Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-24-2016, 09:02 PM   #1

Found 7 Old Pentax K Mount Lenses

Hi,

I am quite uneducated regarding photography and its intricacies. After doing some research, I have decided that the K50 would suit my price range and needs. I am planning to purchase the kit that comes with the 18-55mm and the 50-200mm.

Upon digging through some of my grandfather's old camera gear, I came across 7 different manual lenses:

1.Tokina RMC MF 35-105mm F3.5-4.3
2. Miranda 24mm F2.8 MC Macro
3. SMC Pentax-F 35-80mm F4-5.6
4. SMC Pentax-F 70-210mm F4-5.6
5. SMC Pentax 35mm F3.5
6. Soligor 80-200mm F4.5 C/D Zoom+Macro
7. SMC Pentax-FA 28-80mm F3.5-4.7

Would these still be practical?
Would you recommend that I still purchase the two other kit lenses?
Should I drop the k50 entirely and buy a nicer body?

I thoroughly appreciate any and all advice.

Thanks,
Joe

07-24-2016, 09:58 PM - 1 Like   #2
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Ph0toJoe Quote
Found 7 Old Pentax K Mount Lenses

Hi Joe. Welcome to the Pentax forums. Good to have you here. The 4 Pentax lenses are definitely fine to use with any K mount Pentax body. If the others are all K mount, they will work also, but maybe with some limitations. I will give you a link to click onto which is the " lens data base " here. If you cannot find the lens you are looking for there, some member here will either have it or have used it . As far as the kit lenses go, I cannot help you to spend your money !!
Good luck.

Pentax Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
07-24-2016, 09:59 PM - 2 Likes   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Upon digging through some of my grandfather's old camera gear, I came across 7 different manual lenses:

5. SMC Pentax 35mm F3.5
The SMC Pentax-F 35-80mm F4-5.6 is an autofocus lens. See reviews at SMC Pentax-F 35-80mm F4-5.6 Reviews - F Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
Ditto for the SMC Pentax-F 70-210mm F4-5.6. See reviews at SMC Pentax-F 70-210mm F4-5.6 Reviews - F Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
Again for the SMC Pentax-FA 28-80mm F3.5-4.7 See reviews at SMC Pentax-FA 28-80mm F3.5-4.7 Reviews - FA Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

The SMC Pentax 35mm F3.5 might be this one which has good reviews, too. https://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/SMC-Pentax-K-35mm-F3.5-Lens.html

For the Tokina,see https://www.pentaxforums.com/userreviews/tokina-mf-35-105mm-f3-5-4-3-rmc.html

Miranda: https://www.pentaxforums.com/userreviews/miranda-24mm-f2-8-mc-macro.html

Lastly, the Soligor: https://www.pentaxforums.com/userreviews/miranda-24mm-f2-8-mc-macro.html

All look like good lenses to have in the bag.

Last edited by p38arover; 07-24-2016 at 10:08 PM.
07-24-2016, 10:16 PM - 1 Like   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pjv Quote
Hi Joe. Welcome to the Pentax forums. Good to have you here. The 4 Pentax lenses are definitely fine to use with any K mount Pentax body. If the others are all K mount, they will work also, but maybe with some limitations. I will give you a link to click onto which is the " lens data base " here. If you cannot find the lens you are looking for there, some member here will either have it or have used it . As far as the kit lenses go, I cannot help you to spend your money !!
Good luck.

Pentax Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
Thanks for the wonderful information pjv. I will definitely take a look at the lens data base.

07-24-2016, 10:21 PM   #5

Original Poster
Ron,
Thank you for providing the links for each lens and giving your take on each one. I mistakenly identified the 70-210mm. It's actually a SMC Pentax-A 70-210mm F4. Seems like it does the job as well.
07-24-2016, 11:43 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Joe, is the Pentax 35-70 also a Pentax-A rather than F? The A is a manual focus: SMC Pentax-A 35-70mm F3.5-4.5 Reviews - A Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
07-25-2016, 01:16 AM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

Hi,

I am quite uneducated regarding photography and its intricacies. After doing some research, I have decided that the K50 would suit my price range and needs. I am planning to purchase the kit that comes with the 18-55mm and the 50-200mm.

5. SMC Pentax 35mm F3.5

Would these still be practical?
Would you recommend that I still purchase the two other kit lenses?
Should I drop the k50 entirely and buy a nicer body?

I thoroughly appreciate any and all advice.

Thanks,
Joe
I would leave the K-50 and look for something else. That model (and the K-30 before it) have a manufacturing fault which leads the mechanical system which stops down the lens aperture to break. If you're looking for something cheap then get the newer K-S1 instead (discontinued but still available).

Of those lenses, I have used 1,4 & 5. The first is mediocre optically but well built and pleasant to use. The F 70-210 is also mediocre (but some people seem to like it), however, it could be useful as a first telephoto lens. The 35mm f/3.5 is the real star amongst those lenses - it's a bit slow and is fully manual but it's optically very good and is solid as a rock.

The F 35-80 is supposed to be superior to it's 28-80 cousin but I haven't used it.

07-25-2016, 03:14 AM - 1 Like   #8
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to the forums and congratulations on your lenses (I won't comment further on those as you've already got good info from others here ).

I have to agree with Jonathan... although the K-50 is a very good camera, there have been numerous issues with the stop down mechanism. It would be a gamble - you could have a camera that works flawlessly for years (plenty on these forums have), or you could be one of the unlucky ones where the failure occurs within a few thousand shots. A pre-owned K-5 with reasonably low shutter count might be a very cost effective alternative - the image quality is great, and it's built to take plenty of abuse (weather resistant, too). Although I've moved on to a K-3 and K-3II, I still use my old K-5 regularly - it's a super camera.

