Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-18-2016, 07:36 AM   #1

Hello from the Dark Continent

Hello all,

Just joined. Looking to get hooked up with Pentax gear. Lots of reading to do here to come up to speed on whats what with Pentax.

My interest is Takumar Lenses and the Q-S1. (for now)

Thanks

NedKelly (from down under but live in Africa now)

08-18-2016, 07:40 AM   #2
csa
Loyal Site Supporter

Ned, a warm Welcome to you! The Q's are quite capable of some fine images; so we're looking forward to photos of your beautiful country when you get your equipment!

Thanks for joining us here!
08-18-2016, 07:43 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
Ned, a warm Welcome to you! The Q's are quite capable of some fine images; so we're looking forward to photos of your beautiful country when you get your equipment!

Thanks for joining us here!
Thanks for the welcome csa.

My interest in the Q-S1 is stealth. Want to be as unobtrusive as possible. The smaller the camera the better i reckon.

Regards

NK
08-18-2016, 07:48 AM   #4
csa
Loyal Site Supporter

I have the original Q, and it is definitely "stealthy". Wonderful cameras; I have the body, + 2 lenses, + extra battery in a soft case appx 9"x11"x2.5"! Smaller than my purse!

08-18-2016, 07:53 AM   #5

Original Poster
Hi Carol,

I am interested in shooting video.I dont want a great hunking video camera or even a DLSR sized camera out on the streets.

I have purchased several Cine Nikkor "D" mount lenses for the the Q-S1. Just have to actually get the Q-S1 now. I am interested to see how the cine nikkor's fair on the Q-S1. The cine nikkors are around 50 years old now. I got some New Old Stock nikkors. Very happy to have those lenses.

Regards

NK
08-18-2016, 08:05 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome from Chicago!

I like the Q with the 01 lens, it's a pseudo-rangefinder.
08-18-2016, 08:13 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
Welcome from Chicago!

I like the Q with the 01 lens, it's a pseudo-rangefinder.
Hey TER-OR !

Thanks for the welcome.

I am intrigued by this little camera. Got some sweet little D mount lenses for it now. Will be interesting to see what the video can do. I cant find much on the web anywhere about anyone doing much video work with it. I know better footage is obtainable from higher class cameras. But thing is, the footage you can actually get and then get back home without an incident is better then the footage you cant actually get because your camera got stolen and/or you got mugged.

I am obsessed with small and light. The Q-S1 seems to be the smallest ! So thats where i am headed right now. Not sure how it will all pan out though. Only one way to find out .

Regards

NK
08-18-2016, 08:15 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hi NedKelly Welcome from a nearly neighbour in Namibia. Not a lot Pentaxes around or available, but this forum is just a great, friendly and knowledgeable place. I would like to see the Q shots. It looks like a very interesting system

08-18-2016, 08:21 AM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Basie Quote
Hi NedKelly Welcome from a nearly neighbour in Namibia. Not a lot Pentaxes around or available, but this forum is just a great, friendly and knowledgeable place. I would like to see the Q shots. It looks like a very interesting system
Hey Basie,

I am over in Zambia. Love namib though. Wonderful place. Excellent roads !!!

Per chance, you didnt work in Swaziland 6 or 7 years ago did you? (up in the mountains)

Regards

NK
08-18-2016, 09:29 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have used the Q for video, but in the summer I overheated it. I was trying to get some footage of hummingbirds fighting, they're very amusing and truculent. I have also done video in the garden with lots of bees. Pretty good, though I certainly am not doing very sophisticated video.
08-18-2016, 01:12 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Hi Nedkelly

Not me. Been here for 25 years, and counting. But I will have to go there to look at the mountains
08-18-2016, 02:08 PM   #12
Moderator PEG Judges

Welcome aboard, if go round wearing the metal mask (Mick Jagger style)... you could get yourself into a heap of trouble there.
08-18-2016, 05:31 PM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Basie Quote
Hi Nedkelly

Not me. Been here for 25 years, and counting. But I will have to go there to look at the mountains
Hi Basie,

Well of course i guess there must be more then one Basie in Africa. But in 20 years here this is only the second time i have come across the name Basie.

I did a lot of work down there in Swazi with a guy named Basie. Who knows.....its a small world, it could have been you.

You are right abut Pentax in Africa....... its just not around. I am importing all my gear.

NK

---------- Post added 08-18-16 at 05:32 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Welcome aboard, if go round wearing the metal mask (Mick Jagger style)... you could get yourself into a heap of trouble there.
Hi Kerrowdown,

I dont even need to wear a mask ...... i am always in a heap of trouble...

NK
08-18-2016, 10:07 PM   #14
pjv
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by NedKelly Quote
(from down under but live in Africa now)

Hi Nedkelly. Welcome to the forums mate. You are certainly a long way from home !!! Looking forward to seeing some of your photographs. Good to have you on board.
08-19-2016, 02:23 AM   #15

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pjv Quote
Hi Nedkelly. Welcome to the forums mate. You are certainly a long way from home !!! Looking forward to seeing some of your photographs. Good to have you on board.
Thanks pjv.

Nice to be here. looking forward to my Pentax misadventures.