Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-20-2016, 04:36 PM   #1

Hello pentax's family

Hi everyone ...before i registrate my self in the forum i read some threads and i really reconize how friendly and helpful people you are
I am simon from the netherlands
Since long i wanted to have good camera just to capture nice moments of life and whenni go vacation really nice landscape to shot but i was not able to buyba good camera so used normal small camera and I tried to fix the shots wiz lightroom and photoshoo and ibreally got nice pictures
Now i am able to buya good camera after saving the money and happen that my father in law having k5 and k3 ...he lent me now for month his k5 to try it and decide what kind of camera i want ...i like it soo much but I feel i want k3 just becouse the 24 mpxl not the 16 mpxl in k5

So now i am sure i want k3 but some friends pushing me to nikon d7200 ...as u known nikon is more popular and etc ....
Its kind make me crazy co i really saved the money i want be sure where I put them. ..i even see some site k3 vs d7200 and the result is tie
Maybe i just want ppl wiz experience like you to helo me

Thanks in advance

10-20-2016, 05:21 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome! Look at all the new friends you made who use Pentax, just by joining us

Nothing wrong with Nikon of course..especially of your friends loan you their lenses. Otherwise we here feel Pentax offers a lot of nice options for the price.
10-20-2016, 05:31 PM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

I have both a K3 and a Nikon d7100 which is pretty much just an earlier version of d7200. If it were me I would go to a store and handle the d7200 and see if it is a comfortable fit. There are positives and negatives with both camera's. A lot will depend on what type of photos you like to take. Nikon offers better sports style photography but the ergonomics in my opinion are not to same level as the Pentax nor is the actual feel of the camera.

If it is landscapes and all around camera for life's moments, travel and the like Pentax is as good or better than most. But birding and sports sorry but the Nikon is way in front.
10-20-2016, 06:12 PM   #4
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Welcome to PF Simon.

There are no bad DSLRs. You can't go wrong.

The K-3/K-3ii and 7200 have quite similar specifications:
https://www.dxomark.com/Reviews/Pentax-K-3-II-sensor-review-Reaching-for-the...n-class-sensor
Pentax K-3 vs Nikon D7200 Detailed Comparison

And the performance seems pretty similar too:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/172-pentax-k-3/302982-why-k3ii-worse-than...dio-scene.html

Pros and cons? The autofocus on the Nikon will be quicker, you would have a wider range of current lenses, it's easier to find accessories (e.g. every conceivable flash and trigger), there are far more shops selling Nikon gear, and the support options are probably better. The Pentax main advantages are value for money (by far), superior ergonomics and design, 40 years' worth of compatible lenses, in-built image stabilisation, and this forum!

If you want to be the same as your friends, get the Nikon. If you like something a little different, get the Pentax.

See more here:
Why buy Pentax in 2016? - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com

If you like the feel of the K-5, you will also like the K-3. You would enjoy it every time you use it. I have one and it's a great camera. The successor (K-3ii) has some extra features which might be worthwhile to you - notably pixel-shift and built in GPS (but at the expense of onboard flash/wireless flash controller). See this comparison (K-5iis v K-3 v K-3ii):
Pentax K-5 IIs vs. Pentax K-3 vs. Pentax K-3 II - Pentax Camera Comparison - PentaxForums.com

One more thing. Allow for some decent lenses in your budget. They make a great difference to the quality of the images you can get. Skip the kit lenses and at least get a decent walkaround zoom lens. (Search on this forum for many threads recommending lenses.)

Last edited by Des; 10-23-2016 at 02:08 PM.
10-20-2016, 08:08 PM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
One more thing. Allow for some decent lenses in your budget.
Which brings me to the point I was going to make. If all things are equal between the Nikon and Pentax, remember, you have a nice father-in-law that lent you his camera. Maybe after you get your Pentax he has a lens or two you can borrow occasionally!

Regards,
10-20-2016, 09:18 PM   #6
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by simonyalex Quote
Hello pentax's family
Hello to you Simon from Australia. Welcome to the Pentax forums. May I suggest to you that you look at the K-3II as well as the K-3. The K-3II will be able to use the new KAF4 lenses ( so far only the new 55-300 available ) but the K-3 will not get that firmware update. The K-3II has pixel-shift, built in GPS and is KAF4 capable, but no built-in flash. There are quite few very good used K-3II's around as many people want the K-1 now. Good luck with whichever you choose as they are both excellent bodies. ( I have a K-3 ) Good to have you here.
10-20-2016, 11:52 PM   #7
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, remember the final image is the important bit, the kit used to get there less important, but being in good company helps.

10-21-2016, 07:17 AM   #8

Original Poster
Thanks everyone ...really soo much helpfully tips
pjv suggest for me k3ii but i really cant afford it ...thank u soo much
And as kev.pride siad nikon is better in sport (but i think i will not shot sport ) mine will be more for landscapes and normal dialy pictures ...so i think i go for k3
So i dont miss also this friendly forum

My second question is my budget is really enough for new k3 wizout lenss ....is it oke for the beggining i buy k3 wiz 18-55 lens ??
10-22-2016, 04:18 PM - 1 Like   #9
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

my budget is really enough for new k3 wizout lenss ....is it oke for the beggining i buy k3 wiz 18-55 lens ??
It's a bit like buying a sports car and driving only in second gear.

But the kit lens is not really bad. It will do OK until you can afford something better, and it is good for learning with. If you are using it for landscapes, you will often need to use a narrower aperture, like f8 - and that happens to be where the kit lens is at its best. If you search the site, you will find many fine photos taken with variants of the 18-55 lens.

