Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-08-2016, 02:59 AM   #1

Film only,,, for the time being!

Hi all, I'm a proud owner of a Vintage Pentax PC35AF-M 35mm film camera and a Pentax ME film camera. Film has always been my first love but it's proving more and more difficult to find film supplies and have it processed, so I guess it's time to say hello to the DSLR world, soon.

09-08-2016, 03:40 AM   #2
pjv
Eager To Learn

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by shaneb Quote
Film only,,, for the time being!
Hi Shane. Welcome to the Pentax forums mate. Many members here still " film " it, so you are in good company !! When you decide to leave your 1st love behind and go digital, lots of help here if you need it. Good to have you here.
09-08-2016, 03:52 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forums and good luck with your transition to digital... but for the love of God, hang on to your K mount lenses: they can all still be made to work! Especially if you find a great "body only" deal on something you decide you really like, simply pull a lens off your ME and you will be ready to rock.

I thought film was dead in 2010 and I turned out to be dead wrong, so keep at it as long as you can. The ME is a great camera.

BTW I never had problems finding either a same day developing lab or film in the CBD of either Sydney or Melbourne as recently as this March just past; Perth must be an odd man out!
09-08-2016, 08:25 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to the forums, Shane - glad you could join us As Peter says, there are plenty of film photographers here, so you won't be short of company

09-08-2016, 08:41 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I have actually started shooting more film than digital.
09-08-2016, 10:38 PM   #6

Original Poster
Yes Perth is a bit of a backwater in some ways. Oh to be back in Sydney!
09-09-2016, 04:22 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

Interestingly, Perth was where I bought myself a P3 in a second hand store (or pawnshop; I forget) because I wanted to get back to photographic roots (I chose it because they did not have a K1000 and it seemed the next nearest thing). Sadly it was defective, but they took it back without complaint and gave me a P50T in its place. I think that laid the foundations for me becoming a full-time Pentaxian, as I ended up trading in my autofocusing, auto-winding Minolta film camera within a year and running entirely with the P50 till I went digital.
09-09-2016, 08:40 AM   #8
Site Supporter

Since Pentax film slrs and Pentax digital slrs can share lenses, it doesn't have to be Either/Or. And then there are the compatible cousin slrs, m42 screw mount and K-mounts. I just got a Soviet-era Zenit-B slr with a Helios 44-2 f2/58mm m42 mount lens. Right now I'm shooting the Helios lens on my Pentax K10D dslr, and I'm about to put my Super Takumar f1.8 55mm lens on the Zenit-B as I finish out the first roll of film I'm shooting in it. It's the best of both worlds!

09-09-2016, 04:12 PM   #9
Site Supporter

G'day mate and welcome to the forum
09-09-2016, 04:24 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by goatsNdonkey Quote
Since Pentax film slrs and Pentax digital slrs can share lenses
To a point, LOL.

(FTR: All the K-mount film cameras can use K, M, A, F, and FA series lenses, though the manual focus capabilities of the F and FA lenses can be variable and at times capricious. Starting from the Program A/Super Program, many but not all Pentax film cameras had at least a P mode that could handle FA-J, DA and D-FA lenses, almost all of which lack an aperture ring - I think the D-FA 50mm Macro is the one exception. But the ME, sadly, requires a lens with an aperture ring - Pentax's default for those lenses that don't have one is to be stopped down all the way on cameras that don't have aperture contacts on the mount.)
09-09-2016, 06:00 PM   #11
Site Supporter

There are some excellent mail order film retailers and photo labs.
We have some helpful members from Australia in our PF film forums.
Please be sure to visit us there. Film is definitely not dead!

Chris
09-09-2016, 10:30 PM   #12
Site Supporter

check out Michaels Photography > Memory Cards & Film > Roll Film - michaels camera video digital

must be somewhere in Perth that does C41 process, can be fun to do your own black and white film process.

Film Processing services in Perth Australia

Camera House - Perth
09-10-2016, 10:19 AM   #13
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by beachgardener Quote
can be fun to do your own black and white film process
This is what I would recommend - easy, cheap(er) and enjoyable!
09-29-2016, 04:30 AM   #14
Moderator PEG Judges

Welcome, I took that leap of faith back in 2008 and haven't been too badly affected... yet.