Last edited by BigMackCam; 07-25-2016 at 06:46 AM.
07-25-2016, 05:30 AM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I agree with all that Big Mack said. A used k-5 would be very economical, as well as a terrific instrument . I have a K-01, K-S2, K-5 & most recently A K-1. My k-5 is still one of my favorite pentaxes of all time. Pentax has produced many great digital cameras in recent years (k-5II, K-3, K-3II, and The K-S2). Anyone would be great to have, and ya already have some glass. Keep the 35mm, and never buy cheap glass.. Research, research, and then buy the best you can afford, every couple of years. RJM
07-25-2016, 06:27 AM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

Nice lens collection!

I think none of these goes wide enough for general use with APS-C cameras, but if you purchase the camera + a DA 18-55mm WR, then I would find # 4. SMC Pentax-F 70-210mm F4-5.6 autofocus lens the most useful of these. It easily replaces the DA 50-200 you are considering. The DA 18-55 WR doesn't add much to the camera price but its wideness and WR can be very useful and well worth the money.

I'm surprised that you didn't find a 50mm. Be sure to look what is mounted on the camera too.
07-25-2016, 07:00 AM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

Welcome, and that's certainly a fine grab-bag of lenses to put on a future Pentax DSLR. I would echo everything that's been said about the K-50; I would have to be wary about buying it knowing what I know and given the fact that it has been discontinued, but ultimately the chance is yours to take (and if I were going to buy one, it would be from an authorised seller or store, with a full, active, valid warranty).

However, all the lenses are usable on whichever Pentax DSLR you choose to buy, and I would not be in a hurry to get rid of any of them until I'd given them all a fair try. I suspect your grandfather would be pleased to see his old gear go back into full time use again.

The advantage of the current line of kit lenses is that they are weather-resistant to go with the current lineup of cameras. All of those are weather resistant EXCEPT, please note, for the KS-1. They didn't WR that one for some reason. For the sort of photography you do this might or might not matter, and please note that none of your older lenses are WR either, so consider that in context. Having either component non-WR will render the whole combination non-WR.

The F and FA lenses, particularly the FA, are autofocus, fully functional on a Pentax DSLR and can be used to the limit of their capabilities. The FA, I think, communicates extra information to the camera body that the older F does not - but I could be wrong on that one. Either way, both series are perfectly usable and there are those among us who are more enthusiastic about the F series for various reasons. To each their own.

Best of luck with your camera purchase!
07-25-2016, 07:10 AM - 1 Like   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Simen1 Quote
Nice lens collection!

I think none of these goes wide enough for general use with APS-C cameras, but if you purchase the camera + a DA 18-55mm WR, then I would find # 4. SMC Pentax-F 70-210mm F4-5.6 autofocus lens the most useful of these. It easily replaces the DA 50-200 you are considering. The DA 18-55 WR doesn't add much to the camera price but its wideness and WR can be very useful and well worth the money.

I'm surprised that you didn't find a 50mm. Be sure to look what is mounted on the camera too.
"They" practically give away the Pentax "KIT-LENS" (18-55mm), as well, they should, it's not much of a lens. But it is a FAIR lens as far as Kit lenses go. I don't think that anybody's kit lenses amount to much. Some actually have less value than a standard body CAP. The reason (the prime reason) I am All Pentax, is the fact that all K-mount lenses fit, from years back. Pentax also has some absolutely great glass, and the glass (lenses) is the most important part of Captureing light..(taking/ making images. RJM
07-25-2016, 09:58 AM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by p38arover Quote
Joe, is the Pentax 35-70 also a Pentax-A rather than F? The A is a manual focus: SMC Pentax-A 35-70mm F3.5-4.5 Reviews - A Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
Ron,
I have determined that the 35-80mm is an F-series.

---------- Post added 07-25-16 at 10:05 AM ----------

Thank you all so much for the wonderful advice regarding the lenses and K50.
I have been looking around at a few used K-5's as it seems to be a much more reliable.

How low of a shutter count should I be looking for? (Sub 5k or..)
What would be a fair price for a used K5?
Are you all aware of any sellers that would provide a warranty?
Should I even go for a WR camera if the majority of my lenses are not WR?

Sorry for the barrage of questions.

Thanks.
07-25-2016, 02:00 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

eBay has offers for Pentax cameras. K-5 or ks2 or k-3 or k-5ii or k-3ii. All great cameras. See what you're willing to spend. You will be buying other lenses as time goes bye and wr is a good investment. And I hope you haven't gotten any camera yet. Cuz I strongly recommend The K-5, K-5ii The K-3 or the K-3ii, absolutely the best . They all have"in the camera" shake reduction. All lenses from pentax will fit, and most are "great-Value" lenses. Keep us posted as to WHAT you finally decide. RJM
07-25-2016, 02:30 PM   #15

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photoramone Quote
eBay has offers for Pentax cameras. K-5 or ks2 or k-3 or k-5ii or k-3ii. All great cameras. See what you're willing to spend. You will be buying other lenses as time goes bye and wr is a good investment. And I hope you haven't gotten any camera yet. Cuz I strongly recommend The K-5, K-5ii The K-3 or the K-3ii, absolutely the best . They all have"in the camera" shake reduction. All lenses from pentax will fit, and most are "great-Value" lenses. Keep us posted as to WHAT you finally decide. RJM
Looking at a K3. Like new condition with shutter count just under 2k. Priced at $600. Should I go for it or keep looking around?

---------- Post added 07-25-16 at 02:34 PM ----------

Forgot to mention that it comes with all original contents and a 30 day warranty.