Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-27-2016, 07:23 PM   #1

South Texas up in the mix.

Good evening everyone!

Im working on a project that will entail taking pictures of people in low light conditions, recording live music performances, and even music interviews. I got a Pentax k50 for a reasonable price, and may have just scored a nice DA 14mm f2.8 lens and a K5-II for 55 bucks. I need another lens for my k50 now but ill look in the for sale pages soon.

In my research I see that Pentax may not be the best for video recording, perhaps it would make sense to sell the K5-II and upgrade to a more capable Pentax? (video wise).

Main goal is to practice practice practice night shooting and hone the video skills. My partners all have canons, 80D is the king of the hill.......for now.

10-27-2016, 08:57 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome!

I shoot no video so I can't help with that question, but others here can, no doubt.
10-27-2016, 10:06 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sadly no Pentax is all that good at video. A good friend of mine after 20 years with Pentax just sold his gear and moved to Canon as his music video shooting had outgrown Pentax. I don't know if he would be willing to discuss his reasons but if you PM me your email information I will pass it to him. Your needs may not be the same.
10-27-2016, 10:49 PM   #4
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Welcome aboard, I'm just a stills photographer, but with later Pentax cameras and fast lenses I'm able to get what I need.

10-29-2016, 01:55 AM   #5
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Hello and welcome to the forums - glad you could join us.

As has already been mentioned, there are better choices than Pentax for video. For stills photography, I don't think you can get better - different, but not better. Video, though, is a weak point. It's definitely possible to produce good video with Pentax cameras, and we have some professional video folks here on the forums who may be able to advise - but you need more skill and have to work at it harder than if you were to use something like Canon, Sony or Panasonic.
10-30-2016, 07:42 PM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks for the advice!

For night shooting, which camera should I keep, the k-50 or K5-II
10-30-2016, 09:12 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Young_buck Quote
Thanks for the advice!

K5ii seems like the logical choice but I have only used the k50 and k3 so I can't give direct feedback. Both use the same sensor but the k5ii has 14 but raw which could be helpful.

10-30-2016, 09:51 PM   #8

Thanks for the advice!

Keep the K5II for lower light shooting. Also better in several other areas.
10-31-2016, 06:52 AM   #9

Original Poster
Wow, well....the K5 II comes in the mail today, I bought some batteries from Amazon for it, (Prime FTW) the owner wasn't sure if it worked.....he just threw it in with the lens purchase I made. It was his dead uncles...yeesh. hopefully it works, and isn't haunted...like in every pic I take, his ghostly face comes out haha.
10-31-2016, 11:20 PM   #10

Wow, well....the K5 II comes in the mail today, I bought some batteries from Amazon for it, (Prime FTW) the owner wasn't sure if it worked.....he just threw it in with the lens purchase I made. It was his dead uncles...yeesh. hopefully it works, and isn't haunted...like in every pic I take, his ghostly face comes out haha.
In setting up your K5II, I HIGHLY recommend setting up to focus using the method described in the thread titled-
Perfect Focus Everytime
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/38-photographic-technique/236970-perfect-...everytime.html
It works so intuitively in the K5 series.
This unfortunately won't help as you're shooting video, because you will have to focus manually for that. But for stills it works magic.
11-02-2016, 07:31 AM   #11

Original Poster
It was Dia De Los Muertos.....and against advice I took the K50 out for NIGHT shots, trial by fire.....It was awful, I missed so many opportunities, so many blurry shots. Extremely demoralizing.

Used Auto and SCN modes....in SCN mode, I used night snap, and night portrait. The lens I'm using is SMC Pentax-DA 14mm F2.8.

Im getting a little into it, so I should probably take this to the appropriate forum.

Ill also look into the K5 Tutorial....in my anger last night I took the only lens and memory card I have put it on the K5 II and quickly snapped some nicer pics in near darkness than I did low light with the K50, in Tv mode.

Last edited by Young_buck; 11-02-2016 at 10:01 AM.
11-02-2016, 10:33 PM   #12

It was Dia De Los Muertos.....and against advice I took the K50 out for NIGHT shots, trial by fire.....It was awful, I missed so many opportunities, so many blurry shots. Extremely demoralizing.

Used Auto and SCN modes....in SCN mode, I used night snap, and night portrait. The lens I'm using is SMC Pentax-DA 14mm F2.8.

Im getting a little into it, so I should probably take this to the appropriate forum.

Ill also look into the K5 Tutorial....in my anger last night I took the only lens and memory card I have put it on the K5 II and quickly snapped some nicer pics in near darkness than I did low light with the K50, in Tv mode.
I'm not sure how far along in experience you are, perhaps this will help: In darker conditions, perhaps motion blur is the issue. Higher ISO (but not too high, - noise!), then stabilize the camera as best you can and slow the shutter down. Keep the lens at aperture 2.8.