Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-06-2016, 07:42 PM - 2 Likes   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Purchasing K-50, and retiring istDL - is that so wrong?

Hi everyone! I am in the process of acquiring a used K50. Due to medical concerns, my istDL has been gathering dust for quite some time, but when I pulled it out and fired it up after years of sitting on the shelf, I remembered what a joy it had been to use - the crisp beautiful pictures, the joys of working in raw, the 200mm lens that got me in the fray of a 4 year old's soccer game - good times! Unfortunately, as the years passed, my health declined, the camera and lenses became heavy, and I shuffled it off into a case on the shelf. Slowly, over the course of several years, I had relegated myself to *gasp* my camera phone, and those were not very artistic, tended to be extremely yellow, and just are not in keeping with the kind of pics I was able to shoot when my kids and dogs were younger. SO, having had a life altering surgery that renewed my energy, negated much of my pain, I'm ready to move up and renew, relearn and reclaim my passion - taking pictures of my girl's latest passion - horses (and other stuff). I can't say I was ever very effective with the 200mm, but now that the little ones are older, I have more time to devote to learning how it works and tweeking what I do. I am excited to be here. Fingers crossed the camera I have on the line will work out!!

09-06-2016, 08:02 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome aboard! If you have any questions about your new camera, don't hesitate to ask away If you enjoyed the DL, you'll love the K-50 as it's a massive step forward technologically.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

09-06-2016, 08:08 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Welcome aboard! If you have any questions about your new camera, don't hesitate to ask away If you enjoyed the DL, you'll love the K-50 as it's a massive step forward technologically.
Thank you! Yeah, I know it's a huge move. When I realized how many more megapixels my phone camera had over the DL, it became a quest to move up as best I could without breaking the bank. Otherwise, even if this deal falls through, I will continue to use the DL until I find another K50 that is cost effective. I know I will have questions.
09-06-2016, 08:21 PM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

I also recently purchased a K-50. I am very happy with the camera. I'm sure you will be as well and hope your deal works out as you hope.

09-06-2016, 08:24 PM - 1 Like   #5
mee
Site Supporter

Optionally, you might want to consider a K-S1. They are slightly smaller and lighter than the K-50 but have a higher res sensor. You miss out on weather sealing though with the K-S1, but I haven't read any aperture motor issues with it either.
09-06-2016, 08:40 PM - 1 Like   #6
KDD
Veteran Member

Welcome Pentax Forums.
I now have my K-50 and K-70. I had K10d died and K-7 retire.
09-06-2016, 08:45 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Optionally, you might want to consider a K-S1. They are slightly smaller and lighter than the K-50 but have a higher res sensor. You miss out on weather sealing though with the K-S1, but I haven't read any aperture motor issues with it either.
We will see how it goes tomorrow. Meeting with the present owner. I was back and forth between the S1 and the K50. Could have went either way - anything being a huge step forward from the DL. This is what was local and in cost range. But, in honesty, I am excited about the idea of "filming" my girl when she gets back on her horse after a 6 month hiatus while she did groundwork and built up their relationship. If I am correct, the S1 doesn't film, or at least not to the specs of the K50, but I could be wrong.
09-06-2016, 10:02 PM   #8
pjv
Eager To Learn

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Shock2DC Quote
I have more time to devote to learning how it works and tweeking what I do.
Hi Shock2DC. Welcome to the Pentax forums. I wish that I had more time for my photography, you are lucky !!! Very good 1st photograph, hope to see some more from you on the forums soon. Good to have you here.

Last edited by pjv; 09-06-2016 at 10:09 PM.
09-06-2016, 10:32 PM   #9
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum and welcome back to photography.
09-07-2016, 02:46 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

Hello and welcome to the forums - great to have you with us Very pleased to hear your operation has given you back some additional quality of life, and that you'll be picking up a DSLR once more... With your girl's interest in horses, I'm sure there'll be lots of photo opportunities
09-07-2016, 05:21 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

If weight is an issue, think about the pancakes. 70mm is probably plenty of reach for a lot of equestrian events in stadiums, and the 21 is just pure fun to use.

Welcome to the clubhouse, and back to the hobby!
09-07-2016, 05:52 AM   #12
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pjv Quote
Hi Shock2DC. Welcome to the Pentax forums. I wish that I had more time for my photography, you are lucky !!! Very good 1st photograph, hope to see some more from you on the forums soon. Good to have you here.
That's actually using my istDL which I dusted off for a seminar a couple weeks ago. But, like I said, it was the first time I had used it in probably five years or more. I forgot how much I loved the quality of that camera when the kids were little. It took some crazy, amazing shots that you just couldn't get with a point and shoot.

---------- Post added 09-07-16 at 05:54 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
If weight is an issue, think about the pancakes. 70mm is probably plenty of reach for a lot of equestrian events in stadiums, and the 21 is just pure fun to use.

Welcome to the clubhouse, and back to the hobby!
Will look into that. Now I know what to ask for at Christmas. Thank you.
09-07-2016, 06:13 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter

The *istDL is not at all a bad camera, and I would still be using mine if it hadn't suddenly and irrevocably died on me.

It is also one of Pentax's smallest DSLRs ever, and I second what others have said about the "Limited" prime lenses; if their focal lengths are what suits you, they are a perfect fit for your camera (particularly the tiny, tiny 40mm's - the XS is practically bodycap-sized, and from what I hear it gives up very little in quality to its slightly larger "Limited" cousin. You can set that in full auto and shoot one-handed if you really have to. The one exception is the 20-40 Limited Zoom, for which the *istDL lacks AF support. Fear not; the K-50 will fix that problem.

Keep the *istDL in service, though; you may find your horsey girl wanting to be behind the viewfinder one day, and in some ways I couldn't think of a better starter camera.
09-07-2016, 06:16 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Welcome!
I upgraded my DL for a K-500 (similar to K-50) a few years ago and its a quantum leap! Obviously, there's the better sensor, but also a lot of things that makes life much easier. Things like stabilisation, liveview, sensor cleaning, in-body RAW development... And something as basic as being able to save the pictures as both RAW and JPG instead of one or the other. Although I first planned to keep the DL as a backup camera, I sold it a few weeks after making the upgrade since there was no way I would ever go back to shoot with it.
09-07-2016, 07:02 AM - 1 Like   #15
csa
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Shock2DC Quote
Hi everyone! I am in the process of acquiring a used K50. Due to medical concerns, my istDL has been gathering dust for quite some time, but when I pulled it out and fired it up after years of sitting on the shelf, I remembered what a joy it had been to use - the crisp beautiful pictures, the joys of working in raw, the 200mm lens that got me in the fray of a 4 year old's soccer game - good times! Unfortunately, as the years passed, my health declined, the camera and lenses became heavy, and I shuffled it off into a case on the shelf. Slowly, over the course of several years, I had relegated myself to *gasp* my camera phone, and those were not very artistic, tended to be extremely yellow, and just are not in keeping with the kind of pics I was able to shoot when my kids and dogs were younger. SO, having had a life altering surgery that renewed my energy, negated much of my pain, I'm ready to move up and renew, relearn and reclaim my passion - taking pictures of my girl's latest passion - horses (and other stuff). I can't say I was ever very effective with the 200mm, but now that the little ones are older, I have more time to devote to learning how it works and tweeking what I do. I am excited to be here. Fingers crossed the camera I have on the line will work out!!

Welcome to the Forums! Glad to have you here!

Don't forget to post TODAY, in the thread to have a chance to win a spanking new K50!

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/16-pentax-news-rumors/329227-pf-10th-anni...-giveaway.html