Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-27-2016, 01:59 PM   #1

Hello from Victoria, BC, Canada

I am new to the Pentax K-50 and DSLRs.
A few Q's.

1. What does SMC and AL WR stand for?
2. Shooting rain photographs. What ISO, F stop and shutter speed settings are needed?
3. Can flash light up rain droplets?

10-27-2016, 03:20 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, if you go to the K50 section of the forum and ask your questions I'm sure one of our friendly members will give you the answers you need.
10-27-2016, 03:28 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
SMC = multi coated lens treatment. It was engineered to reduce flare and ghosting. It is now superceded in performance by HD.
AL = is a lens element developed to correct for chromatic aberration
WR = weather resistant

Shooting in weather.... I'd be shooting at f5.6 and 400 or even 800 ISO to keep shutter speeds up. Your settings will be determined more by what you are shooting... Landscapes obviously wouldn't need higher ISO but would benefit from a tripod.

Flash absolutely shows rain drops.

Oh ya, I am from Vancouver Island originally- love shooting the coast when I return home.

Last edited by mattt; 10-27-2016 at 03:33 PM.
10-27-2016, 06:39 PM   #4
pjv
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by starcraftguy1 Quote
Hello from Victoria, BC, Canada
Hi Marc from Australia. Welcome to the Pentax forums. One of the many great attributes of this site is, you can post a question, put the kettle on make yourself a cuppa, and by the time you get back to your computer there can usually be an answer you sought !!! Good to have you here.

10-27-2016, 08:19 PM   #5
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Welcome to PF.

Further to @Mattt 's answer, if you are shooting with flash in the rain make sure the flash is weather-resistant! The popup on the K-50 is OK, but most external flashes are not. If you don't want reflections from the flash, maybe try to lower the flash output. If you are using the popup, use Flash Exposure Compensation between -1EV and -2EV, and don't be too ambitious with the ISO - if you go up to say 1600 ISO, the flash output will be less than if you go for say 100 ISO. Some people use polarizing filters to reduce glare from the flash, but I haven't tried this myself.
10-27-2016, 10:45 PM   #6
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to the forum, a pretty fast response to your questions, enjoy your time here.
10-29-2016, 01:45 AM   #7
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hello and welcome to the forums - great to have you with us.

You might want to read the following article - it explains what most of the lens acronyms and abbreviations mean:

DSLR Lens Terms and Abbreviations - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com

You've already had good advice on your other questions, so I won't add anything further.

Looking forward to your involvement here