Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-27-2016, 04:41 AM   #1

Hello from Holland

Hello everyone!

Basically I already started posting at the forums before saying hello here...how rude!

I am living near The Hague, in the west of Holland, not too far from the coast. Basically new into (serious) photography; only have experience with simple point and shoot cameras.

Just received a brand new K-70. Took a while to finally make that decision. Also considered a mft Panasonic camera and even several FF cameras like the K-1. But I think the K-70 should pretty much hit the sweet spot.

Briefly tried it out indoors last night. Seems an impresssive machine Gonna be fun getting the hang of it all, and figuring out all those different settings and possibilities.

Already acquired the 55-300 PLM, two old Pentax lenses: SMC Pentax-M 200mm F4 and the SMC Pentax-M 135mm F2.5, and the two plastic fantastic primes (35mm and the 50mm, their AF noise is actually not too bad).

Impressive how those old lenses just fit and work perfectly. Green button metering already seemed to work well without setting it in the menu first, but I got to look more into that.

Basically gonna use these old lenses for astrophotography mostly. Not that I can see any star from my extremely light polluted hometown though Other types of photography will be mostly nature and landscapes. Thinking about one last new lens: Sigma 17-70 or the 17-50 to cover the landscape wide angle field of view a bit better.

Btw, this website has been VERY helpful in finally choosing to go for Pentax (K-70). Excellent resource. Nice to be part of it.

Cheers!

10-27-2016, 05:23 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Leuk, nog een medelander!

Welcome to this, the true source of knowledge on all things Pentax!
10-27-2016, 05:32 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome from Chicago!
10-27-2016, 01:29 PM   #4
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, from just over the water to you, enjoy all find here.

10-27-2016, 06:49 PM   #5
pjv
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by koekie Quote
Hello from Holland
Hi koekie from Australia. Welcome to the Pentax forums. Good to have you here.
10-28-2016, 01:26 AM   #6
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hello and welcome to the forums - great to have you with us.

I have many fond memories from numerous visits to Holland for work and pleasure - in particular Den Haag, Amsterdam, Alkmaar, Volendam, Bergen aan Zee and Texel. As a child, I used to go on holiday to Holland with my school - we used to stay at the Het Witte Huis in Bergen. My headmaster took our holiday photos with a Pentax film SLR - I can't remember which model

Congratulations on your K-70 - looking forward to seeing what you do with it!
10-28-2016, 03:01 AM   #7
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Hello everyone!

... Thinking about one last new lens: Sigma 17-70 or the 17-50 to cover the landscape wide angle field of view a bit better.

Btw, this website has been VERY helpful in finally choosing to go for Pentax (K-70). Excellent resource. Nice to be part of it.

Cheers!
Welcome

we recently made our first, hopefully not last visit to Holland - Amsterdam - in transit to Tanzania and back. had a fantastic canal dinner cruise and a food walking tour while there. much too short of a visit

by the way, not knowing budget or any thing, but regarding your possible spending more euros, look at the thread for the Pentax 16 - 85 mm zoom here on the forum. I got one and really enjoy it.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/301618-da-1...at-can-do.html

Allen

Last edited by aslyfox; 10-28-2016 at 03:04 AM. Reason: added link
10-28-2016, 04:27 AM   #8

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for the warm welcomes

QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
Welcome

we recently made our first, hopefully not last visit to Holland - Amsterdam - in transit to Tanzania and back. had a fantastic canal dinner cruise and a food walking tour while there. much too short of a visit

by the way, not knowing budget or any thing, but regarding your possible spending more euros, look at the thread for the Pentax 16 - 85 mm zoom here on the forum. I got one and really enjoy it.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/301618-da-1...at-can-do.html

Allen
Glad you liked our country

Regarding the 16-85mm lens. I have been considering it. However, two things kind of stopped me from buying it: the price/value and the max aperture. Despite all the good stories and pictures, I am not sure if it's worth spending roughly 600 euros on it. And it isn't exactly a fast lens, so when the lights go out, then, well, so does this lens

Basically for 200 euros less you can get the Sigma 17-70, or the Sigma 17-50 for even less. Both are faster, and at least the Sigma 17-70 has a pretty good range and also a decent macro option. Not sure if the 16-85 is ok for macro?

I dunno, but since I am keen on shooting in low light as well, it seems to make more sense to buy the Sigma 17-70 instead of the Pentax 16-85.

10-28-2016, 04:38 AM   #9
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks everyone for the warm welcomes

Glad you liked our country

Regarding the 16-85mm lens. I have been considering it. However, two things kind of stopped me from buying it: the price/value and the max aperture. Despite all the good stories and pictures, I am not sure if it's worth spending roughly 600 euros on it. And it isn't exactly a fast lens, so when the lights go out, then, well, so does this lens

Basically for 200 euros less you can get the Sigma 17-70, or the Sigma 17-50 for even less. Both are faster, and at least the Sigma 17-70 has a pretty good range and also a decent macro option. Not sure if the 16-85 is ok for macro?

I dunno, but since I am keen on shooting in low light as well, it seems to make more sense to buy the Sigma 17-70 instead of the Pentax 16-85.
there is no "right" answer, one possible solution, can you rent any or all of the lenses and give them a personal try out? I am not sure what options are available to you but here in the US we have several options (I am planning on renting a Pentax 150 - 450 mm lens for our first trip to Yellowstone/Grand Tetons National Parks next june). sometimes the companies will even sell you an "experienced" lens after you have rented it if you want.

have you looked at this area of the forum for info:

Pentax Lens and Accessory Review Databases
Pentax Lens ReviewsThird-Party Pentax Lens ReviewsPentax Accessory ReviewsIn-Depth Lens Reviews

good luck and please let us see the results.
10-28-2016, 10:55 AM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
there is no "right" answer, one possible solution, can you rent any or all of the lenses and give them a personal try out? I am not sure what options are available to you but here in the US we have several options (I am planning on renting a Pentax 150 - 450 mm lens for our first trip to Yellowstone/Grand Tetons National Parks next june). sometimes the companies will even sell you an "experienced" lens after you have rented it if you want.

have you looked at this area of the forum for info:

Pentax Lens and Accessory Review Databases
Pentax Lens ReviewsThird-Party Pentax Lens ReviewsPentax Accessory ReviewsIn-Depth Lens Reviews

good luck and please let us see the results.
Thanks for the advice. But I am afraid renting won't realy help finding that unfindable "right" answer

Yes I am aware of the reviews and also the user reviews here. Great resource!
10-28-2016, 11:49 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Koekie, have you registered for one of the two Dutch Pentax forums? Who knows, you might find a forummember near you with one of the lenses you are considering. I'm in Heiloo, near Alkmaar and have the Tamron 17-50mm/f2.8, my duaghter in Utrecht has my Sigma 17-70mm/f2.8-4.5
10-30-2016, 01:33 PM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by newmikey Quote
Koekie, have you registered for one of the two Dutch Pentax forums? Who knows, you might find a forummember near you with one of the lenses you are considering. I'm in Heiloo, near Alkmaar and have the Tamron 17-50mm/f2.8, my duaghter in Utrecht has my Sigma 17-70mm/f2.8-4.5
Not yet no. Might be a good idea, thanks.