12-30-2016, 08:16 AM   #31
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ccc_ Quote
try 12 8 11 9 51 54

when you win buy yourself a pelican 1510 or two and send me the rest

I hadn't noticed but you are going to fly, yes?
the 1510 is the largest hard case you can carry on

you will miss three days of unbelievable landscapes as you traverse the high plains
you'll miss a bowl of chili at Chugwater, Wyoming as well...just sayin'

that's all I've got

yes we are flying, wife was worried that the 2002 Suburban LT, practicably brand new - only 180,000 + miles, still on first engine, bumps, bruises, broken buttons, front driver seat all cracked and ripped and now rusting IOW it has character, wouldn't be up for the trip :

17 h 5 min (1,247 miles) one way
via I-70 W and I-25 N

12-30-2016, 09:23 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
probably a recipe for disaster
though you'd likely get a new truck out of it(no, a suburban is far too big for an SUV you are in the dreadnought class)

if you get a chance some day the drive really is amazing
we usually allot three days each way

mountains and forests make me claustrophobic but the plains getting to them are...perfect!

my wife insists on trees and winds under 30mph or we'd live in eastern Wyoming
I had a chance to buy a thousand acres in the Nebraska sandhills and could just about afford it then
but no trees...no move
the truth is, the grass barely grew there
the only other creatures that liked it were the prairie dogs and rattlesnakes and they looked pretty skinny
12-31-2016, 11:11 AM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
Thanks to all for the advice.

As far as I am concerned you all earn "Bonus" points as the advice is very helpful.

Please keep it coming

For one day, we have arranged for a private guided tour (6 + hours) for the two of us. Two days we have arranged NPS tours. Other wise I will be driving what "they" call a SUV (a Ford Escape or similar vehicle - we have a true SUV a Suburban here at home.) unless my wife feels comfortable driving. I am concerned about spotting wild life while driving and then being able to get the camera "up and running".

Since I can't be taking any "snap" shots using the window mount, (I would have to set the camera and lens up on it) would it be better to go with the bean bag set up??? Can I even set the window mount on the window in advance and keep there as I go down the road?? It would seem quicker to turn off the engine, grab the bean bag and set it and the camera on the window glass.

Uncle Vanya says:

"On a related note - my dad has a manfrotto window mount and found that with the K-3 or K-50 and the DA* 60-250 the camera protruded too far into the cabin to be comfortable to use from the window mount even with a smallish ball head. The problem was simply that the tripod mount pushed too much camera back into his Nissan truck to make it viable"

I have the same fear. Cabela's has a good return program, may just have to try it out.

ccc says:

"bean bags get a warning as well...always have a strap attached to the camera and you
thirty five hundred dollars bouncing down the mountain would be heartbreaking"

First thing I was taught about handling my dad's Yashica SLR way back in the day.

"I paid for that )(*$(&G strap, put it over your neck"

I always say something very similar to anyone who picks up any of my cameras.

I always put the strap around my neck, even if I am using the hand grip or have the camera mounted on a tripod.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I am seriously thinking of adding the smc Pentax dal 4-5.6 50-200 mm wr ed zoom 49 f to the gear I will haul.

Additionally, I have 2 old 2x converters: Vivitar MC Teleconverter 2x PK-A/R-PK and Focal MC 2x Converter 20-06-42 KR

I know nothing about them, does any one?

Thanks

Yes do take the 55-200, you will not regret it.

---------- Post added 12-31-16 at 12:14 PM ----------

yes we are flying, wife was worried that the 2002 Suburban LT, practicably brand new - only 180,000 + miles, still on first engine, bumps, bruises, broken buttons, front driver seat all cracked and ripped and now rusting IOW it has character, wouldn't be up for the trip :

17 h 5 min (1,247 miles) one way
via I-70 W and I-25 N
The Sub would make it fine. Those things run 300k easy. I would tell the wife this trip calls for a new Suburban Premier with 22's! Only 70K or so sticker 60 or so OTD with a few rebates!

Remember I got a "base" 2015 GMC Yukon SLE with 4WD and the improved fuel economy, better driving dynamics and additional 70 horsepower would make it worth the steep price. The Yukon in easy to drive and if you sink your foot into that EcoTec 5.3L it really boogies.

