Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-18-2016, 09:02 AM   #1

Hello from a 35mm newbie

Hey all. Glad to have found this group. I am a 45 year old woman from NC. I recently (like yesterday) purchased a box of various Pentax cameras and lenses at an estate sale for $40. I have found at least one that is working. It is a Super Program. I am sure the others will work as well but still sorting through them.

So I am looking for any help or suggestions for books, websites, etc. that can teach me the basics of a SLR camera. Of course now that everyone is into digital it is harder for me to find.

Thanks in advance. I look forward to learning from everyone!

09-18-2016, 09:38 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Carl Shipman's How to Select & Use Pentax SLR Cameras was the one I had.

How to Select & Use Pentax SLR Cameras: A Complete Handbook For SF1N - SF10 - P3N - LX - K1000: Carl Shipman: 9780895867605: Amazon.com: Books

The manuals and literature are available in PDF form here.

PENTAX MANUALS
09-18-2016, 10:16 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
After learning the camera controls, pretty simple with older SLRs, you'll do well to learn about exposure and how to control it. Search "understanding exposure" and you'll find plenty of websites, plus a well-regarded book of that name by Peterson.

Enjoy your new cameras, sounds like you made a great buy.
09-18-2016, 10:19 AM   #4

Photos: Albums
Hi jmischlersw
There are plenty of us film people here if you have any questions.
I have a dozen old Pentax from flea markets and thrift stores. Most still work as perfectly as new fifty years ago. Daughter is now getting tuned up on shooting and developing with an SV.

09-18-2016, 03:20 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Carl Shipman's How to Select & Use Pentax SLR Cameras was the one I had.

How to Select & Use Pentax SLR Cameras: A Complete Handbook For SF1N - SF10 - P3N - LX - K1000: Carl Shipman: 9780895867605: Amazon.com: Books

The manuals and literature are available in PDF form here.

PENTAX MANUALS
Thank you.

Boriscleto: I will take a look at it here in a second. Thanks for the suggestion.

Baro-nite: Thanks for the suggestion of the search. I plan to take a look.

Clicksworth: We got a few others but I can't get them to take a "picture." Have to try some new batteries. Although, the batteries worked in another one.
09-18-2016, 06:45 PM   #6
Site Supporter

The film photography primer I always recommend is Henry Horenstein's Black & White Photography.
It teaches all the basics of film photography - black & white and color - in a relaxed, easy-to-understand style.

If you cannot locate an affordable copy send me a private message with your mailing address.
I have an extra copy I will send as a gift - my way of encouraging another film photographer!

Chris
09-19-2016, 12:48 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

Hello and welcome - great to have you with us. You've already received some great advice, so I won't add anything at this stage. Let us know how you progress?
09-19-2016, 03:10 AM   #8
pjv
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi and welcome to the Pentax forums. I have not " filmed " it since last century, so I won't be much help !!! Some excellent advice already given, so I will just finish off with the welcome, and it is good to have you here.

09-19-2016, 03:37 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Welcome to the forums and to Pentax. There are still plenty of film shooters on this forum so feel free to post any questions you have.

What are the other cameras and lenses in your box?
09-30-2016, 11:18 AM   #10
Moderator PEG Judges

Welcome aboard, good luck with getting more of your box of goodies operational, enjoy your photography the Pentax way.
09-30-2016, 12:02 PM   #11
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the Pentax Forums!

I also own a Super Program and it is a nice camera. One thing that I noted in the comments above is that there is no mention of the light seals. Your camera was made with foam seals around the film door as well as a foam bumper for the mirror. Unless the camera has been recently maintained, both have likely deteriorated with age. The result is potential for light leaks for the door seals. Failed mirror bumper is a little more complex. If the material has gone crumbly, chunks can end up in the shutter mechanism. If the foam has gone gooey, the goo may be flung onto the focus screen and/or mirror where removal is difficult.

Foam replacement is part of a normal CLA (Clean, Lube, Adjust) maintenance. Many users on this site recommend CLA by Eric Hendricson in Tennessee. He will do the task at reasonable cost with the camera being returned in amazing condition. If your camera is in very clean condition, with little evidence of use, a CLA may not be needed.

Eric Hendricson: Pentax Camera Service

Back to the foam seals...You can test the condition of the foam by touching with a toothpick or similar slender wood splint. If the material is other than resilient and "springy" and is hard, crumbly, or gooey, it should be replaced. This can be done as a do-it-yourself project though it requires appropriate replacement foams and a steady hand. I generally use the pre-cut custom kits from Jon Goodman. They are first rate and come with detailed instructions pertinent to your camera and only cost about $10 USD. Jon deals entirely by e-mail at present (jgood21967-at-aol-dot-com) and is a pleasure to deal with.

Again, welcome to the forum and happy shooting with your newly acquired gear.

Steve