Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
09-25-2016, 08:17 PM   #1

New to Pentax

Hello from North Carolina USA. I'm an amateur photographer who started with an Olympus OM10 and took up digital photography with a used Panasonic bridge camera about ten years ago. Got a G1 and a pair of zooms in 2010, a GH1 the following year, and upgraded to the GH3 two years ago. I've been invited to have a gallery show at our local art guild and decided it's time to get some extra resolution. The Pentax K3 II caught my eye, and now there's one in my house! (I tried a used Canon 50D prior to getting my GH3, but didn't like going into the menu for so many things.) Now I'm waiting for a lens to arrive this week; meanwhile I've tested the camera with my Mamiya manual 55 mm lens. I think it's a keeper.

09-25-2016, 08:27 PM - 1 Like   #2
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by dcsorrell Quote
New to Pentax
Hi Dianne. Welcome to the Pentax forums and Pentax equipment. The K-3II is a great camera to be starting with. Congratulations. Looking forward to seeing some of your photographs after you have settled in. Good to have you aboard.
09-25-2016, 11:58 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Greetings from across the Pond! You'll certainly get resolution with the K-3II, and even more so with pixel shift. Which lens will you be putting on it?
09-26-2016, 03:01 AM - 1 Like   #4
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Hello Diane, and welcome - great to have you with us

The K-3II is an outstanding camera - I'm probably a little biased, but I don't think you could have picked a better APS-C DSLR.

Hopefully you'll share some of your images with us. Looking forward to seeing what you produce

09-27-2016, 11:21 AM - 1 Like   #5

Original Poster
Thanks for the welcome ☺

The K-3II is pleasingly intuitive, for certain. I think it will make a fine creative landscape camera, especially with the various compositing tools - can barely wait to try them!

microlight - The HD 20-30 Ltd arrives tomorrow. It looked, by the specs, to be an excellent landscape and walk-around, like a sharp prime with "wiggle room."
09-27-2016, 12:29 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks for the welcome ☺

The K-3II is pleasingly intuitive, for certain. I think it will make a fine creative landscape camera, especially with the various compositing tools - can barely wait to try them!

microlight - The HD 20-30 Ltd arrives tomorrow. It looked, by the specs, to be an excellent landscape and walk-around, like a sharp prime with "wiggle room."
I love my K-3II too and use it for much the same purpose, and I have just started to think about acquiring the HD DA 20-40 Ltd. The pricing has dropped to affordable levels and it gets a huge score it the reviews. It will be interesting to hear what you make of it one day.
If I think of it as a 30mm prime with options it starts to make sense.
Welcome aboard BTW....

Last edited by Kevin B123; 09-27-2016 at 12:30 PM. Reason: Forgot the welcome....
09-28-2016, 12:03 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Diane/Kevin,
I have a 20-40 Ltd on my K-3II as a walk around and it is indeed superb, like having a bag full of primes. I also have a highly-regarded 35/2.4 plastic fantastic which I hardly ever use because the 20-40 is sharper. Build quality, DC AF, what's not to like?

09-28-2016, 01:15 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Welcome and enjoy your new equipment! The comb you have choosen is very capable and a real joy to use!
09-28-2016, 02:37 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to the forum, Dianne!
09-28-2016, 01:57 PM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by microlight Quote
Diane/Kevin,
I have a 20-40 Ltd on my K-3II as a walk around and it is indeed superb, like having a bag full of primes. I also have a highly-regarded 35/2.4 plastic fantastic which I hardly ever use because the 20-40 is sharper. Build quality, DC AF, what's not to like?
I'm told 'tis more noble to zoom with our feet, but having a moderate amount of zoom, in my experience, can make a great deal of difference in nailing a composition.

It got here today, and it's a winner!! Wow, cannot believe the amount of detail this combination gets! I'll add some photos soon, but got to learn how to do that here, first.

Wow...!!!

---------- Post added 09-28-16 at 02:01 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Kevin B123 Quote
I love my K-3II too and use it for much the same purpose, and I have just started to think about acquiring the HD DA 20-40 Ltd. The pricing has dropped to affordable levels and it gets a huge score it the reviews. It will be interesting to hear what you make of it one day.
If I think of it as a 30mm prime with options it starts to make sense.
Welcome aboard BTW....
Thanks Kevin (and everybody) ☺

Mine arrived today, and after help clearing up two silly user errors, I can say this is the sharpest camera and lens combo I have ever had. It's unbelievable! Will post photos after I learn how.
10-02-2016, 01:23 AM   #11
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
caught my eye, and now there's one in my house!
Welcome to the forum, you'd best not look at any K1 adverts then.
10-03-2016, 09:49 AM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Welcome to the forum, you'd best not look at any K1 adverts then.
👌

It was really, really tempting, and a good value for a full-frame, but the K3II fits my hands and budget better, and the resolution is sufficient for my purposes.

So, I managed to resist, this time... 😉
10-03-2016, 01:09 PM   #13
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
So, I managed to resist, this time... ��
To quote a famous line from the Borg in the Star Trek series "resistance is futile".
10-03-2016, 05:58 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Welcome to the forums. I have a K-3II also, and it is an excellent camera.
10-03-2016, 10:03 PM   #15

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
To quote a famous line from the Borg in the Star Trek series "resistance is futile".
If I had a money tree..... 😄

---------- Post added 10-03-16 at 10:10 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by C_Jones Quote
Welcome to the forums. I have a K-3II also, and it is an excellent camera.
Thanks ☺

We're supposed to have fog rolling in tomorrow night and staying through part of Wednesday morning. Should be a good photo op. 😀