Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-20-2016, 07:21 AM - 1 Like   #1

Pentax user in Iowa

Hello - I have been a Pentaxian since the mid-70's and have enjoyed all of the cameras. I am strictly amateur for my own fun, I do some post processing, but for the most part simply take the photos as they come from the camera. My current Pentax is a K-5 which has been terrific. I am thinking about moving to the K3, but am having a hard time mentally justifying the cost.

I live in NW Iowa (a surprisingly hilly area) with lots of native prairie and beautiful vistas. I travel quite a bit to Colorado, both winter and summer.

I have been reading the forum for several years and finally decided I should step up and at least sign up as a user.

Thanks for all the great information I have gotten over the years.

Doug

10-20-2016, 07:26 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hello from Bettendorf Iowa. I have the K-3. Its a very nice upgrade from the K-5. You won't regret it. The larger screen is also a plus. I highly recommend it.
10-20-2016, 07:53 AM   #3
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome from a little further south of you.... I have a K-3 and cannot recommend it enough; it's a tank and is simply amazing to work with...
10-20-2016, 08:18 AM   #4
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome Doug

I used to live in various cities through out Iowa, '79 - '01 including Sioux City, which may be near you. Have been living in Kansas for 15 years

last year I bought a K 5 II and this August, I got a K 3. I like them both.

I started out shooting slides with a Pentax SLR in the '70s. Like you, I am strictly in the amateur classification.

Allen

10-20-2016, 12:04 PM   #5
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome, if justification is involved... it spoils the spirit of spontaneity, which just kills LBA, CBA, GAS and all the other acronyms that get applied to photography.
10-20-2016, 09:33 PM   #6
pjv
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dopalmer Quote
Pentax user in Iowa
Hi Doug from Australia. Welcome to the Pentax forums. Like the others who own a K-3, I can highly recommend it too. It is a wonderful piece of kit. Maybe if you can get the opportunity to rent one for a while, it might make the justification process easier ( or harder !! ). Good to have you here.
10-22-2016, 05:00 AM   #7
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hello Doug - welcome aboard! I have both the K-5 and K-3. I enjoy using both, and in many cases I don't see a huge advantage to one over the other, for the photography I do. The K-3 handles better in some respects - such as positioning of the AF button, which is much nicer if you use back-button-AF as I do. AF performance is certainly better, and that's probably my main reason for liking the K-3 so much. Also, if you pixel-peep, the K-3 does show the benefit of having no anti-aliasing filter - at 1:1 reproduction, images look sharper because they ARE sharper. But overall I still think the K-5 performs very well
10-22-2016, 06:16 PM   #8

Hey Doug from Ft Dodge. My name here should say it all. Still shoot several Pentax. But I sold my k3 a fine camera to finance my other drug of choice Sony A7.

10-24-2016, 07:44 AM   #9

Original Poster
Thanks for all the great comments. I wasn't sure how much information was appropriate for my first post.....I mentioned NW Iowa. I am 5th generation in Sioux City (wow, that sounds boring, but it has been a great place to raise my family). The original question was K5 vs K3. Lots of good comments. After hearing good comments and reviews, I will probably pull the trigger soon, not for any single reason other than I am a sucker for the next bright shiny object...
10-24-2016, 08:20 AM   #10
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dopalmer Quote
I will probably pull the trigger soon, not for any single reason other than I am a sucker for the next bright shiny object...
If we all shot with what we actually need, I'm sure very few of us would have the latest cameras. They surely are fun, though!!
10-24-2016, 01:25 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pentax user in Iowa

Hello Doug,

Welcome from another "Doug" ..originally from NW Iowa as well !! I've lived all around the country and currently reside just west of you in central Nebraska.

You're right about the unexpected hills in that area ...the mound at Ocheyedan used to be considered the highest point in IA.

I've added a K3 and a K3ii in the past year and love them both.

Best of luck,
10-25-2016, 08:01 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to the club.

I moved from K5 to K3II, which has been very good for field macro. Onboard GPS allows me to mount a Sunpak ring flash and keep the GPS. Removing the AA filter seems to have delivered photos with more detail and cropping capacity. Those were important to me. I did try to take both cameras at one point, but really need a sling system designed for two cameras instead of two slings.

It was my big purchase last year.

I think there's some good prairie restoration and preservation being done out your way.
10-25-2016, 02:07 PM   #13
Pentaxian

There's a lot of pretty country in Iowa. A lot of people don't know that the original Pike's Peak is in Iowa, an amazing Mississippi River bluff in the NE corner of the state, not far from Prairie du Chien, Wisconsin.
10-25-2016, 03:44 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by goatsNdonkey Quote
There's a lot of pretty country in Iowa. A lot of people don't know that the original Pike's Peak is in Iowa, an amazing Mississippi River bluff in the NE corner of the state, not far from Prairie du Chien, Wisconsin.
I've been there. Right by Yellow River Forest State National Park. It was our 8th grade summer camp trip. Lots of good memories.