Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-05-2016, 06:35 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi from Stockport, UK

Hi, after years spent studying creative photography in the 70s, followed by 20years+ working in the dark room as a colour printer, I invested in a cheap Pentax K100D bought off ebay, to utilise my old Pentax lenses for my film camera. I've recently upgraded to a Pentax K5 II s, and am struggling through the transition from film to digital photography, with the aid of u tube and forums like this! I'm rediscovering my enthusiasm for photography, but hampered by lack of knowledge and no longer having the 20/ 20 vision I had in the 70s! I found this forum while searching for an answer to focussing problems (i.e sharpness) in action photography.Mainly using a Sigma DC 18-200MM 1:35-6.3 (all purpose for most eventualities, lazy?) Wondering if I should invest in a really good lens that wouldn't break the bank?
I'm sure I'm going to have some stupid questions to ask...stand by
KP

Attached Images

08-05-2016, 01:53 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to the forums, KP - great to have you with us. That's a *sharp* photo!

As for lenses... so-called Superzooms like your Sigma 18-200 are great for convenience (I use a Sigma 18-300 as a walk-around when I don't want to carry several lenses). However, they're a compromise, performing reasonably well at short-to-medium focal lengths and often just ok at the long end. Also, the maximum aperture is usually quite slow, which seriously limits your ability to shoot in anything but good light unless you bump up the ISO (introducing noise and reducing dynamic range), or use a tripod and drop the shutter speed.

Is there a range of focal lengths that you find the majority of your photography falling within? Knowing that will help you in choosing a lens if you decide to look for something offering improved image quality
08-05-2016, 01:57 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forums. I have a K-5IIS also, along with my K-3II. The K-5IIS showed what a really outstanding amount of detail a DSLR can provide. It is a very nice camera. The K-3II goes even further in the detail category for subjects at a
distance and the AF seems to be faster during tracking situations (moving subjects).

I have a Pentax 16-85 on my K-5IIS presently and a Sigma 150-500 DG OS on my Pentax K-3II.

Maybe a Pentax 16-85 or a Pentax 18-135 would be some lens candidates that you could consider.

Trial and error during actual use of your camera is going to show what the best technique is for you personally. Also your manual and a forum like this are resources that you can resort to as reference.

Nice shot.

Happy shooting!
08-05-2016, 03:30 PM   #4
pjv
Eager To Learn

QuoteOriginally posted by KPsplash Quote
Hi from Stockport, UK

Hi KP. Welcome to the Pentax forums. Mike and C_Jones have given excellent responses to your question so far. Other members who are more knowledgeable than I am will also give you advice. This group is great like that. Do not worry " too " much about asking silly questions. We were all newbies once !!! Very good 1st photograph from you. Good to have you here.

08-07-2016, 01:14 AM   #5
Moderator PEG Judges

Welcome to the forum, with Pentax ownership bodies will come and go, but glass lasts... so investment in it is more than worthwhile IMHO.
08-08-2016, 02:23 AM   #6

Original Poster
Hi and thanks for your welcomes and advice. I've taken on board what you said about the Sigma lens and had sort of arrived at that conclusion after taking action shots at the long end of the focus. I've got some questions to ask about action shots (mainly horses and related sports) and focusing, but guess I should do this on another part of the Forums? I've done 3 different "get off auto" type courses and had contradictory advice from all 3! However, all helped me understand various setting to some degree and I feel I am getting there (slowly)
Questions to follow...
08-09-2016, 12:08 AM   #7
Moderator PEG Judges

QuoteOriginally posted by KPsplash Quote
I've done 3 different "get off auto" type courses and had contradictory advice from all 3!
Courses have to make it sound like a black art... to sell more courses.

Just get going taking pictures, it will fall into place as you go forwards and you learn from trial and error, remember to also enjoy this experience.
08-09-2016, 02:34 AM   #8

Original Poster
Ha ha .. know what you mean about the courses..got more out of taking shots and discussing with fellow course attendees.. managed a few shots I quite liked with my soon to be replaced Sigma 18-200 though...

Attached Images

08-09-2016, 03:05 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

Nice shots - especially the river-boat scene They look sharp, too, although it's always a little difficult to tell at these sizes...

Just one more thing regarding your Sigma 18-200. If you can afford to keep it as well as buying your new lens(es), I'd advise doing so.

Most of the lenses I own are optically superior to any super-zoom; however, there are times... a surprising number, actually... where I just don't want to carry anything with me except my camera with a lens attached. In those situations - where convenience is more important than getting the best image quality - a super-zoom really is invaluable. A lot of people criticise them, and it's understandable, but I wouldn't want to be without mine.

If, however, your other lens purchases depend on you selling the Sigma, then don't worry about it. You can always replace it quite inexpensively later on
« New Guy | Hello »