Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-30-2016, 10:20 PM   #1

Filters for Pentax 645z lenses

Hi everyone,
I just have the honour having a gift 645z with three lenses:
FA 120mm macro, FA 55mm f/2.8 and the A 150mm f3.5.
I wonder do what do you advice for the uv filter and in general for filters in regards to 645 lenses?

regards

Fatlind

09-30-2016, 10:53 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Hello Fatlind, and welcome to the forums Congratulations on your 645Z and lenses - what a fantastic gift!!

The subject of filters isn't specific to your particular camera or lenses. What's applicable for the 645Z is applicable to any other DSLR or mirrorless camera and most lenses. In the case of UV filters, they have no optical benefit with digital photography, but some of us fit them to protect the glass from potential damage.

You will get polarised opinions here. Many will tell you not to use UV filters because they can degrade the image, and that you'd be better off using hoods to protect the front. Others will tell you that they always fit UV filters and how it has saved one or more of their lenses from damage. I used to be in that latter group, but over time find myself settling somewhere between the two.

Every one of my lenses is fitted with Hoya HMC UV(c) Slim Line filters. Based on reviews and my own tests, I find these have minimal detrimental effect on image quality; little enough that on wide, normal and short-tele lenses it is impossible to see any difference with the filter fitted or removed when viewing shots at 1:1 reproduction (pixel peeping). With long tele lenses (> 200mm, from my own tests) there can, however, be a very small degradation in sharpness and detail. Strangely, this seems to affect some lenses more than others (I have a lovely old Tamron Adaptall CT300 300mm prime where the degradation is quite noticeable when pixel peeping, yet my Sigma 18-300 is barely affected at 300mm). That said, by the time I'm viewing images at typical screen or print sizes, any minor softening effect is no longer visible.

In addition to the above, any filter will increase the risk of flare when there is a strong light source in front of the lens, so you have to be aware of those situations and take appropriate action.

As I said, I have Hoya UV filters fitted to all of my lenses... however, if it's a dry, calm day, I remove the filters on the lenses I'm using so I know that I'm getting the best possible image quality. When it's wet, windy or dusty, when I'm at the beach, or in any environment where I may need to clean the front of the lens while shooting, I leave the filters in place.

Hope this helps
09-30-2016, 11:44 PM   #3
pjv
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Fatlind Quote
Filters for Pentax 645z lenses
Hi Fatlind. Welcome to the Pentax forums and the 645Z. As Mike said, the use of filters polarizes ( no pun intended !!! ) the members here. I use them much like Mike does. My only caution would be to never buy cheap filters as they will degrade your images. Good to have you here.
10-01-2016, 12:18 AM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
You will get polarised opinions here.

...or opinions in favor of polarisers. At least polarisers provide a high degree of protection* as well as have utility in enhancing saturation of a scene and reducing reflections.

*Polarisers have thicker glass in them

10-01-2016, 12:21 AM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I wouldn't worry too much about UV filters as they really aren't necessary and often cause more harm than good. Hoods do a good job of protecting the front element

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

10-01-2016, 11:13 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Hello Fatlind, and welcome to the forums Congratulations on your 645Z and lenses - what a fantastic gift!!

The subject of filters isn't specific to your particular camera or lenses. What's applicable for the 645Z is applicable to any other DSLR or mirrorless camera and most lenses. In the case of UV filters, they have no optical benefit with digital photography, but some of us fit them to protect the glass from potential damage.

You will get polarised opinions here. Many will tell you not to use UV filters because they can degrade the image, and that you'd be better off using hoods to protect the front. Others will tell you that they always fit UV filters and how it has saved one or more of their lenses from damage. I used to be in that latter group, but over time find myself settling somewhere between the two.

Every one of my lenses is fitted with Hoya HMC UV(c) Slim Line filters. Based on reviews and my own tests, I find these have minimal detrimental effect on image quality; little enough that on wide, normal and short-tele lenses it is impossible to see any difference with the filter fitted or removed when viewing shots at 1:1 reproduction (pixel peeping). With long tele lenses (> 200mm, from my own tests) there can, however, be a very small degradation in sharpness and detail. Strangely, this seems to affect some lenses more than others (I have a lovely old Tamron Adaptall CT300 300mm prime where the degradation is quite noticeable when pixel peeping, yet my Sigma 18-300 is barely affected at 300mm). That said, by the time I'm viewing images at typical screen or print sizes, any minor softening effect is no longer visible.

In addition to the above, any filter will increase the risk of flare when there is a strong light source in front of the lens, so you have to be aware of those situations and take appropriate action.

As I said, I have Hoya UV filters fitted to all of my lenses... however, if it's a dry, calm day, I remove the filters on the lenses I'm using so I know that I'm getting the best possible image quality. When it's wet, windy or dusty, when I'm at the beach, or in any environment where I may need to clean the front of the lens while shooting, I leave the filters in place.

Hope this helps
Thank you Mike taking the time and the great advice. Sending regards! Fatlind
10-01-2016, 11:14 PM - 1 Like   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pjv Quote
Hi Fatlind. Welcome to the Pentax forums and the 645Z. As Mike said, the use of filters polarizes ( no pun intended !!! ) the members here. I use them much like Mike does. My only caution would be to never buy cheap filters as they will degrade your images. Good to have you here.
Thank you pjv taking the time and emphasizing the advice. Sending regards!
10-01-2016, 11:15 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
...or opinions in favor of polarisers. At least polarisers provide a high degree of protection* as well as have utility in enhancing saturation of a scene and reducing reflections.

*Polarisers have thicker glass in them
Thank you Digitalis taking the time and pointing in another area. Sending regards!

10-01-2016, 11:16 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I wouldn't worry too much about UV filters as they really aren't necessary and often cause more harm than good. Hoods do a good job of protecting the front element
Thank you Adam taking the time and sharing your experience. Sending regards!
10-01-2016, 11:37 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Seconded! It means you don't have to worry about buying UV filters as hoods often come with lenses these days; hoods increase contrast and reduce flare, and you don't have to worry about vignetting or getting filters unstuck from threads. For what it's worth, modern lens coatings have kept my glass safe in dusty deserts, sandy beaches, torrid rainfall and misty waterfalls.
10-02-2016, 03:11 AM   #11
Moderator PEG Judges

I'll just say welcome to the forum, as you had great replies to you question already and I didn't know the answer either.
10-03-2016, 08:16 AM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lithedreamer Quote
Seconded! It means you don't have to worry about buying UV filters as hoods often come with lenses these days; hoods increase contrast and reduce flare, and you don't have to worry about vignetting or getting filters unstuck from threads. For what it's worth, modern lens coatings have kept my glass safe in dusty deserts, sandy beaches, torrid rainfall and misty waterfalls.
Thank you lithe dreamer so much
10-03-2016, 08:58 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Wow, what a great gift you have received. Congratulations!
I don't use any filters 95% of the time and just use a 77mm variable ND on occasion.
10-03-2016, 11:34 PM   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
Wow, what a great gift you have received. Congratulations!
I don't use any filters 95% of the time and just use a 77mm variable ND on occasion.
Thank you mattb123 for your input. Regards