Last edited by gm4life; 12-31-2016 at 11:19 AM.
01-01-2017, 06:03 AM   #34
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
... I would tell the wife this trip calls for a new Suburban ... .
Not in budget, In no particular order of importance, son has upcoming wedding we have to help pay for, we just lost our English springer + need to replace with a new puppy of some sort, upcoming trip to Gran Tetons/Yellowstone NP, living expenses and NECESSARY photography equipment ( is buying new/gently used Photography equipment ever not NECESSARY?? )

01-01-2017, 06:16 AM   #35
Veteran Member

Some people find it takes a bit of time to get good shots out of the DFA 150-450 on a consistent basis. One would need to get the fine focus adjustment right and get some practise in. DA 300 is much easier.

Maybe DA 60-250 and TC might be a better bet.
01-01-2017, 07:17 AM   #36
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
Some people find it takes a bit of time to get good shots out of the DFA 150-450 on a consistent basis. One would need to get the fine focus adjustment right and get some practise in. DA 300 is much easier.

Maybe DA 60-250 and TC might be a better bet.
Practice makes perfect some people say

I plan on working with the new to me 150 -450 and the fine focus adjustment

And I have to use what I got and I ain't got the DA 300 or DA 60 - 250
01-01-2017, 08:57 AM   #37
Veteran Member

Not in budget, In no particular order of importance, son has upcoming wedding we have to help pay for, we just lost our English springer + need to replace with a new puppy of some sort, upcoming trip to Gran Tetons/Yellowstone NP, living expenses and NECESSARY photography equipment ( is buying new/gently used Photography equipment ever not NECESSARY?? )
I know... I am only kidding... No electronics... So glass, bodies, tablets, computers, tvs are all necessary in my book!

Tell the wife next year on the new Sub then!

In all seriousness though if you have enjoyed the first Suburban that much... We have a new body style Yukon the GMC's shorter twin to a Suburban, I can vouch you would love the improvements. It won't be as quick as the Audi but it will still really move!

Just food for thought and giving you a hard time!

01-01-2017, 09:10 AM   #38
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gm4life Quote
I know... I am only kidding... No electronics... So glass, bodies, tablets, computers, tvs are all necessary in my book!

Tell the wife next year on the new Sub then!

In all seriousness though if you have enjoyed the first Suburban that much... We have a new body style Yukon the GMC's shorter twin to a Suburban, I can vouch you would love the improvements. It won't be as quick as the Audi but it will still really move!

Just food for thought and giving you a hard time!
Actually she does want to replace the Suburban at some point with another 4 wheel drive so she is guaranteed to be able to get to work here in Kansas (the well known region of the great frozen north where we get so much snow - NOT -) and I am trying to figure out why the 2 of us need 3 vehicles.
01-01-2017, 06:14 PM   #39
Veteran Member

I was going from an earlier post where you were going to rent a 150-450......
01-01-2017, 07:05 PM   #40
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I was going from an earlier post where you were going to rent a 150-450......

No problem, that explains all, I was going to but I found a good deal and wife decided I could get it for a combo Christmas and birthday present.

thanks for the suggestion about needing to keep trying to become good with it

Do you think that working with the big guy -150 -450 mm zoom at short and intermediate distance would be helpful or do I need to "stretch it out" to learn ?
01-01-2017, 10:52 PM - 1 Like   #41
Veteran Member

No problem, that explains all, I was going to but I found a good deal and wife decided I could get it for a combo Christmas and birthday present.

thanks for the suggestion about needing to keep trying to become good with it

Do you think that working with the big guy -150 -450 mm zoom at short and intermediate distance would be helpful or do I need to "stretch it out" to learn ?
I've had mine for over a year now.... I quite like it. Anyway, I was mostly using F*300/4.5 before that.... a quite lite and small 300. Some key thoughts from me are.....
1: Best iq around f8-11
2: it's light transmittance for a given aperture is 1-1.5 stops less then a prime.... so shutter speed goes down or ISO up for a given aperture.... ie. it needs lot's of light.
3. A sling is your best friend
4. higher iso is a better friend then slower shutter speed
5. a mono pod is your next best friend.... or some sort of rest
6. it's a good lens capable of high quality results
7. 450mm on a K3 requires conscious effort for top results (it is 600mm anyhow)
8. K1 loves it

It's not just for small things

01-02-2017, 01:37 AM   #42
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
BONUS POINTS AWARDED

I plan on starting my practice with the big guy asap.

