Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-10-2016, 08:19 AM   #1

Bonjour from Geneva

Hi,

Long time lurker of this forum. I am based in Geneva and have been happily shooting with a 4/3 sensor. I am currently looking to get to the next level and buy a Pentax k-70 (or Nikon D5500) and decided to register to ask the community wisdom on my purchase.

Last edited by BigMackCam; 10-11-2016 at 11:26 PM. Reason: Edited D500 to D5500 on user's behalf
10-10-2016, 09:14 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome from Chicago!

I presume you mean Geneva, Switzerland not Geneva Illinois.
10-10-2016, 09:17 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forums. I have a Pentax K-3II and K-5IIS, and have never used a K-70, but it is a newer, well featured camera from what I have read in comments. The menu setup, image quality, and features of the Pentax cameras offer an excellent buyer experience for the user. Of course the upper tier models such as the K-1 snd K-3II offer the best in performance and build quality for the most part, but the K-70 is a new model and has the features that offer a fulfilling performance at an excellent potential level.

Last edited by C_Jones; 10-10-2016 at 09:22 AM.
10-10-2016, 09:06 PM   #4
pjv
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TheNewcomer Quote
Bonjour from Geneva
Hello from Australia !! Welcome to the Pentax forums. The K-70 looks to be a very good camera on paper, and the members here who have one ( not me ) think it is excellent. Good luck with your choice, and good to have you here.

10-11-2016, 12:00 AM   #5
Moderator PEG Judges

Welcome aboard, lurk no more, just jump right in whenever you want.
10-11-2016, 12:24 AM   #6

Original Poster
Yes Geneva, Switzerland. Funny how so many europeans city have a doppleganger in the US
Thanks for the warm welcome
10-11-2016, 11:45 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

Hello and welcome to the forums - glad you could join us

The K-70 and D500 are both excellent but quite different cameras in terms of what they offer, where they sit in their brands' product ranges, and therefore their relative prices. The K-70 is a high-spec mid-range camera, while the D500 is a top-of-the-range, super-high-spec APS-C sensor model, and the two aren't directly comparable in my opinion. Which of them might be best for you (and which others you should consider) depends wholly on what you actually need from your camera, and what you want from the lens eco-system you'll be buying into.

If you can give us some idea of your photographic interests and what you want to be able to do, we can hopefully offer some meaningful advice. My initial thoughts, though, are that those who actually need a D500 know that they need it, and it's probably overkill for many photographers...
10-11-2016, 11:15 PM   #8

Original Poster
Just noticed I typed D500 instead of D5500. I cannot seem to find the "edit" button

---------- Post added 10-11-16 at 11:21 PM ----------

Ok I cannot edit until I have three days of account life.

@BigMackCam I mainly shoot when I travel and therefore need a rugged camera which is why the weather resistant k-70 appealed to me a lot, however given I usually go on several days trek I also need a not too heavy with large battery camera which is where the D5500 has the advantage. I shoot only stills, landscapes and some portraits

10-11-2016, 11:55 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Hi,

Long time lurker of this forum. I am based in Geneva and have been happily shooting with a 4/3 sensor. I am currently looking to get to the next level and buy a Pentax k-70 (or Nikon D5500) and decided to register to ask the community wisdom on my purchase.
Welcome to the Forum. I would love to join you on a boat trip around Lake Lemain and photograph some scenes of the shore. Looking forward to seeing your posts.
10-12-2016, 12:55 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

Just noticed I typed D500 instead of D5500. I cannot seem to find the "edit" button
Ah, I see I've edited your initial post on your behalf.

I mainly shoot when I travel and therefore need a rugged camera which is why the weather resistant k-70 appealed to me a lot, however given I usually go on several days trek I also need a not too heavy with large battery camera which is where the D5500 has the advantage. I shoot only stills, landscapes and some portraits
Since you're taking your camera trekking, weather resistance is a big benefit and not to be underestimated. On a recent holiday, I went out in a fast speedboat to photograph grey seals, and my K-3 + DA*60-250 lens got soaked with spray from the waves. I was able to shoot without any concerns for my kit - all I had to do was wipe it down with a damp cloth and towel afterwards. That makes for a very liberating experience.

With Pentax cameras, shake reduction (SR) is built in to the camera body, so lenses generally don't need to have that capability, which saves weight. Nikon cameras rely on the lenses to offer the equivalent vibration reduction (VR) functionality. Pentax's 18-135mm lens is about 90g lighter than Nikon's 18-140mm, so you can see that the weight advantage of the D5500 is potentially less meaningful when you look at the camera and lens together. Overall, the Nikon is still lighter, yes - but the whole kit may only have a 100g advantage or thereabouts.

The K-70's high ISO performance is, according to reviews and sample image files, better than the D5500 by about one stop (from what I can tell) - so, at higher ISO settings (which you'll need in less than ideal light), the K-70's images will have less noise than those from the D5500. At ISO 12,800, the K-70's images have around the same amount of noise as the D5500 at ISO 6,400.

The D5500 has one major advantage over the K-70, and that is choice of OEM and third party lenses. With the K-70 you will have fewer currently-manufactured lenses to choose from; that said, there are plenty of lenses available to cover virtually any focal length you need.

Hope this helps
10-12-2016, 02:46 AM   #11

Original Poster
Thanks a lot @BigMackCam ! I did not think about the lens individual weight in the setup! That definitely help a lot. I guess I will go with the k-70 and bring a few battery packs along.
10-12-2016, 05:42 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

Weight doesn't really apply too much unless you're unable to hold heavy items up - and some people certainly can't. Then they need to find light systems.

Years ago I rented a 60-250 for an airshow, combined with my K10 the combination was about 2.5kg - which does get fatiguing over time. The lens worked great, and it was nice to have some weather resistance because it was a terrible misty day. Exactly the worst weather for an airshow - if the rain would have been worse, it would have been cancelled. As it was, some acts didn't perform. The Brazilian Smoke Squadron performed a low-altitude show - those guys are awesome.

I wouldn't consider the 60-250 a walkaround or hiking lens, though.
10-17-2016, 03:45 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes Geneva, Switzerland. Funny how so many europeans city have a doppleganger in the US
Thanks for the warm welcome
Welcome aboard. Yeah, I have never been able to figure out why so many cities in Europe are named after American cities. BTW. Just to set the record straight, Geneva, Illinois is named after Geneva, New York.
10-17-2016, 05:16 AM   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
Welcome aboard. Yeah, I have never been able to figure out why so many cities in Europe are named after American cities. BTW. Just to set the record straight, Geneva, Illinois is named after Geneva, New York.
Thanks a lot. To be fair, that is in fact even more confusing
10-17-2016, 06:47 AM   #15

Hi Newcomer
hopefully your choice will be a Pentax. There are so many reasons to buy one
Good luck
Eric