Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-21-2008, 03:50 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Luddite from Wales

Hi. I recently joined and am finally getting around to introducing myself. I've been a Pentax owner since 1985 when I bought a brand-new ME Super with virtually my first pay check. Before that, I learned photography on my teacher's K1000.

I still have that ME Super. Still works perfectly, never needed servicing, and it's been around the world. My wife uses it now. I upgraded not long ago. I was looking at a K10D, but I ended up with ... an LX. Just couldn't make that plunge into digital, and lose the thrill of viewing pages of mounted slides on my lightbox.

I use mainly Pentax lenses: an SMC-A 50/1.4, some lovely old M-series primes and zooms, an A-series 35-1-5/3.5, etc. Possibly my favourite lens to use (if not to hold) is my MF Tamron SP 90/2.8 macro.

I'm a real photographic nostalgic. I love seeing old photos of wildlife photographers lugging shiny metal Olympuses and black Nikons through the jungle. And I still remember the feelings of lust aroused by camera adverts in National Geographic. Old cameras are beautiful, it has to be said. That craftsmanship, glamour and mystique has been mostly lost, with a few exceptions. I guess in return, the digital age has given us more accessiblility and a kind of democracy. But also the tyranny of the battery ...

Still ... an LXD, anyone?

Peter

07-21-2008, 04:52 AM   #2
krs
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum!

Per your intoduction, I am ready to take my "old" Pentax film camera and hike through the jungle somewhere (I would also be fine with hiking through the jungle with my K10D, too, though! ).
07-21-2008, 09:48 AM   #3

I am hoping to be hiking around Wales next year. Whether or not I bring my older film equipment with the marvelously heavy lenses has yet to be decided? How I love my Ricoh and Nikon film cameras!!

Any must see places in Wales for a trip of 5 days? MUST I rent a car?
07-22-2008, 05:33 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Whichever camera you bring, don't forget a rain-proof camera bag!

Most people go out west - Pembrokeshire etc. Stunning coastal scenery. I strongly recommend the Brecon Beacons and the area around Llanthony Priory. You can even stay at the abbey and have a pint in the old refectory. I haven't been up north - only moved here from New Zealand a couple of years ago - but near us in the south there's the Gower - a beautiful peninsula of cliffs and golden-sand beaches.

It's hilly around these parts, so a car is definitely recommended.