Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-30-2016, 11:52 PM   #1

Hi All New to the Digital World and bought a second hand Pentax K100D

Hi all,

I'm a totally begginer with no photo expertise what so ever. I decided to buy a DSLR but thought just to start I purchased a second hand Pentax K100D just to try and see if I am any good and enjoy it enough to invest more in a up todate HD camera of course a Penatx.

First big boo boo was not having any idea on memory cards and thought to buy a massive 120Gig SDHX card to eventually discover my camera only takes maximum 32Gig SDHC cards, so I'm learning by mistakes.

Anyway I hope you all have great advise for me aas I know nothing really other than my one lens which was standard can be manual or Auto Focus. I do however have a second lens, sorry the name has slipped my mind but it's quite a long lens and no Automatic feature on this I will post the name and model of the lens as I'm hoping to learn more about it as it has great zooming features but I have no understanding of ISO or what the lens is good for. I look forward to talking on this forum with you all and excited about using my new camera.

08-31-2016, 12:30 AM   #2
pjv
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Rocco Calrisian Quote
Hi All New to the Digital World and bought a second hand Pentax K100D

Hi Rocco. Welcome to the Pentax forums mate. My suggestion to you would be to slow down a bit !!! If you have the manual for the K100D, read it. If you don't have the manual, download it. You might get very frustrated jumping in the deep end. Research here on the forums, and ask questions. Help is only a question away. Good to have you here.
08-31-2016, 01:46 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome, Rocco

I agree with Peter... It's easy to get frustrated if you don't yet know your way around the camera, its features / specifications etc., and reading the manual is an essential first step.

In case you don't have a copy, you can download it here: http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/support/man-pdf/k100d.pdf

Read the manual, and try out all of the different functions, reviewing the pictures you take along the way. Also, read some online articles on the fundamentals. "Cambridge in Colour" is a very good website for learning about DSLRs and photography in general. I'd recommend the following article to get you started: Camera Exposure: Aperture, ISO & Shutter Speed

Good luck, and let us know how you get on
08-31-2016, 03:08 AM   #4

Hi Rocco, my first digital SLR was a K-100D Super. The 100D series is an excellent starting point - just manage your expectations. The IQ at ISO 800 and below is terrific. JPEG quality is quite good. AF is a touch slow compared to more recent models but pre-focusing and using quick-shift if needed will resolve this. The 100D is a superb learning tool. I found the transition to a K-5II to be smooth as a result. Just remember the 100D is great for screw-drive lenses but doesn't support SDM. The support for SDM came with the later 100D Super. Enjoy your new photographic journey.

08-31-2016, 05:24 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As a practical matter you need to search the site for how to use a manual lens with Pentax it will explain the use of green button of depth of field preview methods.

My first dslr was the k100d super. I still own it. Fun camera. I took it to Paris with me years ago. The scene modes are a good guide when learning but so is just putting the camera in Av or M and tinkering.
08-31-2016, 11:12 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome from Chicago!
You'll have fun learning.

Remember, there's no such thing as a bad picture, just a bad operator!
We're here to help.
08-31-2016, 11:25 AM   #7
Moderator PEG Judges

Welcome aboard, you've plenty of time to spend money, learn with what you have and go forward from there.
08-31-2016, 11:30 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
Remember, there's no such thing as a bad picture, just a bad operator!
Something I remind myself of all-too-regularly!!

08-31-2016, 03:25 PM   #9

Original Poster
Thank you all for such lovely welcoming thought's and ideas. Will take it all onboard
09-01-2016, 05:05 PM   #10
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Welcome to the community! You will find many lovely and supportive people on the forums. Feel free to ask any questions you have, and someone is sure to respond soon after. Have fun with you new camera! Photography is amazing, and I am very happy to have ended up with a Pentax.
09-01-2016, 06:37 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Hi Rocco,

Signing up for a photography course ... not an online one, but one with a real person showing you on your own camera the settings to do something, and then putting principles into practice with immediate feeback amongst peers ... would be a good idea.

Once you've got the basics, Youtube tutorials or this forum become fantastic resources for specifics.

Best of luck shooting!
09-01-2016, 08:53 PM - 1 Like   #12
Site Supporter

If you could describe the specific lenses you have in detail, someone might suggest which would be easiest to use with your K100D. My first Pentax dslr was a K110D, a very similar model. Since I had experience using manual film cameras, the ISO and other settings were not a mystery to me, but you might have a lens that will let you take advantage of the K100D's automatic features, which could make some of the learning curve easier for you.
09-01-2016, 09:09 PM - 1 Like   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Signing up for a photography course ... not an online one, but one with a real person showing you on your own camera the settings to do something, and then putting principles into practice with immediate feeback amongst peers ... would be a good idea.
Also, try joining a local camera club if available. One of the best (and social) ways of learning
09-02-2016, 07:54 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Welcome! I'll chime in my agreement with others regarding the K100D. It's a great camera to start off with but go slowly. Master the basics before you go gear crazy. As you get more familiar with your camera and the lens(es) you have, you'll be better able to determine what pieces you'll want to add. If you're not careful, it's easy to blow a lot of cash on stuff you'll seldom, if ever use. The lens and camera reviews on this forum are excellent resources for researching future purchases. They're written by members and based on real world experiences. I have a K100D that I use these days primarily for photographing items to sell on that well known auction site, a purpose for which it is more than adequate, but that's only the tip of the proverbial iceberg in terms of its capabilities. Enjoy the adventure and post some of your shots when you get a chance.
09-04-2016, 12:28 AM   #15
Site Supporter

G'day mate and welcome to the forum