Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-27-2016, 12:33 PM - 2 Likes   #1

New Pentax K-3 User

Hello everyone! I recently got into photography and bought a K-3 for my trip to Japan and I'm loving it! Now I'm trying to figure out which lenses to upgrade to (from my kit lens) and came across this helpful forum! I really appreciate all the reviews and especially the attached photographs! Looking to contribute in the future .

07-27-2016, 12:54 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
What kit lens did you get?

---------- Post added 07-27-16 at 01:55 PM ----------

Also, what are you planning on taking pictures of?
07-27-2016, 01:42 PM   #3
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax is very well know and regarded for its prime lenses, especially up to 100mm focal length.

The "plastic fantastic" DA35mm f2.4 and DA50 mm f1.8 would be excellent choices for AF prime lenses with a limited budget. If you do not mind MF, there are great bargain in older MF lenses.

If you have a healthier budget, you may consider to go directly to the well-known FA Limited series and DA Limited series. For example, the FA31mm Ltd, FA77mm Ltd, DA15mm Ltd, DA40mm Ltd...

There are also the DA* prime lenses: DA*55mm, DA*200mm, DA*300mm.

The IQ of good primes can be outstanding, and worthwhile to consider in my opinion. In addition, a prime lens will push you to use your feet, to move around and ultimately will help you to become a better photographer IMHO.
07-27-2016, 02:01 PM - 2 Likes   #4
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Welcome, buying lenses is a national sport around here, that's your only warning that it could well become expensive for you.

07-27-2016, 02:42 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
What kit lens did you get?
I got the 18-135mm kit lens and I'm looking to get some primes that are sharper. I really liked close up photography on my Japan/Asia trip (with my non close up kit lens) so I'm looked into some macro lenses. Just bought the FA 100mm F2.8 macro which is on its way.

QuoteOriginally posted by hcc Quote
The IQ of good primes can be outstanding, and worthwhile to consider in my opinion. In addition, a prime lens will push you to use your feet, to move around and ultimately will help you to become a better photographer IMHO.
Yes! There are so many prime options it's overwhelming haha. I almost bought the FA 50mm f1.7 because of the great reviews but then I chanced upon the Voigtlander 58mm f1.4 and fell in love with the IQ. However I have been looking everywhere for it in the K mount version to no avail...

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Welcome, buying lenses is a national sport around here, that's your only warning that it could well become expensive for you.
Haha I can totally see how this hobby gets expensive very quickly. Currently looking into macro photography set up and a good tripod, head, rails, flash, lens etc. really adds up.
07-27-2016, 02:49 PM   #6
hcc
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by emmaZ Quote
Yes! There are so many prime options it's overwhelming haha. I almost bought the FA 50mm f1.7 because of the great reviews but then I chanced upon the Voigtlander 58mm f1.4 and fell in love with the IQ. However I have been looking everywhere for it in the K mount version to no avail...
The Voigtlander Nokton 58mm f1.4 (VL58mm) is a GREAT lens IMHO. You may find second hand copy (K mount) from time to time at the PF marketplace, Keh.com. Adorama (Used), B&H (used) or the bay. It is well worth be to patient and to grab one,

The VL58mm was my first prime, followed by the FA31mm Ltd. I shared some thoughts on both a few years afterwards:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/209251-fa31...mm-f1-4-a.html

Another great lens IMHO is the FA77mm Ltd. And I love the DA15mm Ltd.

For me, the Da15mm Ltd, FA31mm Ltd, VL58mm and FA77mm are my 4 musketeers (4 mousquetaires)!
07-27-2016, 03:53 PM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

Hi and welcome.

You've got an excellent kit lens (and will soon have a pretty good macro).

Hold off on any more lens purchases for now. Shoot your kit zoom for a few months, then sit down and work out at which focal lengths you took the most photos. This will determine the sorts of lenses you need to think about next, e.g. if all your shots are clustered at the long end, and you need more reach, or at the wide end and need a broader approach. Or was not enough speed your issue? And so on and so forth. Then by all means go nuts.

