Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-14-2016, 02:45 AM   #1

Hi from London, UK

Morning Pentax world,

Just a quick post to say hi.

I'm a Canon user of 15+ years, but last year sold the lot to raise funds for the impending doom of parenthood. Now I'm in the pit of photographic despair and trying to scrape pennies out of the back of the sofa to buy the K1 and a handful of lenses. Can't wait to join the Pentax gang... Hopefully I should have everything within a month or so. Here's the kit I'm thinking of getting and the dilemmas I face. Thoughts welcome!

Pentax HD Pentax-D FA 28-105mm f/3.5-5.6 ED DC WR
+
Pentax FA 35mm F2 AL OR Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art series
Pentax FA 50mm f/1.4 OR Pentax 43mm f1.9 FA
Pentax FA 77mm f/1.8 OR Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM
Pentax D-FA 100mm F2.8 WR Macro OR Tamron 90mm f2.8 SP Di Macro

Muzzle

08-14-2016, 03:15 AM   #2
pjv
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Muzzle Quote
Can't wait to join the Pentax gang... Hopefully I should have everything within a month or so.
Hi Muzzle. Welcome to the Pentax forums and the joys of upcoming parenthood !!! That sounds like a great kit you are getting whichever choice of lens you make. Looking forward to seeing some of your photographs when you get up and running. Good to have you here.

Last edited by pjv; 08-14-2016 at 03:23 AM.
08-14-2016, 03:21 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Welcome, and thanks for the intro! Congratulations on the (impending) parenthood as well

My thoughts, for what they are worth, on the lenses you mention, would be to get the FA43 instead of both the 35mm and 50mm alternatives, definitely the FA77 over the Sigma 85, and probably the DFA100 over the Tamron (although they are both very good). Then maybe add something wider than 35mm - if you like shooting wide, that is. I do

That said, I don't see any "wrongs" on your list.
08-14-2016, 03:48 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi Muzzle - and a warm welcome to the forums, great to have you with us.

The K-1 should be an excellent choice. I don't own one - my Pentax gear is all APS-C - but I tried one at a photography show earlier this year, and it's an impressive camera.

The 28-105 is a bit of a no-brainer, really, as it's the perfect walk-around lens - not heavy, and with a good focal length range. Forums members who own it seem to be very happy with it.

As for the rest... if budget allows, as a general rule I personally would go for Pentax lenses, though there's nothing wrong with third party glass and some of it is outstanding.

The FA43 and FA77 are highly regarded (especially the 77), but are slightly slower than the alternatives you mention. If that doesn't concern you, I think you'd be delighted with them, as the rendering is supposed to be extremely pleasing to the eye (the 77, in particular, is considered to be one of the best Pentax lenses ever).

For macro, I'd recommend the DFA100, only because I use one on my K-3 and I'm blown away by the image quality. I believe there are slightly sharper lenses out there, but overall performance is superb. It's a wonderful bit of kit.

I can't offer a view on your 35mm choices - I'm sure both would be great, but the shallow depth of field offered by the Sigma would be nice to have. That's a lens I'd like to try, as 35mm - whether on crop or FF - is probably my favourite focal length

Last edited by BigMackCam; 08-14-2016 at 06:41 AM.
08-14-2016, 04:05 AM   #5
Forum Member

Uh, an european (brexit or not) in a sea of americans and australians… I feel now less "alone"

Welcome here!

EDIT: didn't notice BigMackCam was european too
08-14-2016, 04:52 AM   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sasha Quote
EDIT: didn't notice BigMackCam was european too
One here as well
08-14-2016, 06:45 AM   #7
Moderator PEG Judges

QuoteOriginally posted by Muzzle Quote
trying to scrape pennies out of the back of the sofa to buy the K1
Welcome to the forum, first thought is... good luck with the seeking of buried treasure in the sofa.

The second thought I had was... remember there's a stack of good legacy glass out there, that can be acquired for not fortunes and will work really well with the K1.
08-14-2016, 08:24 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Welcome to the forums. If a K-1 was in my plans, I would consider a 24-70 for a wide/semi-wide end zoom for versatility, but it looks like primes are in your list so I will just mention it.

Last edited by C_Jones; 08-14-2016 at 12:04 PM.
08-14-2016, 10:51 PM   #9

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for being so welcoming. 'Upcoming' parenthood has long come up: she's 9 months old now, and I'm feeling like we're starting to come out of the fog!

Thanks too for your kit suggestions. Some really useful points.

What I want for starters is an all-purpose walk-around lens, a street lens, standard lens, a portrait lens and a macro. That was the guiding theory of my selections.

Next up will be a lens that will prove a good addition in the studio, which is a field I've not done much work in to date but want to develop this year through clubs and workshops etc. I'll also look to add something wider a bit later on (I'm a city boy these days and so am happy for the all-purpose lens to cover the wider end, at least for the first year or so of my Pentax journey).