Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-31-2016, 03:09 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Pentax for a change, and why not?

Hi folks.

Paul here. New to the forum and I had not picked up a Pentax since my film days with a K1000, a MX and a P30. With DSLR's I went the Canon route progressing to full frame, and then a brief flirtation with Nikon for a couple of years.
My photography changed, the heavy stuff went, and I moved over to the Foveon chipped Sigma Merrills and Quattros which I find astounding and they have turned me into a Sigma 'fan-boy'
However, they are pretty useless for anything that moves and anything that needs ISO400 or above, so the tripod always comes with them.

So, I thought I would give Pentax a try out and first bought a ridiculously inexpensive (almost mint) K10D with a grip and stuck a Sigma 50mm 1.4 DG HSM on it to try out at Liverpool Brazilica festival a few weeks ago.
I am impressed with the handling of the camera, but you can tell the AF is circa 2006, when it gets it right it is spot on, but tends to miss a bit. Also 2006 meant ISO800 -1600 max. Still a very good camera.
So I went out and bought a K-30 (again a bargain) with a kit lens. I am just getting used to it but the focusing and low light are streets ahead of the K10D.

Looking forward to participating in the forum and maybe submitting a few reviews.

Cheers

Paul

07-31-2016, 03:29 PM   #2
pjv
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ozric Quote
Looking forward to participating in the forum and maybe submitting a few reviews.

Hi Paul. Welcome to the Pentax forums. I'm glad that you have come full circle back to Pentax.
Looking forward to your participation and reviews too. Good to have you here.

Last edited by pjv; 07-31-2016 at 03:44 PM. Reason: spelling.....oops !!
07-31-2016, 04:30 PM   #3
Tas
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
G'day Paul,

Welcome to the forums mate.

There's plenty of multi-system blokes like you on the forums so hopefully you'll enjoy your time here and get what you're seeking from your Pentax kit.

Hooroo,

Tas
08-01-2016, 12:12 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi Paul - welcome to the forums, and nice to hear you're back with Pentax

Are you shooting jpeg or raw? With raw capture and some gentle post-processing in a good post-processing application (I use Lightroom 6), you'd be amazed at the improvements you can make to noisy high ISO images. If you're not already doing this, it's worth consideration

08-01-2016, 11:15 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the welcome folks.

Mike, I only shoot RAW and I am a LR5.7 user along with ACDSee Pro 6. I have indeed found that some gentle post-processing can work wonders on noisy images :-)
08-01-2016, 12:45 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Mike, I only shoot RAW and I am a LR5.7 user along with ACDSee Pro 6.
Pleased to hear that We have members who favour either JPEG or RAW, and of course both have their advantages and disadvantages... but, in all honesty, I'm not a huge fan of Pentax's in-camera JPEG engine. I only switched to RAW less than a couple of years ago, but it has been extremely liberating and I couldn't go back to JPEG!
08-01-2016, 02:42 PM   #7
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, with each new generation of Pentax cameras the image capture just gets better and better.

The K1 is staggeringly noise free even at some higher ISOs.
08-04-2016, 03:50 AM   #8
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for the welcome. Already thinking of a K-5ii an some more top rate glass to complement the Sigma 50mm 1.4.

08-04-2016, 10:11 AM   #9
csa
Loyal Site Supporter

Paul, thank you for joining us here! We in turn, look forward to your participation in the threads and reviews!