Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
07-21-2016, 10:37 AM - 4 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
New K1 owner (old lurker, Pentax user, & photographer)

I'm a long time PF lurker that decided that the delivery of new K1 meant that I really should join.

I started taking photographs in high school nearly 40 years ago with an Olympus OM-1, shot a variety of cameras over the decades and switched to Pentax about 9 years ago. I picked Pentax (K10D, K5, and now the K1) over all other cameras because of the level of controls, IBIS, rugged body, and compact size. I'm not a believer in brand loyalty but would not shoot Canon, Nikon, Sony, or the others if meant I had to give up my Pentax cameras which have helped me take tens of thousands of images while surviving untold miles of hikes, rain, sleet, snow, rocks, and even ocean waves.

Although photography is my hobby, my professional background includes hardware & software engineer of electro-optical and scientific image processing systems. I've designed high-resolution large format scanners (2.3 gigapixels) so I'm very familiar with optical system design and sensor performance (which is another reason I picked Pentax).

I shoot mostly landscape, macro, architecture, abstracts, astro, and the occassional concert or sports photos for friends.

I look forward to my time on PF including Rupert's squirrels, Adam's masterful management, MikeSF's astounding images, Digitalis' technical insights, and the helpful advice, inspiring images, and "vigorous" discussion from all the Pentaxians here.

To christen the new camera and new membership, here's IMGP0001 -- a mirrored-selfie of a K1 with it's new (old) owner. It's not the most balanced composition of not the most balanced subject. (Taken w/ K1: Pentax SMC 50 mm 1:1.2 w/ split +1 diopter filter, @ 1/80, f/8, ISO100, SOOC w/ mirroring)

07-21-2016, 10:43 AM   #2
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to Pentax Forums!

Congratulations on the new K-1, it is a fantastic camera. I look forward to viewing your work.

Cheers,
Racer
07-21-2016, 10:55 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome!
My K10-K5-K3II progression is pretty similar. I like that the Pentax system is very easy to control manually.

I have recently discovered the joy of manually firing a Sunpak ring flash for macro in P mode. Wow.
07-21-2016, 10:55 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Welcome! I know we have at least one professional designer of optics around the place already; it will be excellent to have someone with a sensor-systems background to complement that. Enjoy your new camera!

07-21-2016, 01:38 PM   #5
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to the forums, and how nice it is to read such an interesting and helpful introduction Great to have you with us, and congrats on the K-1!
07-21-2016, 02:44 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for the warm welcome!

I'm looking forward to more conversations and to putting the K1 (and my old Pentax lenses) through their paces.
07-21-2016, 03:41 PM   #7
Forum Member

Welcome to PF. I am loving my K 1, hope you do as well.

07-21-2016, 10:02 PM   #8
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
I'm a long time PF lurker that decided that the delivery of new K1 meant that I really should join.

Hi photoptimist. Welcome to the Pentax forums. You have joined an ever growing group when you got your K-1. Good to have you here.
07-22-2016, 11:23 AM   #9
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Welcome to the forum, a brave man indeed... showing us what you look like from the outset.
07-23-2016, 05:45 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Welcome to the forum, a brave man indeed... showing us what you look like from the outset.
I thought I'd start by setting the photographic bar low and work up from there.

I can only hope that my lenses ("a few good men") might produce half the photographic goodness of your street walking ladies.

But I've got a long way to go!

07-24-2016, 03:32 AM - 1 Like   #11
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
my lenses ("a few good men") might produce half the photographic goodness of your street walking ladies
We had best not meet... as there could be chaos with the lenses.

Last edited by Kerrowdown; 07-24-2016 at 07:41 AM.
07-24-2016, 04:30 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
We had best not meet... as there could be chaos with the lenses.
Aperture coupling, Oh My!

(And then a clutch of DA 40s)
07-26-2016, 11:45 AM   #13
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

(And then a clutch of DA 40s)
More like a triplet of Amigos...
07-26-2016, 02:13 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Original Poster
More like a triplet of Amigos...
Can we have joint custody?
07-26-2016, 02:18 PM   #15
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Can we have joint custody?
I'll arm wrestle you for them, as they are FF compatible...

As long as they don't grow up to be the silver versions.