Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-13-2007, 07:31 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ship photographer from Hull, Yorkshire

Hi,

I'm Mick. I am 32 years of age and hail from Hull in East Yorkshire, UK. God's own county.

I work in the security industry here, doing a mixture of Door Supervision (Pub/Club Bouncer!), Site Security, Mobile Security as well as alarm monitoring, Keyholding, CCTV monitoring and whatever eles may come my way.

Way back in 1988/89 - can't remember exactly now - I got my first camera, a Praktica BCA and started out on this crazy photographic journey. I soon upgraded to a fully manual BC1.

My first foray into Pentax-K stuff was when I got a Ricoh KR-10M in 1991/92. I used that with some no-name lenses until the end of the 90's when the camera broke.

My first digital camera came in 2001 in the guise of a Minolta DiMage 7. For some reason I never really got to grips with that one. Posisbly because of it's amazing appetite for batteries that I could never compete with.

Because of a shortage of hours at work I took up 35mm photogrpahy again early last year (2006) and got another KR-10M. I soon found myself with GAS and now own numerous camera bodies.

At the moment I use the following:

Pentax P30 & P30t
Pentax *ist (film)
Ricoh XR-P
Ricoh XR-20sp

A nice collection of SMC-M lenses (28/2.8 - 35/2.8 - 40/2.8 - 50/1.4 - 50/2.0 - 100/2.8 - 135-3.5), a Kiron 105/2.8 Macro, Pentax 50/4 K, Zenitar 16mm, Vivitar 500/8 Solid Cat, Chinon 300/5.6 Cat.

Samsung GX-1L digital (clone of *ist DL2)
For this I have the kit lenses from Schneider-Kreuznach and a Sigma 50-500mm 'Bigma'

Recently, with the acquisition of the Sigma I've taken to using a tripod for almost all of my shots. To this end I use a Manfrotto 055 Pro B and 804RC2 head. I must admit that it makes a real difference and now I wouldn't be without a tripod.

02-14-2007, 08:54 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Wow, that's a lot of gear!! Welcome to the forum, looking forward to seeing some of your ship pictures.
02-14-2007, 06:37 PM   #3

Original Poster
Xfraser,

No problems. Where would be the best place to post them?
I have put some in the User Galleries>Night Section already.
02-14-2007, 07:38 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Whoa! I'd say your collection of lenses is just about as large as a few users here. Welcome!

02-15-2007, 01:56 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Alvin Quote
Whoa! I'd say your collection of lenses is just about as large as a few users here. Welcome!

Hehehe LBA has gotten to me bad.

Add in more than a few M42 lenses as well (favourite of which is a 135mm Meyer-Optic Orestor in Zebra finish). A few other K-mount zooms kicking around the place as well a number of Chinon/Rikenon primes.

I really must sort them out an bung 'em back on eBay where most of them started out. Hell, I even have a 1959 FED-2 Rangefinder from the FSU.
02-15-2007, 03:42 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Trawlerman Quote
Ricoh XR-P
yay a fellow XR-P shooter

Was beginning to think i was the only person around who used one (thats right i still use it). Just love that huge viewfinder and how wide my 17mm is on it

Would like to see some of your ship photos too, being a bit of a ship buff myself.

take care and enjoy your stay on the forums.

EDIT: I saw the link to your gallery after i posted. I absolutely love the 2 series you have of the little liner Funchal. She is one of my favourite out of the smaller cruise ships and i would love to sail on her once. Great photos mate.

Last edited by -spam-; 02-15-2007 at 03:48 AM.
02-15-2007, 09:09 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Trawlerman Quote
Xfraser,

No problems. Where would be the best place to post them?
I have put some in the User Galleries>Night Section already.
The post your pictures thread will probably get the most views, but the gallery is good too