Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-18-2016, 09:12 AM   #31
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Macro shots

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
Tripods are nearly useless for macro photography unless you have a rail. For macro photography you don't need auto focus lenses, and you need to be able to move your camera in and out (forward and backward) to get focus. Without a rail, and just a tripod, that can get tedious to do.

Here are samples of mine using the Tamron Adaptall 2 90mm macro lens:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/1photolady/albums/72157651766449752

All manual focus, all handheld.

Those shots are amazing! I'm feeling a wee overwhelmed at the moment. I'm not sure what to do!

08-18-2016, 10:14 AM   #32
Forum Member

Original Poster
Macro filter lenses

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Something like the following set from Bower would be fine:

Bower 62mm Close UP Filter Lens SET 1 2 4 10 HD Digital Macro KIT 6pcs | eBay

This is for any lens with a filter size of 62mm (which I guessed, as the Tamron 28-200 has a 62mm filter size).

This won't give you the same image quality as a dedicated macro lens, but it *will* let you take very close-up images and with a bit of practice you can get some excellent results, considering the low cost. It's a really inexpensive and fun way to get started...

Purchased!
08-18-2016, 10:19 AM   #33
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by lauravp77 Quote
Those shots are amazing! I'm feeling a wee overwhelmed at the moment. I'm not sure what to do!
We forum people are pretty enthusiastic. I'd ignore all the chatter and see what your existing gear can do!

While it doesn't fit the bill for any one thing, I strongly suggest buying a used 50mm manual lens off a forum person or kijiji at some point. They are dirt cheap, and even most of the old ones will produce some pretty awesome results.
08-18-2016, 10:30 AM   #34
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I agree with bobotron. If you get a 50mm it can be coupled with a set of closeup lenses, or a DCR-250.

Take your time, you don't have to rush out and buy the lenses mentioned in this thread, Tamrons. I started macro photography in 1999 using a set of Hoya closeup filters on a 50mm f2 lens. I didn't have money then either, and hadn't even discover the other lenses or adapters until I joined PF in 2009.

08-18-2016, 10:34 AM   #35
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
Tripods are nearly useless for macro photography unless you have a rail.
It depends on what you're photographing and whether you are free to move it into or out of focus, but having the tripod at least gets you away from the need to keep ISO up for shutter speed, especially if you're stopping down on uncoupled extension tubes.

Fortunately single-axis focusing rails are cheap.
08-18-2016, 11:51 AM   #36
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
but having the tripod at least gets you away from the need to keep ISO up for shutter speed
I haven't found a need for that and shoot mainly with an extender/diffuser with onboard flash. Flash freezes most insects. I have yet to try my extension tube I made from a glassed out 2x A TC.
08-18-2016, 05:45 PM   #37
Forum Member

Original Poster
Okay, well tysm Mike! I am now set for a while with lenses! Now I just need to learn
08-20-2016, 07:02 PM   #38
Site Supporter

Hello Laura and welcome from Toronto

I think you are wise to start with macro filters. Macro lenses for "walking about" is something I do regularly, but there are two downsides. If an autofocus macro lens misses focus, it can take it longer than a regular lens to recover. Second, macro lenses are often a single focal length. If that length is wrong for whatever you happen upon when walking, you might not get a shot you want. (Zoom with your feet can be useless advice when it comes to birds.)

When you say night sky landscape, do you mean stars etc, i.e. astrophotography, or buildings set off by a dark sky? If it's the latter, it might be worth considering the 18-55mm WR (or earlier versions). This lens is usually included as a kit lens and frequently gets resold practically new for not that much from people who got it with a new body and don't need it. It would get you a different, wider focal length that might be useful for landscapes.

I'm looking forward to seeing your pictures when you get all this sorted out.

08-20-2016, 08:28 PM   #39
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by eyrr Quote
Hello Laura and welcome from Toronto

I think you are wise to start with macro filters. Macro lenses for "walking about" is something I do regularly, but there are two downsides. If an autofocus macro lens misses focus, it can take it longer than a regular lens to recover. Second, macro lenses are often a single focal length. If that length is wrong for whatever you happen upon when walking, you might not get a shot you want. (Zoom with your feet can be useless advice when it comes to birds.)

When you say night sky landscape, do you mean stars etc, i.e. astrophotography, or buildings set off by a dark sky? If it's the latter, it might be worth considering the 18-55mm WR (or earlier versions). This lens is usually included as a kit lens and frequently gets resold practically new for not that much from people who got it with a new body and don't need it. It would get you a different, wider focal length that might be useful for landscapes.

I'm looking forward to seeing your pictures when you get all this sorted out.
No, I mean starscapes. Thanks for the welcome I took some shots with it today on P mode, but they're mostly rubbish. Have to find a better place to go get shots.
08-21-2016, 12:31 AM   #40
Moderator PEG Judges

QuoteOriginally posted by lauravp77 Quote
I'm feeling a wee overwhelmed at the moment
A native speaker of my language.
08-26-2016, 03:44 PM   #41
Site Supporter

Welcome from Nova Scotia, I still have my K10. Join one of the "Daily" or "Single" monthly groups. You try to take a picture every day and post it here or flickr say, and others will comment and never belittle your shots, plus you get to see what other folks are seeing. I really enjoy these groups and join now and then as its hard every month for me.
You will meet some really nice folks there.
08-31-2016, 02:13 PM   #42
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thank you zippythezip, I will check those out.