07-27-2016, 04:14 PM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Okay, while I could say stuff like get the stuff in my signature (I have some very sharp and well regarded lenses) I will say for now hold off. Yes, the macro will you just got is fine, and maybe add the 55-300 to see how you like the longer end and the 10-17 for the wider end, but then after that use them. Find what you like to use the best, and which focal lengths really stand out as your most used ones, then get stuff to fill that in. I certainly wish I had done so to begin with, but instead I kept swapping medocre lenses around and spent a lot more money than I should have. The two I suggested will serve you well, are pretty good consumer grade lenses, and along with the 18-135 will be a kit that will likely serve 99% of your needs.

In fact, for a Japan trip I'd add the 10-17 and then just take that and the 18-135. The 18-135 will be attached probably 80% of the time, and you can get pixel peeping sharpness with it. It may have been sold as a kit, but it really is much more than a kit lens.
07-27-2016, 06:54 PM   #9
Pentaxian

I have the Pentax 16-85 lens. I find the 16 end very useful, and it takes nice shots.

Welcome to the forums.

Last edited by C_Jones; 07-27-2016 at 07:03 PM.
07-27-2016, 10:06 PM   #10
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
Looking to contribute in the future .

Hi emmaZ. Welcome to the Pentax forums. I'm looking forward to seeing your contributions !! Good to have you on board here.
07-28-2016, 07:46 PM - 1 Like   #11

Original Poster
I'm so pleasantly surprised by how friendly and welcoming this forum is! Thank you all for the welcomes and I totally appreciate all the advice . I actually didn't think too much about which focal lengths I really need so it definitely makes sense to hold off for now and play with my kit lens more. I also didn't realize the potential of focal lengths <18mm, I'll definitely be on the look out for those!

QuoteOriginally posted by hcc Quote
The VL58mm was my first prime, followed by the FA31mm Ltd. I shared some thoughts on both a few years afterwards:
FA31mm f1.8 vs VL Nokton 58mm f1.4
I actually came across your review when I was looking into the VL58mm. Seems like a steal for the price as long as I can find one haha. The limited ones are all pretty pricey!
07-29-2016, 01:04 PM   #12
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi Emma - welcome to the forums! It's great that you chose a Pentax - a wise move, if I may say Your 18-135 is, from what I hear, a very good all-rounder. The FA100 you've bought is also fantastic. Since you like close-up work, another one to consider (but perhaps when you've had a good opportunity to make use of your existing kit) is the DA35 f/2.8 Limited Macro. 35mm is a very nice focal length on APS-C sensor cameras - great for general photography, and the macro capability of this lens allows you to focus very close-up indeed. The FA31 is arguably a more "special" lens, but the DA35 f/2.8 gives a lot of bang for the buck and scratches your macro itch too
08-06-2016, 08:48 AM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Hi Emma - welcome to the forums! It's great that you chose a Pentax - a wise move, if I may say
Thanks Mike! I mainly chose the Pentax K3 as it seemed a better bang for the buck compared to the D7100/7200 . It actually turns out that my FA100 macro might fall through so time to re-consider my options!

Just checked out the FA31mm to see what you meant by "special" and wow the pictures are gorgeous! Though some times beautiful review pictures makes me wonder how much of it is skill and how much of it is the lens
08-06-2016, 10:43 AM - 1 Like   #14
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm so pleasantly surprised by how friendly and welcoming this forum is!
Welcome, and congratulations on your K3! This camera will keep you busy for a very long time!

Indeed, this forum is filled with friendly members that want to help others enjoy photography more! It's nice to have you now among us!
08-06-2016, 10:44 AM - 1 Like   #15
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

welcome to PF!

nothing wrong with the 18-135, especially as a 'kit' lens:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/179869-da-1...at-can-do.html