Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-30-2016, 06:55 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Howdy all & Help please with K70 MUP

Hello all! Nice to be here at such a helpful and informative place. I'm on the road shooting right now but will post a few pics when I get to home base.

I'm a greenhorn when it comes to Pentax DSLRs, but no stranger to photography. My past cameras include: a pinhole I made and developed film from at age 3, a Speed Graphlex, many cameras in various formats including 128, 134, 120, 620, 21/4, 4x5, and 35. First SLR was a Spotmatic. Present cameras include Pentax K70 I just received from Adorama via Amazon (tho I usually patronize B&H), Fuji Finepix S1 superzoom (love it!), Olympus TG2. My wife still has her K1000.

Most of my shooting is from a kayak which is why I use weatherized gear, although not yet with the K70.

My help Q is below. I have searched and found some helpful tidbits, but nothing specific about this issue with the K70 (v1.1).

Problem: I entered MUP mode, shot a few test frames and now can't get out of it. I need shake reduction because virtually all my shooting is handheld from the tippy little boat and MUP disables shake. Have tried the following:

1) All UserGuide instructions.
2) Reboot several times.
3) Battery pulls
4) All resets.
5) Lens dis- and remount (DA 55-30)
6) Inspect and clean contacts.

Went to bed last night with battery in and camera off, awoke this AM and all was fine. Went back into MUP and issue repeated and now can't out again.

Am still within 30 day period so am returning the camera and may go to another brand. I know every brand has issues and this may be a bad apple, we'll see. I need reliability when I'm on assignments which involve composing music and sound design for outdoor adventure clients and I use the still images for reference, all on location as my camper van is a rolling sound studio. . Fuji has never failed me since it came out.

I really like the K70 for lots of reasons. Not so much the Pentax kit lenses I've tried. I shoot wildlife and spend significant bucks traveling to shoots and can't be stuck with buggy gear, despite backups.

First shots from K70 are attached. I really like this beast and hope I can rely on a K70 someday, so any help will be hugely appreciated. TIA!!!

Attached Images

08-30-2016, 07:20 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by yakshooter Quote
I entered MUP mode, shot a few test frames and now can't get out of it.
I do not have a K-70 but on all previous Pentax cameras I have owned MUP was a shooting mode. To get out of it, just change the shooting mode to single shot, or any other shooting mode. Again, no K-70 here, but shooting mode menu has always been arrow up on the 4-way pad.

If I am missing something do post back and someone else may be able to help.
08-30-2016, 07:34 AM   #3
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
I do not have a K-70 but on all previous Pentax cameras I have owned MUP was a shooting mode. To get out of it, just change the shooting mode to single shot, or any other shooting mode. Again, no K-70 here, but shooting mode menu has always been arrow up on the 4-way pad.

What he said ^ ^ ^

Change back to single shot. Shooting modes are retained through a power cycle (on/off). That is why you removing the batteries and so on made no difference.

Steve
08-30-2016, 08:06 AM   #4
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
Good grief that was quick... hopefully that's your issue resolved already and welcome to the forum.

Last edited by Kerrowdown; 08-30-2016 at 11:20 AM.
08-30-2016, 11:11 AM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

So what exactly happens when you try to change the drive mode?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

08-30-2016, 09:29 PM   #6
pjv
Eager To Learn

Photos: Gallery
Hi yakshooter. Welcome to the Pentax forums. The others seem to have your " MUP " issue in hand, so I will just say hello, and good to have you here.

PS. Good 1st photographs too !!!
08-31-2016, 01:54 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to the forums - good to have you with us, and congratulations on your K-70. It seems like others have you covered for advice, so I won't jump in just now
09-01-2016, 10:06 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote

Thanks for the reply jatrax. Yes, you'd think so, once in a while that works, usually not. Below I update the issue for more detail

---------- Post added 09-01-16 at 11:10 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
What he said ^ ^ ^

Change back to single shot. Shooting modes are retained through a power cycle (on/off). That is why you removing the batteries and so on made no difference.

Steve
Thanks Steve for the reply. you'd think *all* parameters would carry through power cycles, battery pulls.The camera is definitely schmozzled More detail below.

---------- Post added 09-01-16 at 11:14 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Good grief that was quick... hopefully that's your issue resolved already and welcome to the forum.
Thanks Kerrowdow. Thanks for the welcome. Unfortunately the issue was not resolved, I'll post a complete summary of why that K70 was returned.

09-01-2016, 11:01 PM   #9
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by yakshooter Quote
Thanks Steve for the reply. you'd think *all* parameters would carry through power cycles, battery pulls.The camera is definitely schmozzled More detail below.
Sorry the camera prematurely failed. The settings that carry over across power cycles are user settable (user manual p113). I specifically exclude drive mode. Saved user modes are more useful if you need a particular mix of features across power cycles.

Steve