Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
08-03-2016, 08:00 PM - 1 Like   #1

Hi new OZZY member with a K-S1

I have a K-Si and have trouble working out what lenses fit it. It says in the manual that it can take DA, DA L or FA J lenses. I am looking for an all round lens of say 28 - 120mm. Have some old very good lens from a 35mm film SLR Richo XRP. It is a 28 -100mm with a 67mm aperture ring. I am not concerned regarding auto functions with such a lense.
The question I have is would someone suggest a lense which is compatible with my K-S1? Also is it SAFE to use the old Richo lense.
All the very best to you all shutter bugs.

---------- Post added 08-03-16 at 08:08 PM ----------

I see a DA 18-135mm F/3.5-5.6 ED AL [IF] DC WR 4 K-5 K-r K-7 K-x K-5IIs on ebay would this be compatable with my K-S1 please?

08-03-2016, 08:29 PM   #2
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
G'Day and welcome to the forum, hope you enjoy your time here.

And yes, the lens is the correct one to fit the K-S1.

Tas
08-03-2016, 09:02 PM   #3
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to the Forums. A word of caution to start with. Some Ricoh lenses have what is known as the "dreaded Ricoh pin". The lens will mount like a normal K-mount but then be impossible to remove. Every so often there is a query about it. You will find info here or someone will chime in with the details and maybe how to modify it. Other than that, your KS-1 will take any Pentax K-mount lens (or a third party lens built with a K-mount). It will also take older M42 (screw mount) lenses with an adapter. But have fun with your K-S1 and post some pics for us.
08-03-2016, 09:10 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
G'day mate and welcome to the forum

08-03-2016, 10:16 PM   #5
Closed Account

QuoteOriginally posted by FLOSSEY Quote
Hi new OZZY member with a K-S1

Hi FLOSSEY. Welcome to the Pentax forums. Many members here have a soft spot for the 18-135 WR ( me included !!! ). It is a very good general purpose lens.
Any help or advice you may need is only a question away. Good to have you here mate.
08-03-2016, 10:21 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Another Aussie is always welcome.
The DA18-135 would suit you needs perfectly.
Be careful of the Ricoh lens - the aperture coupling pin on old Ricoh lenses can be a problem on Pentax DSLR's.
08-03-2016, 11:28 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi there from Adelaide.

I started my SLR experiences with a Ricoh SLR in the 70's before upgrading to a ME Super.

In general, if a lens has a K mount, the K-S1 will work with it.

The Ricoh mount is a physically a K mount but with different electronic interfacing for those that supported auto-exposure.

The Ricoh pin issue (if your lenses have this pin) is quite easily resolved by removing the mount and removing the pin and the spring behind it and them reassembling the mount to the lens.

The pin, which was unique to the Ricoh version of the K mount, just happens to align with the autofocus screw on a Pentax dSLR. The pin drops down into the recess for the autofocus screw and then gets stuck as there is nothing to lift the pin as the lens is being removed. This stops the lens from being rotated to release it from the bayonet. Not good!

I'm sure a bit of Googling will give you some examples of how to remove the pin.

Once past the pin issue, you will need to use A or M mode on the K-S1. For lenses that do not support auto-exposure (Pentax K or M lenses, the early Ricoh bayonet lenses), in A mode, the camera will perform metering on the half press of the shutter button BUT the aperture will not be shut down on taking the image, ie the lens will always be wide open. In M mode, you can control shutter speed from the camera and aperture from the lens aperture ring. To meter in M mode, the Green button on your K-S1 is used to measure and set exposure.

With your Ricoh lenses, if they are models supporting auto-exposure, note the Ricoh auto-exposure implementation is somewhat different to that of Pentax. You may get full aperture control or not in A mode. You may simply need to experiment with that.

As pre-A lenses are not recognised by Pentax dSLRS, you will also need to dive into the camera setup menu for a setting which allows the camera to function even when no lens is detected. This is a once off task.

Last edited by southlander; 08-04-2016 at 05:54 AM.
08-03-2016, 11:58 PM   #8
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Welcome to the forum, enjoy all that you find here.
08-04-2016, 12:29 AM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tas Quote
G'Day and welcome to the forum, hope you enjoy your time here.

And yes, the lens is the correct one to fit the K-S1.

Tas
Thanks Tas