Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-07-2016, 01:44 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi Dan - welcome to the forums, great to have you with us. You're already getting plenty of great advice, so I can't add anything of value - other than to say, once you've got your camera, please ask if there's anything we can help with. There are some highly experienced people here, both with photography generally and specifically Pentax equipment... and even I can help with the odd thing here and there

10-07-2016, 07:08 PM   #17
Site Supporter

Original Poster
First, thanks to each of you who have offered advice. I value experience and just now even more so when I have none. Sharing your experience and advice is most kind.

I think that I'm going to opt for a K-20D body. That one seems to me to meet the "sweet spot" of features and price, leaving some funds for older, quality fixed length lenses and perhaps post-processing software. I've read most of the reviews and done comparisons between models. I think that I have balanced view of the strengths and shortcomings of the K20D.

Many thanks for the tip regarding CS2 software. I do agree that jpegs are not the way to go. I intend to use RAW format so that I can learn post-processing software. I had some darkroom skills that no longer apply, so CS2 is the new darkroom and I'm the newbie. I do have a mid-2009 MacBook Pro that has been upgraded so I don't have to buy processing power.

I heartily agree that using older, good quality prime lenses in manual configuration will make more sense to me. I've been missing that kind of control of all elements. I never could overcome the auto-focus of my point-shoot that has been a major frustration so many shots when the near-at-hand leaves were in focus, rather than the bird a bit further away. I so look forward to regaining the control of depth of field and bokeh that the point-shoot could not manage.

The hunt is on...
10-07-2016, 10:03 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Be aware that manual focus on a dslr is more challenging than on film cameras of yesteryear. There is less light (some stolen for autofocus) and the screens are less contrasty. There are third party optional focusing screens but they may change metering depending on the exact type.

Just something to keep in mind.
10-08-2016, 12:43 AM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Be aware that manual focus on a dslr is more challenging than on film cameras of yesteryear. There is less light (some stolen for autofocus) and the screens are less contrasty. There are third party optional focusing screens but they may change metering depending on the exact type.
Agreed. I recommend adding an O-ME53 magnifying eyecup to the camera (it is compatible with the K20D)... this gives a 1.2x magnification of the viewfinder image which makes manual focusing just that little bit easier...

10-08-2016, 05:49 PM   #20
Site Supporter

Original Poster
More challenging focusing than my film camera. Who knew?

Not making fun, just realizing that there is much to learn, even in areas that would not have occurred to me. I'm blindly moving forward, assuming that the DSLR experience will be much the same as my film SLR experience, but with no darkroom time.

So a focusing screen may also add another variable. Oh my!

Thanks for the idea of the magnifying eyepiece. At my age I'm happy for any assist.

Dan
10-08-2016, 09:42 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The culprit is autofocus more than digital. To allow the focus system to draw off light and allow slow zooms to work, the systems use a focusing screen that is brighter and it also has less clear distinctions of in focus vs out of focus.
10-09-2016, 07:03 AM - 1 Like   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
The culprit is autofocus more than digital. To allow the focus system to draw off light and allow slow zooms to work, the systems use a focusing screen that is brighter and it also has less clear distinctions of in focus vs out of focus.
That is a very apt description. Good, bad or indifferent I have become fairly dependent on the focus confirm feature. Sometimes I end up doing some trial and error on focus to get it right. That is one thing about the K20D is that you cannot peak your focus in live view, but I still have learned to get the focus right almost all of the time with the K20D.