Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-09-2016, 12:05 PM   #1
Veteran Member

From New Zealand.

Hi, I am 64, and have been a keen photographer for many years. I have never owned a DSLR camera but have a 2nd hand K100d on its' way. This came about from me buying a new Nikon bridge camera a few months ago (P610) when I had gone out looking for an entry level DSLR. As landscapes, birds and 'way off' thingy's seemed to be my main subjects, I got seduced by the super zoom aspect and bought the Nikon.

It is a great camera but I also enjoy night photography and I've had this mental block in my head ever since, that I should have gone for the larger sensor. The 1.2/3 sensor just doesn't cut it for low light photos. The K100d is an old model but it fits the bill in a number of ways. As a 2nd camera I got away with getting it without breaking the bank and if it is as good as the early reviews paint it, I can learn from, then upgrade it. Also I understand that lenses from earlier cameras will fit the K100d. Looking on the NZ Trade Me site, there are a number of pentax cameras within the Film Camera sub section that have nice lens' and the money asked is a fraction of the $'s being asked for newer stand alone lenses from the digital accessory section.

I will probably ask some dumb questions from time to time so bear with me.

09-09-2016, 12:21 PM   #2
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Hello and welcome to the forums - glad to have you with us

I think you're doing the right thing by starting off with an inexpensive, older DSLR. The newer models have more bells and whistles, better image quality and much-improved high ISO performance (which would be useful for your night photography) - however, you can learn the ropes with the K100D and, if you enjoy it, look to upgrade later.

You're quite correct that older Pentax K-mount lenses (and even earlier M42-mount lenses with an appropriate adapter) can be used on the K100D and all other Pentax DSLRs.

We have an active Marketplace here on the forums where you can often find some very good deals on excellent lenses (and cameras, if and when you decide to step up a notch or two). Many of the members selling on the Marketplace have a lot of background on these forums, and you'll usually find that descriptions of equipment for sale are a lot more accurate and honest than those on auction sites etc.

Ask all the questions you like. There's almost always someone online who can help - the forums are very active
09-09-2016, 12:46 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Hello and welcome to the forums - glad to have you with us

I think you're doing the right thing by starting off with an inexpensive, older DSLR. The newer models have more bells and whistles, better image quality and much-improved high ISO performance (which would be useful for your night photography) - however, you can learn the ropes with the K100D and, if you enjoy it, look to upgrade later.

You're quite correct that older Pentax K-mount lenses (and even earlier M42-mount lenses with an appropriate adapter) can be used on the K100D and all other Pentax DSLRs.

We have an active Marketplace here on the forums where you can often find some very good deals on excellent lenses (and cameras, if and when you decide to step up a notch or two). Many of the members selling on the Marketplace have a lot of background on these forums, and you'll usually find that descriptions of equipment for sale are a lot more accurate and honest than those on auction sites etc.

Ask all the questions you like. There's almost always someone online who can help - the forums are very active
Thanks Mike,
09-09-2016, 01:47 PM   #4
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by awa355 Quote
From New Zealand.
Hi awa355. Welcome to the Pentax forums and Pentax equipment mate. Very wise of you to start with a less advanced model as the " whiz bang " bodies can be quite daunting !!! The resources ( databases and member knowledge ) are enormous here, and as Mike said, there is usually somebody online who can help out. Hope to see some of your photographs after you have settled in. Good to have you here.

09-09-2016, 03:34 PM   #5
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by awa355 Quote
I will probably ask some dumb questions from time to time so bear with me.
G'day and welcome to the forums. Un Zud is a wonderful country and somewhat of a photographer's mecca. I did some work around Taupo and in the northern area of the South Island and would love to get back over the ditch someday.

There's plenty of info and helpful people around here, so you should find answers to your questions, even if it's not the answer you wanted to hear.

Don't forget too: the only dumb question is the one you don't ask.

Hooroo mate,

Tas
09-09-2016, 04:10 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

G'day mate and welcome to the forum
09-29-2016, 04:25 AM   #7
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Welcome to the forum, enjoy both the forum and your photography.