Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-21-2016, 06:55 PM   #1

New Pentaxian

I'm in the Kansas City area. I got my start with photography with the iconic K1000 back in high school. I've had several point and shoots up until 2010 when I got my first "real" camera. It was a Nikon D3100 and it opened my eyes to what possible with digital photos. I upgraded that camera to a D5300 last year. I didn't have access to Pentax DSLR's because there isn't any retail presence here in Kansas City. That is up until about a month ago. We have a Microcenter here and they had the K50 with the 2 lenses and flash kit on sale for $350. I thought about jumping on that after reading several reviews, but ended up not getting that. Microcenter here is in the process of remodeling, so they ran another sale this last week and I was able to get the K50 for $220 with the 18-55 kit lens. Since then, I've picked up a cheap 50F2 prime and have fallen in love with the system. I wish Pentax would market their product better, I would have gone with this system from the get go! Amazing image quality, amazing controls! From comparisons with my Nikon, the high ISO noise is much cleaner on the Pentax. I just need to get some better glass for the Pentax in the focal lengths I like to use.

My plan is to upgrade to the K3ii when I have the funds or buyer for my Nikon. One of my buddies is big into Canon and was blown away by some of the photos I sent him from the K50. Seriously, why doesn't Pentax market better? Anyhow, sorry for the long post. I hope I can learn from this community and that I am able to contribute as well.

-KC

07-21-2016, 09:51 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Welcome! Enjoy your stay.
07-21-2016, 09:57 PM   #3
pjv
Eager To Learn

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by KC_R3dn3ck Quote
New Pentaxian

Hi KC. Welcome to the Pentax forums. Hope to see some of your photographs soon. Good to have you here.
07-22-2016, 01:51 AM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to the forums and the Pentax family - great to have you with us

Wow, $220 for the K-50 and 18-55 kit lens? That's a real bargain... the K-50 is a serious camera...

QuoteOriginally posted by KC_R3dn3ck Quote
Anyhow, sorry for the long post. I hope I can learn from this community and that I am able to contribute as well.
Never apologise for lengthy posts It's so nice when newcomers take the time to introduce themselves properly.

There's definitely plenty to learn here... if and when you have questions or need advice, ask away - and anything you can contribute will always be appreciated

07-22-2016, 02:51 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Welcome to the Pentax forums.
07-22-2016, 11:37 AM   #6
Moderator PEG Judges

Welcome, remember there's plenty of good legacy glass out there... to bolster you collection.
07-22-2016, 02:52 PM - 1 Like   #7

Original Poster
Thanks for the warm welcome! Still debating on my next lens, but leaning toward either the Sigma 17-50 F2.8 or the Pentax 16-50
Here is the best shot so far. This was with the Pentax-A 50 1:2

07-23-2016, 09:46 AM   #8
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome! I'm also from KC, and there is a small but mighty group of Pentaxians from this general area.

Here's a group I set up for KC Pentaxians: Kansas City Pentaxians - PentaxForums.com

Hope to see you around!

07-27-2016, 10:28 PM   #9

Original Poster
I decided to rent the 20-40 to try it out before picking it up. Anyone have any experience with this lens? I'm wanting a good wide angle, and although I like using primes, this lens seems to have the focal length range that I use the most and the reviews on this site are pretty good. I just have to convince the wife that I "need" it, as well as the 55-300, or the 100 macro. I just wish I had researched Pentax more before getting my Nikon.
07-28-2016, 06:46 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to the clubhouse!

If you really like ultrawide lenses, there's a Sigma 8-16 in the Marketplace priced to move. It's an interesting beastie but it's not a standard wide-angle.

If you're just looking for lenses we like, I really enjoy the DA 21mm pancake. It's a pleasure to use, looks cool and has more contrast than you'd expect from a tiny lens with a close hood. These days if I'm just walking around somewhere I'm fairly likely to use this lens. Otherwise, if I need zoom capability I'll take the 18-135.

Oh, the manual lenses take great shots because we have to pay attention to the settings. At least that's my opinion. Instead of allowing the camera to decide everything we have to think about the variables ourselves and pay closer attention to the conditions and subject. That usually leads to better images.
09-08-2016, 12:02 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome!

One of the advantages of the Pentax system is the ability to use all that old glass. Until you are able to make a compelling case for the 20-40, you may consider starting with M or A primes in the range you like to shoot in. Many of these lenses are in the $50-$200 range (or less on a lucky day at the thrift store).This incremental investment approach is almost like a savings account since you can likely sell them for about the same amount you spend on them.

Then, after missing a couple cute kid (cute pets, ...) shots because you had the wrong lens mounted, you wife may say that you need the zoom lens. Or at least, you can say, "I'll sell these prime lenses and will only need $300-400 more for the lens that would have captured that cute picture you wanted."
09-25-2016, 05:18 PM - 1 Like   #12

Original Poster
I've been busy with my job, so I haven't had the time to post back here.

I ended up getting the 20-40 after renting it first and really like it. Super sharp and versatile. I've since picked up a manual 70-210 F4 and have a 100-300 zoom on order from KEH. I'm in the process of selling my Nikon D5300 and will use that money for either more glass or body upgrade to the K3ii. I'm still truly amazed at the features and options that come on Pentax's lower end DSLR's. Even though my K-50 is a little older tech compared to the D5300, I prefer the images it produces and the controls it has a standard. I also have a Nikon P7800 point and shoot that I will be upgrading to a Q series once I have some extra funds. Here are a couple pics with the 70-210 handheld.

And this was with my P7800 while at work.