Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-02-2016, 01:36 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Wide angle legacy lens for K1

Hello everybody,

I found the Tokina AF 193 19-35 mm f/3.5-4.5 in mint conditions and for a really interessting price.
So I am wondering if I should give it a try...
Does anybody have tried this Lens on the Pentax K1 or other dslr's? Would it fit? How where the results?

Thank you for your reply.

08-02-2016, 01:54 AM   #2
pjv
Eager To Learn

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by domisplanet Quote
Hello everybody,

Hi domisplanet. Welcome to the Pentax forums. Good to have you here.
08-02-2016, 01:57 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It scores 8.27 in the lens database, which is quite respectable. No reviews since the K-1 was released though.
If it is cheap you really have nothing to lose. Let us know how it goes!
08-02-2016, 02:06 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
It scores 8.27 in the lens database, which is quite respectable. No reviews since the K-1 was released though.
If it is cheap you really have nothing to lose. Let us know how it goes!
Hi Sandy, thank you for your reply. Yes it is around 40 dollars.

08-02-2016, 04:08 AM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well, give it a try and let us know how it is! Usually you get what you pay for, but there are always exceptions to that rule

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

08-02-2016, 05:13 AM   #6

Original Poster
I am a bit worried about incompatibiliy or camera demages. I did not had any problems with my old Pentax lenses so far... they all work well and the IQ is surprisingly good! But never tried an legacy 3rd party lens on the K1.
08-02-2016, 05:50 AM - 1 Like   #7
Moderator PEG Judges

QuoteOriginally posted by domisplanet Quote
Wide angle legacy lens for K1
Welcome, sorry can't help with this one...

I'm still using my “Mistress" (SMC Pentax-A 15mm F3.5) and my "Good Lady” (SMC Pentax-A 20mm F2.8), when I need to be wide on the K1.
08-02-2016, 06:09 AM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

Back in my film days, I used a Vivitar 19-35 lens (the Tokina should be superior if random people on the internets are to be believed). I wasn't a pixel peeper in those days, so I can't say anything about corner-to-corner wide-open sharpness. But I can say that 19-35 on a full frame is a really nice focal length range for urban/interior architecture and landscape.

My view is that every lens can be the right lens for some pictures and that photography is sometimes about finding/creating the images that suits the available equipment as much as it's about finding/buying equipment that suits the available or intended images.

Unless you already have 19-35 mm covered by your existing or plan-to-purchase lenses, I'd definitely get this one.

08-21-2016, 01:46 PM   #9

Original Poster
The Lens arrived and I finally found some time to get a few samples with the Tokina 19-35mm.

The build quality seems to be pretty solid. Its mainly made of Polycarbonate and Aluminum.
Autofocus is quite fast and accurate (srewdrive Type).

The image quality is pretty good for the price I paid (around 70$ in near mint conditions).
I did not test it at all focal lengths and apertures yet, but the first Impression is quite good. Specialy the colors are nice.
One thing I noticed with the K1 that it seems to overexpose slightly with auto mode in bright conditions.

I think its a nice Lens for nature and landscapephography
10-26-2016, 08:20 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Hey any more updates on this lens? I'd love to see what you can do with it.
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
I'm still using my “Mistress" (SMC Pentax-A 15mm F3.5) and my "Good Lady” (SMC Pentax-A 20mm F2.8), when I need to be wide on the K1.
Hey Karrowdown, do you have a gallery or flickr that has shots with the K1 and A 15 / A 20?
10-27-2016, 01:47 PM   #11
Moderator PEG Judges

QuoteOriginally posted by wissink Quote
Hey any more updates on this lens? I'd love to see what you can do with it.

Hey Kerrowdown, do you have a gallery or flickr that has shots with the K1 and A 15 / A 20?
Sorry no flickr... but here's a few recent ones with the "Good Lady” (Pentax-A 20mm F2.8)

Follow this link for the “Mistress" (Pentax-A 15mm F3.5) https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/12-post-your-photos/320734-architecture-s...t=she%27s+wide
11-04-2016, 02:00 AM   #12
Site Supporter

G'day mate and welcome to the forum
11-04-2016, 06:45 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Follow this link for the “Mistress" (Pentax-A 15mm F3.5) She's
Follow this link for the “Mistress" (Pentax-A 15mm F3.5) She's Wide

Thanks Kerrowdown! They both look pretty good. Keep those ladies under control haha. Don't forget ladies are sensitive to being called "wide." Its very easily interpreted as fat, chunky, obese, and ultimately ugly...