Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-10-2016, 07:31 AM   #1

Hello From Manchester UK - Soon To Be DSLR User

Hello everyone,
I have decided it is time I put a toe into the DSLR water, having only used compacts for the last 20+ years. My last SLR was the Olympus OM10 35mm, on which I took an awful lot of photos, so I'm not new to the concepts of film speeds etc., and f-stops and shutter speeds are part of my everyday life as a Vision Control Engineer in TV. I'm a bit rusty on some of the photography terminology though, such as ratings for flash guns, and I usually find the kind folks on dedicated forums are the right people to ask when you need help, so here I am.

My research has lead me to believe that the Pentax K50 Is the camera for me. It will be used mainly for capturing my ever-expanding family, as recording the key moments in my children's lives has resulted in a lot of photos over the last 30 years, and now we have grandchildren that need shooting (if you will excuse the expression!). Living adjacent to Manchester Airport, and with a life-long passion for civil aircraft, I'm also hoping to spend some time getting shots of the planes, so my plan is to buy the Pentax 55-300mm WR lens along with the K50 and 18-55mm lens, and see how I get on with that lot.

So, that's me, I'll try not to ask too many daft questions.

Dave.

10-10-2016, 07:53 AM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the clubhouse!

The K50 and that two lens set is a good start. I still use the 55-300. Technically it's my second 55-300. The first one was damaged in a fall and fixed for not too much money. Then it was damaged again in an incident with a deer and the dogs, and not repaired. It's a decent lens, just stop it down to f8 or so if you have the light. And don't compare it to pictures taken with $10K telephoto lenses! It's very portable, though, which has its own advantages.

You'll have fun learning the new system, DSLRs now are just amazingly good.
10-10-2016, 10:47 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forums.

If you do get the Pentax 55-300, I recommend you get the latest model Pentax HD DA 55-300mm f/4.5-6.3 ED PLM WR RE Lens. It has virtually silent AF. A shortcut to the model is below.

Amazon.com : Pentax HD DA 55-300mm f/4.5-6.3 ED PLM WR RE Lens : Camera & Photo
10-10-2016, 11:23 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by C_Jones Quote
Welcome to the forums.

If you do get the Pentax 55-300, I recommend you get the latest model Pentax HD DA 55-300mm f/4.5-6.3 ED PLM WR RE Lens. It has virtually silent AF. A shortcut to the model is below.

Amazon.com : Pentax HD DA 55-300mm f/4.5-6.3 ED PLM WR RE Lens : Camera & Photo
Thanks for the link. I am hoping to buy the lens as part of a bundle put together by a UK photography store, so it's unlikely to be the latest model. However planes don't tend to startle easily so the louder AF shouldn't be a problem.

Dave.

10-10-2016, 03:26 PM   #5

Welcome to the forum Dave.
10-10-2016, 09:00 PM   #6
pjv
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dads_Taxi Quote
Hello From Manchester UK - Soon To Be DSLR User
Hi Dave. Welcome to the Pentax forums. The new 55-300 is KAF4 and will not work on the K-50. It will work on the K-70 and the K-3II with a firmware update. Good to have you aboard.
10-10-2016, 11:58 PM - 1 Like   #7
Moderator PEG Judges
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to the forum, didn't everyone have an OM10 back in the day.
10-11-2016, 11:35 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hello Dave, and welcome to the forums - glad to have you with us

Just a thought... The Digital Splash photography expo is on at Exhibition Centre Liverpool on Saturday 15th & Sunday 16th October (this weekend!). It's a good opportunity to hand-hold and compare all the different cameras and lenses from the major manufacturers. Might even be some deals to be had...

10-12-2016, 10:45 AM - 1 Like   #9

Original Poster
Great Idea

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Hello Dave, and welcome to the forums - glad to have you with us

Just a thought... The Digital Splash photography expo is on at Exhibition Centre Liverpool on Saturday 15th & Sunday 16th October (this weekend!). It's a good opportunity to hand-hold and compare all the different cameras and lenses from the major manufacturers. Might even be some deals to be had...
That's a great idea, thanks for the suggestion. I'm on the website now, it looks great. Definitely going to try to get there. Will take credit card