Down the track, you will probably want to replace it with one of the many good "walkaround" zooms, like the DA 16-85, DA 18-135, Sigma 17-70 C, Tamron 17-50 f2.8 or DA*16-50 f2.8 (to mention just a few options).

But if there really is nothing much left in the budget after buying the camera, what I would suggest in the meantime is that you also get a manual focus prime lens (ie fixed focal length), such as a 28mm, 35mm or 50mm lens. They can be bought very cheaply (less than 60 Euros) and will give you much better image quality than the kit lens, and a faster (wider) maximum aperture (e.g. f1.7 or f2.8). The wider aperture gives you more opportunity to shoot in low light without a flash, and also allows for short depth of field, which can be used creatively. It's also good to learn manual focus and a fixed focal length, to develop your skills. With a prime lens you learn to "see" the image before you lift the camera - and that's a very worthwhile skill to have.

Many landscape photographers love the old Pentax K, M and A series prime lenses (not to mention older screw-mount models). These are all manual focus. The K and M series (and third-party equivalents) have manual aperture setting - which means you need to meter the scene and set the aperture manually. Those with an "A" on the aperture ring (like the Pentax A series) allow the aperture to be set automatically by the camera.

Others here have far more experience with these than I do, but I had a Pentax-A 50mm f1.7 (about 50 Euros) that was fun to use, sharp and produced lovely colours. Good for portraits and landscapes, pets, flowers, anything. If 50mm is too long for a particular scene, photos can be stitched together afterwards with free software to create a panorama. But you might find one of the 28mm f2.8 lenses (there are plenty of different ones) more versatile.

Here's some more reading for you:
Exposure Basics: A Complete Guide for Beginners - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com
Manual Focus Lens Choices for Pentax - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com

And as @BigDave says, be nice to your father-in-law, Simon and he might lend you some lenses. :-) Pentaxians are generous.

Last edited by Des; 10-25-2016 at 02:17 PM.
10-24-2016, 02:56 AM - 1 Like   #10
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Hello, and a belated welcome to the forums - glad you could join us You've already had some great advice, so I won't add anything more just now...
10-24-2016, 04:47 AM - 2 Likes   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi everyone ...before i registrate my self in the forum i read some threads and i really reconize how friendly and helpful people you are
I am simon from the netherlands
Since long i wanted to have good camera just to capture nice moments of life and whenni go vacation really nice landscape to shot but i was not able to buyba good camera so used normal small camera and I tried to fix the shots wiz lightroom and photoshoo and ibreally got nice pictures
Now i am able to buya good camera after saving the money and happen that my father in law having k5 and k3 ...he lent me now for month his k5 to try it and decide what kind of camera i want ...i like it soo much but I feel i want k3 just becouse the 24 mpxl not the 16 mpxl in k5

So now i am sure i want k3 but some friends pushing me to nikon d7200 ...as u known nikon is more popular and etc ....
Its kind make me crazy co i really saved the money i want be sure where I put them. ..i even see some site k3 vs d7200 and the result is tie
Maybe i just want ppl wiz experience like you to helo me

Thanks in advance
As a recent convert to Pentax I can honestly say that I have been very impressed by the K3 and K3II. I have a Nikon D5500 which is a very good little camera which has the advantage of a touchscreen and wifi built in but which I find quite awkward to use when trying to learn new stuff although the auto settings are very easy to use. Meanwhile the menu and controls on the K3II are so easy to use and customise.

Lenses are my main issue with the Pentax, in that I can't get the 150-600mm Tamron or Sigma for Pentax so have to keep the Nikon for use with the big lens. However the number and quality of old manual lenses that are available for the Pentax is quite staggering, lovely 90mm and 135mm lenses including the Karl Zeiss Jena models. I've recently started collecting Tamron Adaptall-2 lenses with the CT-300 and CT-135 being my favourites so far and a 200mm coming soon, all very good and so far very cheap.

Welcome to the group.
10-24-2016, 02:35 PM - 1 Like   #13
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by limestonecowboy Quote
Lenses are my main issue with the Pentax, in that I can't get the 150-600mm Tamron or Sigma for Pentax so have to keep the Nikon for use with the big lens.
This is a common issue for people coming to Pentax - the shortage of current third-party AF lenses. Tamron has not released any new lenses for K-mount for some years (although Pentax has some Tamron-designed lenses in its range, including the DA 18-270 and DFA 15-30), and Sigma has only released a subset of its range. Tokina hasn't made K-mount lenses for many years.

On the positive side, compared with the situation a few years ago, there are far fewer gaps now in Pentax's own lens range - for example, the DFA 150-450 and DA 560 are long telephoto options, and there are very good f2.8 zooms for APS-C or FF. But at a price - each is quite expensive.

Incidentally, the value high-quality telephoto option, IMO, is the DA*300 f4 and DA 1.4x teleconverter; or the previous-generation F/FA*300 f4.5, which are compact and optically superb. Otherwise it's a Sigma 150-500 or 50-500.

Last edited by Des; 10-25-2016 at 02:15 PM.
10-25-2016, 07:37 AM - 2 Likes   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome!

Get a K3 and a couple pancake lenses (DA21, DA40) and make them jealous.
10-25-2016, 12:55 PM   #15

Original Poster
Cant say anything after
I definitely will buy k3 ...thanks every single one for the great help
I am sooo glad i found this forum really

A question !!
Someone i know offer me
tokina sd 12-24 f4 if dx at x pro
For 200 euro
But its can mounting on pentax k3 ???