Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-02-2016, 04:44 PM   #1

Welcome from Beautiful, Natural British Columbia (I'm from Delta, BC)

I'm a first-time owner of a Pentax DSLR (K70) which I just bought (still to arrive from Amazon). I have been shooting (taking pictures) since I was 8 and has owned mostly Canon SLRs - Canon EF, Ftb, AE-1 Program and Canon EOS 600. Still kept them all including a whole bunch of FD and EF lenses, Vivitar 283 and 285 flash units. However, my first camera was a Yashica 35 mm rangefinder. I also still have my Rollei 110 and Minolta 16 cameras. Did a lot of photography assignments during my film days including quite a few wedding photography assignments. I used to travel worldwide on business and I still do a lot of traveling today, mostly with my wife and family. Will be going (again) to spend time in Waikiki, Hawaii (my favorite vacation spot in addition to California, in a week to try out the new K70. I also bought two extra batteries and charger and remote triggers so I can use my old Vivitar flash units. I enjoy and appreciate looking at great images as well as taking them myself - portraits, landscapes and, of course, my pet's photos. I hope I didn't make a mistake in the K70. I've read some negative reviews about it's video capabilities, but we'll see. I was choosing between the Canon T6S, 70D and the K70, but because I've seen some of the images from the reviews as well as those posted in this forum from other Pentax units, I bought the K70. I'm looking forward to participating in this forum.

11-02-2016, 05:05 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hello Manny
Welcome to the forum. I look forward to seeing your photos and hope your new K-70 arrives quickly and lives up to your expectations.
Kind regards,
Mark
11-02-2016, 05:17 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks, Mark. Will definitely post some photos once I get familiar with the camera.
11-02-2016, 05:32 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You're welcome. Certainly no shortage of photographic opportunities in your town!

11-02-2016, 06:21 PM   #5

Welcome, I went to UBC for grad school. I really miss BC!
11-02-2016, 10:04 PM   #6
pjv
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hi Manny from Australia. Welcome to the Pentax forums, and the K-70. Looking forward to seeing some of your images, and have you joining in the discussions too. Good to have you aboard.
11-03-2016, 03:31 AM   #7
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hello Manny, and welcome aboard

All cameras have strengths and weaknesses; Pentax's main weakness is, indeed, video - but you should know we have members who use Pentax DSLRs for professional video production, and do so very successfully. Techniques matter greatly, and if you apply good techniques, you can produce great video.

As far as stills photography is concerned, I don't think you could have done much better than the K-70! Overall, I think it was a great choice.

Last edited by BigMackCam; 11-03-2016 at 07:46 AM.
11-03-2016, 06:24 AM   #8
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to the forum, I've still got two a couple of 283s around the place.

11-03-2016, 01:29 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Manny, in BC's wet weather you will absolutely love Pentax WR! Get out and shoot! Some of the best images can be captured on rainy days.
11-03-2016, 02:59 PM   #10

Original Poster
Thanks for all the welcome messages! Got my K70 about an hour ago. Just opened the box when the better half said time for us to go (shopping). I'm excited as this is my first DSLR camera. Looking forward to getting home to test this baby out. First shots will, of course, be those of our pet, Charlie!
11-03-2016, 03:07 PM   #11
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Congratulations - how exciting

Let us know how you get on?