Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-29-2016, 08:08 AM   #1

Hello all from Florida

Hello guys, I'm new to this site, I've had my pentax KR for a bit now, I bought it so I could start taking pictures of my own work (automotive) instead of depending on other people for pictures. Over the past few months I've grown to love my camera, and have gotten mildly proficient with my kit lens! The main reason I joined was to get some pointers on how to take the next step in my automotive photography; I think I'm looking to upgrade my kit lens however, I am not entirely sure on what lenses to look for.

Mostly I do:
Stationary vehicles
Interior pictures
Close range outdoor shots

I have been thinking about picking up a pair of 28mm and 50mm lenses, if anyone has any recommendations for other lenses/a way to more hone my skills with the kit lense, please let me know!

08-29-2016, 08:56 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forums. I have a 16-85 zoom for my wide angle and slight telephoto needs. The 24-70 F2.8 would give you more light, or as you mentioned some prime lenses would help. I would assume a Pentax 28 mm F2.8 would be valuable if you do not need the zoom, in that it gives you a nice wide angle for cars/building interior and gives you plenty of light.
08-29-2016, 12:15 PM   #3
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Welcome, sounds like you need something wide and fast, but there is plenty of good information in the lens sections.

Pentax Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

Pentax Lenses by Sigma, Tamron, Zeiss, and more - Reviews and Specification Database - Pentax Lens Review Database
08-29-2016, 03:58 PM   #4
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by thisisdalton Quote
Hello all from Florida
Hi thisisdalton. Welcome to the Pentax forums. The previous posts have given some excellent advice and resources for you to track down. This site is great like that. Any help you may need is only a question away. Good to have you here.

08-31-2016, 02:13 AM   #5
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to the forums - nice to have you with us!

@Kerrowdown has pointed you in the right direction... Wide (to maximise field of view) and fast (large maximum aperture to capture as much light as possible) seems ideal for you.

It would be worth going back through the photos you've taken to see what focal lengths you tend to use most. However, I think something like the Pentax 16-50 f/2.8, Tamron or Sigma 17-50 f/2.8 would work well for you.