thanks
01-03-2017, 02:25 AM - 2 Likes   #43
Veteran Member

Me again...got your pm Allen...all good. Thought I'd just mention with the 150-450, when shooting hand held I'll mostly shoot off a burst of 5-8 images and pick the keeper from there.... the tree above was a quick "stop the car get out and shoot a few frames of"f as a split in the clouds lit up the tree and paddock....at 450 mm....easy as. Also, with the longer lens..... one can position oneself to take some lovely landscapes looking over some boring land and reaching right out.... I look for this now when weather conditions permit.....in the following shot a lot of boring paddock (a few miles) etc was in the foreground.... (not a great shot but demonstrates what I'm talking about)

Also.... the lens compression at 450 is fab.... I was maybe 6-700 yards from this look out.... down on the beach in Knee deep water to get this one (water proof tripod)

And reach in and grab details .....

Have fun!

Last edited by noelpolar; 01-03-2017 at 02:32 AM.
01-03-2017, 08:12 AM   #44
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Me again...got your pm Allen...all good. Thought I'd just mention with the 150-450, when shooting hand held I'll mostly shoot off a burst of 5-8 images and pick the keeper from there.... the tree above was a quick "stop the car get out and shoot a few frames of"f as a split in the clouds lit up the tree and paddock....at 450 mm....easy as. Also, with the longer lens..... one can position oneself to take some lovely landscapes looking over some boring land and reaching right out.... I look for this now when weather conditions permit.....in the following shot a lot of boring paddock (a few miles) etc was in the foreground.... (not a great shot but demonstrates what I'm talking about)

Also.... the lens compression at 450 is fab.... I was maybe 6-700 yards from this look out.... down on the beach in Knee deep water to get this one (water proof tripod)

And reach in and grab details .....

Have fun!
This collection is quite illustrative and very good.
04-04-2017, 06:58 AM   #45
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
update and more questions

ok, I am reviving this thread to list my equipment choices and to get some additional help deciding on equipment usage.

I will have the K 5 II and the K 3. The question is, since I want to have both ready at the same time, which lens would you recommend being paired with what DSLR?

I can foresee opportunities where I want the range of the big guy - HD Pentax-D FA 4.5 - 5.6 150-450 mm ED DC AW 86 f, ready to go and a shorter lens on the other DSLR ready for an opportunity where the big guy would not be a good choice. Most likely time this would be happening is when we are in the vehicle or standing for an opportunity, I doubt if I want to try carrying two "loaded" DSLRs.

Should I mate the 1.4 extender to the big guy or not? that would give me the maximum "reach" I could get.

____________________________________________________________-

For those who are "coming in late" and don't want to read the prior posts, this is a request for assistance on what equipment to take with us as we go on our first trip to the Grand Tetons and Yellowstone National Park in early June 2017. We hope to have the chance to photograph wild life, we are not that concerned with flash photography. Plan on shooting in natural light as much as possible.

All equipment will be carried with us on planes (hopefully the cameras and lenses as carry on) and a rental vehicle, we don't plan on any extensive hiking carrying the equipment. I have 2 Op/Tech USA utility slings and 2 Joby UtraFit Hand Strap with Ultraplate on the DSLRs to use to carry the equipment and a Lowepro 400 back pack as well.

my current options include:

we have Pentax K 3 and K 5 II, 2 Nikon Coolpix P610 (I plan on taking both DSLRs and 1 of the Nikons for my wife to use)

Currently I am planning on taking the following:

smc Pentax-DA 1.8 50 mm prime 52 f,

smc Pentax-D FA 2.8 100 mm macro prime 49 f,

HD Pentax DA 3.5-5.6 16 - 85 mm wr zoom 72 f,

HD Pentax-D FA 4.5 - 5.6 150-450 mm ED DC AW 86 f and

HD Pentax -DA af rear converter 1.4 AW,

along with the Pentax O-GPS1, Manfrrotto 679B/NK11 Monopod, Joby Ball X JB00157 ball Head, Benro Go Travel 1 GA168T Tripod

this gives me length (especially with the rear converter), macro ability if necessary and an ability to use 1.8 if necessary due to low light.

I have two external flash units that I don't plan on taking, should I? Pentax AF160FC Ring Flash and Metz 52 AF-1 digital and and a flash extender

thank you in advance for your suggestions and advice.