have fun.
David
Nice of you to point that out.
07-16-2016, 09:51 AM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by C_Jones Quote

Thanks for your response and input. This looks like a great solution for my needs. Just download direct from the sd card and plug it back in to my desktop when I get home.

Best regards
07-16-2016, 07:15 PM   #13
Pentaxian

You're welcome.
07-17-2016, 02:50 PM   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by farmerDavid Quote
David
Thanks for your input.

---------- Post added 07-17-16 at 03:50 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by sherrvonne Quote
I have an iPad but never transfer images from my Pentax to the iPad. I would assume the size and amount of the raw files from the K3 would be very large to store on my limited iPad. The only photos I transfer from the iPad to the PC are one that I took with the iPhone or iPad. I use the usb cord from the iPad and directly transfer the photos to the PC. When I want to transfer photos from my camera I always take a laptop PC and download with the SD card but I don't use my iPad with only 6.4 gb of available space left for giant photo files. My grandson laughs at it.... Lol, I tell him he didn't have to pay for it.
Thanks!

---------- Post added 07-17-16 at 03:51 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
I use "Photosync" app for jpegs.... mostly to flickr for me
Thanks!

---------- Post added 07-17-16 at 03:51 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by pjv Quote
Hi Joe. Welcome to the Pentax forums. Good to have you on board.
Thanks!
07-18-2016, 06:21 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I just bought a 64gb Sandisk iXpand which has a lightning connector at one end and a USB at the other. You can load JPGs onto the drive and transfer to your iDevice, which are viewable in the dedicated app.

And vice versa, of course! Welcome to the forum!