Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-16-2016, 08:16 AM   #1

Hello- New here!

Hi everyone,
My name is Amanda. I'm a hobby photographer who loves learning about all things photography! I purchased a K-50 last year and quickly got the 50mm 1.8 prime lens. Now that i have an almost one year old, I'm realizing it's time to upgrade my lens! I've been reading a lot on what most people "graduate" to and I think I'm leaning towards the 55mm 1.4 DA*. I'll be posting in the lens forum soon if I can't make a final decision!

I'm excited to learn form all the experts here!

Amanda

07-16-2016, 08:25 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
welcome to our little dysfunctional but supportive family
07-16-2016, 08:32 AM   #3
csa
Loyal Site Supporter

Amanda, Welcome to the Forum! This is a place where members are very happy to assist others with any questions you may have. How wonderful that you have a one year old; that alone will give you so many opportunities to take photos, and hopefully share some with us here!

Thanks for becoming a member here, it's appreciated!
07-16-2016, 08:37 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi Amanda - welcome to the forums, great to have you along for the ride

An alternative to your lens upgrade would be to buy an additional lens. The DA50 f/1.8 is very good optically (especially if you ensure that AF is fine tuned - important for close range shots at wide apertures), so unless you really need the 2/3rds stop extra light and/or shallower depth of field at the same field of view, you might get more from adding a second focal length to your kit - possibly a 35mm or 70mm, for instance? Just a thought...

Last edited by BigMackCam; 07-16-2016 at 08:45 AM.
07-16-2016, 09:00 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Hi Amanda - welcome to the forums, great to have you along for the ride

An alternative to your lens upgrade would be to buy an additional lens. The DA50 f/1.8 is very good optically (especially if you ensure that AF is fine tuned - important for close range shots at wide apertures), so unless you really need the 2/3rds stop extra light and/or shallower depth of field at the same field of view, you might get more from adding a second focal length to your kit - possibly a 35mm or 70mm, for instance? Just a thought...
Thanks everyone!

Mike- thats what I meant by upgrade... adding a new/better lens. I was doing a lot of research between the 55mm DA 1.4 and the 77mm "best lens" Although from reading it seems like personal preference, I think I was leaning towards the 55mm because of the amount of portraiture it will be used for. I like the Depth i get from my current lens, but just thought i can get cleaner, sharper shots with the 55mm. Any thoughts?
07-16-2016, 03:17 PM   #6
pjv
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by amandam227 Quote
I'm a hobby photographer who loves learning about all things photography!

Hi Amanda. Welcome to the Pentax forums. You have described a good number of us here with that statement !!! Good to have you here.
07-16-2016, 11:34 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by amandam227 Quote
I was doing a lot of research between the 55mm DA 1.4 and the 77mm "best lens" Although from reading it seems like personal preference, I think I was leaning towards the 55mm because of the amount of portraiture it will be used for. I like the Depth i get from my current lens, but just thought i can get cleaner, sharper shots with the 55mm. Any thoughts?
Ok... a few things to consider:

- the DA50 f/1.8 is a very sharp lens. Resolution is good from f/1.8 to f/2.4, very good from f/2.8 to f/3.5, and excellent from f/4 onwards, peaking at f/5.6 in both the centre and borders
- the DA*55's resolution is good in the centre from 1/1.4 to f/1.8 but with only fair border performance. From f/2 to f/2.4 it is very good in the centre and good at the borders, while at f/2.8 to f/3.5 it is excellent in the centre and very good at the borders. By f/4 it is excellent across the frame (and sharpest in the centre), but border performance peaks at f/5.6
- the field of view between the DA50 f/1.8 and DA*55 is very similar

If you're not currently satisfied with the sharpness of your DA50 f/1.8 shots, it could be that AF needs to be fine tuned, as the camera may be focusing the lens just in front of, or just behind, the point you're trying to focus on. It could also be that you need to increase your shutter speed to avoid blur from hand shake or subject movement. A good rule of thumb is to select a shutter speed no slower than 1 / (focal length x crop factor), so with the DA50 f/1.8 on your K-50, that would be 1 / (50 x 1.5) = 1/75 second. However, even with static portrait subjects, I'd suggest shooting a little faster than this because of potential subject movement. Maybe 1/125 second? Also remember that, for portraiture, it's best to focus on the leading eye of the subject.

The one downside with the DA50 f/1.8, in my view, is AF consistency. I do seem to get a slightly higher miss rate, especially in less than good lighting. However, it's generally accurate and no lens is 100% perfect when it comes to AF (although some get pretty close).

All things considered, it's unlikely that the DA*55 would give you appreciably sharper shots, though you might prefer the overall look of its images (the way it renders a scene). If you do decide on the DA*55, I'm sure you would love it - I hear great things.

Hope this helps

Last edited by BigMackCam; 07-16-2016 at 11:56 PM.
07-17-2016, 12:00 AM   #8
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, if you fancy giving manual focusing a try, they are many good prime legacy lenses out there, that can be bought for reasonable money.

07-17-2016, 06:29 AM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Ok... a few things to consider:

- the DA50 f/1.8 is a very sharp lens. Resolution is good from f/1.8 to f/2.4, very good from f/2.8 to f/3.5, and excellent from f/4 onwards, peaking at f/5.6 in both the centre and borders
- the DA*55's resolution is good in the centre from 1/1.4 to f/1.8 but with only fair border performance. From f/2 to f/2.4 it is very good in the centre and good at the borders, while at f/2.8 to f/3.5 it is excellent in the centre and very good at the borders. By f/4 it is excellent across the frame (and sharpest in the centre), but border performance peaks at f/5.6
- the field of view between the DA50 f/1.8 and DA*55 is very similar

If you're not currently satisfied with the sharpness of your DA50 f/1.8 shots, it could be that AF needs to be fine tuned, as the camera may be focusing the lens just in front of, or just behind, the point you're trying to focus on. It could also be that you need to increase your shutter speed to avoid blur from hand shake or subject movement. A good rule of thumb is to select a shutter speed no slower than 1 / (focal length x crop factor), so with the DA50 f/1.8 on your K-50, that would be 1 / (50 x 1.5) = 1/75 second. However, even with static portrait subjects, I'd suggest shooting a little faster than this because of potential subject movement. Maybe 1/125 second? Also remember that, for portraiture, it's best to focus on the leading eye of the subject.

The one downside with the DA50 f/1.8, in my view, is AF consistency. I do seem to get a slightly higher miss rate, especially in less than good lighting. However, it's generally accurate and no lens is 100% perfect when it comes to AF (although some get pretty close).

All things considered, it's unlikely that the DA*55 would give you appreciably sharper shots, though you might prefer the overall look of its images (the way it renders a scene). If you do decide on the DA*55, I'm sure you would love it - I hear great things.

Hope this helps
Thank you!! Going to fine tune/calibrate the AF now and hope this helps. I appreciate your insight!